Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
Hello all--

I have some news about the new book on Gilmore Oil Company. It has gone to press in China and should be back in the states and ready for sale by Sept 1.

Title is "Roar With Gilmore, the Story of America's Most Unusual Oil Company" by Charles Seims (me) and Alan Darr. 240 pages, hardcover and with over 200 photos, most never before published. Two chapters are devoted exclusively to Gilmore's racing sponsorship at Ascot, Gilmore Stadium, Indy and Bonneville. There is a chapter devoted to Alan's incredible Gilmore collection (in color). For instance, he has ten double sided Gilmore globes, all original and no duplicates.

Price of the book has been determined at $50.00 plus $7 for the mailer and postage in USA. I wanted to post some sample pages but try as I might I have been unable to make the photo program accept my downloads. However, if you are interested, e-mail me at charles0644@aol.com and I will send you some by return mail.

We are also looking for dealers so if you sell books along with petroliana, you would do well with these.

This has been a ten year project for me and it has had the full support of the A. F. Gilmore Co.

Regards, Chas Seims

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking forward to seeing it in print

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Probably an understatement, Sounds like a lot of work. Glad after tens years you were able to get it done.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can't wait, put me down for 2.....

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A little "factoid" about the slogan "Roar With Gilmore" that I assume most do not know...

In 1932, there was a Gilmore employee contest to come up with a new slogan for Gilmore. Frank Ryan, a Seattle sales rep, came up with "Roar With Gilmore" and won it. His prize..... $150.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Can hardly wait. I've had the pleasure of seeing Alan's collection in person and it is something else. Plus, he is about the nicest person you could hope to meet.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I wish it wasn't printed in China I would rather pay $75 and have it printed in the states! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
R
OP Offline
R
Yes, I would like to support our American workers too. But the laws of economics are squarely against it. You guys are all rabid fans and so "pre-programmed" to purchase a book, so to speak. But we can't pay off our huge investment on just petroliana fans--we have to tempt those who know nothing about the subject but are browsing in a book store, flip through ours and say "this is neat, I'd like to know more about this Gilmore company." Would those people shell out $75.00? We don't think so.

In the book business, it's well known that there is a "glass ceiling" on books costing over $50.00. They sell much slower than ones costing under. Another reason for using a Chinese source is that presses are the most advanced and sophisticated in the world. For instance, the 200 plus photos in our book are reproduced without being broken up into the small dot patterns. The sharpness is as good as the original photographic image. I have never heard of this process before, but it makes for fantastic quality (I have seen a set of press (paper) proofs so far). So the choice would be (1) high quality $75.00 book printed in America, (2) lower quality book at $50.00 printed here, or (3) high quality $50.00 book printed in China. This is a scary decision to make, and in light of the fact that the great majority of self-published books don't even make their production costs I think we made the right decision. The huge advantage of self-publishing is that we controlled the proces all the way through layout and production, as contrasted with merely turning the text and photos over to an edition who neither knows nor cares anything about the subject. We are printing 2000 copies and had to pay for it all up front, so we have to go with what we believe will give the best retulrn. If this book doesn't sell well, I will be applying for food stamps.

Chas Seims

Last edited by Red Lion; Sat Jul 26 2014 06:29 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I understand where you are coming from but the U.S. Is or was the largest market in the World and my self and if many others don't buy this book because it's printed in China might make a difference. Sorry if your going on food stamps but what about the 5000 American printers that are on food stamps!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I cannot wait til this book is released! Please keep us updated with the latest information on purchasing this!

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Anyone have an idea of what one of those plywood "Dominics" might be worth?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few Benjamins...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is also the older version. MUCH harder to find, but they are out there...

PH_ST_CA_LOS-ANGELES_UNK_6367-ALAMEDA.jpg
Last edited by GILMORE; Sat Jul 26 2014 10:36 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hancock-oil
I understand where you are coming from but the U.S. Is or was the largest market in the World and my self and if many others don't buy this book because it's printed in China might make a difference. Sorry if your going on food stamps but what about the 5000 American printers that are on food stamps!

I'm with you Jim, it won't be in my meager collection.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks for the pictures "Gilmore".
That is one kool piece......WOW!
Undoubtedly extra scarce.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting comment.
Krause Publications printed the "Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps" in China. Where was the outrage then?
Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wayne and Scott's books are printed in the united states seems like they can make a go of it! Jim

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ron , you are correct , who cares where something is made , as long as it stamped , casted , printed and so on !

I can't wait for the book , I will Buy 2

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
All about the profits, bottom line. The way of the world now.Very few still respect and stand up for America and its workers and the business's that built this great Nation.
Ethics , your word, a hand shake used to be the rule but sorry to say it is all being forsaken for GREED !

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
OOOOPS blush Looks like some collectors on here are going to have to lighten their petro book collections whilst trying to get the egg off their faces. grin grin

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I think all of Schiffer Publishing's books were printed in China...I was looking at the 'Oil Cans' book just the other night, and I could swear that it says 'Printed in China'...I might be wrong - I'll check all of my petro books tonight...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry guys I just care about your friends relatives and the future of are country.
We make a point and it's not always possible to buy products made in the U.S.A.
We live in the silicone valley and have seen so many jobs lost to over seas cheaper labor. Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd like to know how conscientiously some of you shop "American" on a daily basis. You want to cut off the "little guy's" nose to spite the faces of all the "big guys" who put him in the position of having to go offshore to fulfill his American Dream. That'll show those ba$&%&%ds.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It is about the book.
Clothes, cars, electronics, they are all coming back here to be made. Good quality people here still and pricing has come down in some areas.
Like any other business, price, quality, and service.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...ALL of the Schiffer books were printed in China...two of my Motorbooks Int'l books were printed in the states, but the Mobil Collectors' book was printed in Hong Kong...a couple were unmarked...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: Ron Scobie
Interesting comment.
Krause Publications printed the "Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps" in China. Where was the outrage then?

It would be interesting if those people that are refusing to buy the Gilmore book didn't treat this as a
rhetorical question and answered why they have "An Illustrated Guide To Gas Pumps" in their collections,
not to mention having a few copies.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Maybe they should retool and rethink as the Chinese do all the time. Companies change with the times, Even the Chinese are loosing business back to the US.
India is now losing the market in phone answering business because poor service and people can't understand them.
Change is tough, lost out to progress and had to alter my business.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bppierce

It would be interesting if those people that are refusing to buy the Gilmore book didn't treat this as a
rhetorical question and answered why they have "An Illustrated Guide To Gas Pumps" in their collections,
not to mention having a few copies.

Received them as a Gift from author.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Come on Sept 1st!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I will be ordering a copy, because the information, and the effort that went into it are slightly more important that where the book was printed. However, we Scott and I broke with publishers over a decade ago over several issues, including this one. Since that time we've self published, and any book published by PCM Publishing will be printed in the United States, regardless of cost. And to anyone who has seen the "Hundred Years" book, the quality that can be found in Minnesota where it was printed is certainly equal to any found anywhere else in the world.

Wayne Henderson

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Has anyone purchased a copy of this book yet?

#571767 Tue Sep 30 2014 06:16 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Just wanted to mention that the new book on Gilmore Oil Company is nearly ready to ship. Title is "Roar With Gilmore, The Story of America's Most Unusual Oil Company." It is 240 pages, 320 photographs, hardbound. Price including a sturdy storage box is $52.00, plus $5.00 for USPS, for a total of $57.00.

I have an advance copy and wanted to mention that the printing quality is about the best I have ever seen.

Available from:

Roar With Gilmore,
P.O. Box 91
Longview, WA 98632

We should be able to ship around October 15. I will post when we get them in.

Charles Seims

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Has anyonr purchased the book yet? This is all i've been able to find so far.
-Anthony

http://alumni.usc.edu/news/authors/newest_titles.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Anthony, this might give you the answer you are looking for?

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=571767

I see the book is being "sold" here, in Longview...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes! Thank you Bob.

#577505 Wed Oct 29 2014 07:39 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello Everyone--

I'm most happy to report that as of October 29 we FINALLY have received the shipment of Gilmore books from the printer. We are shipping them out now and taking new orders. The title is Roar With Gilmore, the Story of America's Most Unusual Oil Company. Authors are Charles Seims and Alan Darr.

The book is hardbound with 240 pages and over 300 photographs, some in full color. It measures 9 1/2" x 13" and comes in its own custom storage box. On the For Sale forum I will post the price and ordering information.

For those of you in Southern California I have a book signing at Autobooks/Aerobooks in Burbank on Saturday November 15. Don't know the time yet but check their website. I would enjoy meeting you all if you can make it by.

Charles Seims

#577508 Wed Oct 29 2014 07:51 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I was going to post price and ordering information on the For Sale forum but find I do not have access to it.

The title is Roar With Gilmore, the Story of America's Most Unusual Oil Company. Authors are Charles Seims and Alan Darr.

The book is hardbound with 240 pages and over 300 photographs, some in full color. It measures 9 1/2" x 13" and comes in its own custom storage box.

If you are interested, please call Alan Darr in Longview WA at (360) 425-2463 or write him at alandarr@hotmail.com

These are available for immediate shipment.

-Charles Seims

Red Lion #577554 Thu Oct 30 2014 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How about contacting Jim Potts and having the book sold thru this web site? You'd probably get a lot of benefit from it.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #577571 Thu Oct 30 2014 09:38 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with Kevin!

Highway66 #577913 Sat Nov 01 2014 09:35 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I purchased 2 copies of the Gilmore book today. IMO, it is well worth the $$$. Lots of photo's that I hadn't seen before, detailed info on many aspects of the co.'s involvement with racing, advertising, marketing, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I won't "bash" the book... all I'm going to say is that if you use this book for reference, make sure you research/check elsewhere as there are quite a few errors in it, especially the racing section(s).

Typo's are understandable, poor research is not.

GILMORE #587801 Sun Dec 21 2014 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Was just talking to someone about this book, and about the section with Ab Jenkins and the Mormon Meteor.

I do not know why they dedicated 8 pages to it's history and why none of the photos are from the Gilmore year it ran. It's their book, I guess they like the car. In the one photo they DO claim it is carrying the Gilmore logo, they guessed wrong.

Exerpt from the book pg. 179...

Quote:
"Gilmore's Red Lion is depicted in the small circle on the dorsal fin of the Meteor III."

This is not the photo from the book but, same car, same livery. As you can see, what is "depicted in the small circle" is not the Gilmore lion, but a version of the Utah State Seal.

EDIT: No... it's not BRAK, from SPACE GHOST, either! Although, it does kinda look like him.

abjenkins.jpg abjenkins_brak.jpg
Last edited by GILMORE; Mon Dec 22 2014 12:16 AM.

GILMORE #587802 Sun Dec 21 2014 11:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is what the car looked like, with Gilmore livery, in the 1940 run (a 1941 run was planned but, due to course conditions, an "official" run didn't happen)...

abjenkins_1.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved