Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
OP Offline
R
Hello all--

I have some news about the new book on Gilmore Oil Company. It has gone to press in China and should be back in the states and ready for sale by Sept 1.

Title is "Roar With Gilmore, the Story of America's Most Unusual Oil Company" by Charles Seims (me) and Alan Darr. 240 pages, hardcover and with over 200 photos, most never before published. Two chapters are devoted exclusively to Gilmore's racing sponsorship at Ascot, Gilmore Stadium, Indy and Bonneville. There is a chapter devoted to Alan's incredible Gilmore collection (in color). For instance, he has ten double sided Gilmore globes, all original and no duplicates.

Price of the book has been determined at $50.00 plus $7 for the mailer and postage in USA. I wanted to post some sample pages but try as I might I have been unable to make the photo program accept my downloads. However, if you are interested, e-mail me at charles0644@aol.com and I will send you some by return mail.

We are also looking for dealers so if you sell books along with petroliana, you would do well with these.

This has been a ten year project for me and it has had the full support of the A. F. Gilmore Co.

Regards, Chas Seims

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking forward to seeing it in print

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Probably an understatement, Sounds like a lot of work. Glad after tens years you were able to get it done.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can't wait, put me down for 2.....

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A little "factoid" about the slogan "Roar With Gilmore" that I assume most do not know...

In 1932, there was a Gilmore employee contest to come up with a new slogan for Gilmore. Frank Ryan, a Seattle sales rep, came up with "Roar With Gilmore" and won it. His prize..... $150.

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Can hardly wait. I've had the pleasure of seeing Alan's collection in person and it is something else. Plus, he is about the nicest person you could hope to meet.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I wish it wasn't printed in China I would rather pay $75 and have it printed in the states! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
R
OP Offline
R
Yes, I would like to support our American workers too. But the laws of economics are squarely against it. You guys are all rabid fans and so "pre-programmed" to purchase a book, so to speak. But we can't pay off our huge investment on just petroliana fans--we have to tempt those who know nothing about the subject but are browsing in a book store, flip through ours and say "this is neat, I'd like to know more about this Gilmore company." Would those people shell out $75.00? We don't think so.

In the book business, it's well known that there is a "glass ceiling" on books costing over $50.00. They sell much slower than ones costing under. Another reason for using a Chinese source is that presses are the most advanced and sophisticated in the world. For instance, the 200 plus photos in our book are reproduced without being broken up into the small dot patterns. The sharpness is as good as the original photographic image. I have never heard of this process before, but it makes for fantastic quality (I have seen a set of press (paper) proofs so far). So the choice would be (1) high quality $75.00 book printed in America, (2) lower quality book at $50.00 printed here, or (3) high quality $50.00 book printed in China. This is a scary decision to make, and in light of the fact that the great majority of self-published books don't even make their production costs I think we made the right decision. The huge advantage of self-publishing is that we controlled the proces all the way through layout and production, as contrasted with merely turning the text and photos over to an edition who neither knows nor cares anything about the subject. We are printing 2000 copies and had to pay for it all up front, so we have to go with what we believe will give the best retulrn. If this book doesn't sell well, I will be applying for food stamps.

Chas Seims

Last edited by Red Lion; Sat Jul 26 2014 06:29 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I understand where you are coming from but the U.S. Is or was the largest market in the World and my self and if many others don't buy this book because it's printed in China might make a difference. Sorry if your going on food stamps but what about the 5000 American printers that are on food stamps!

West Coast signs, globes and quarts
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I cannot wait til this book is released! Please keep us updated with the latest information on purchasing this!

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Anyone have an idea of what one of those plywood "Dominics" might be worth?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few Benjamins...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is also the older version. MUCH harder to find, but they are out there...

PH_ST_CA_LOS-ANGELES_UNK_6367-ALAMEDA.jpg
Last edited by GILMORE; Sat Jul 26 2014 10:36 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hancock-oil
I understand where you are coming from but the U.S. Is or was the largest market in the World and my self and if many others don't buy this book because it's printed in China might make a difference. Sorry if your going on food stamps but what about the 5000 American printers that are on food stamps!

I'm with you Jim, it won't be in my meager collection.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved