Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#552374 Fri Jul 11 2014 09:19 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
When did sign companies begin using aluminum for signs? I have a couple old signs that look REALLY old, but they are aluminum. I hung them on my reproduction wall because of that. Now, I've had several collectors tell me that some companies used aluminum clear back in the 1930s???? I had never heard this. I looked up some info and found that aluminum was around far earlier than that, but I can't find anything indicating when they started using it for signage. Any ideas?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a 40's Exide batteries sign that's aluminum that information says do to WW2 and the need for steel they had to use aluminum.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I also have several 40s era signs, fertilizer ones, that are aluminum.

Good oil cans don't wait for people, people wait for them.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most Sign Company's started using alum after WWII. Because of the War effort many Alum Company's were built; Therefor the cost of producing Alum was dropped down to pennies on the pound...

Some Sign Company's did use alum for signage in the 30s... But, the cost of producing alum was very high, as it took/takes a "ton" of electricity to produce alum... So most signs were neon and/or large "high dollar" signage...

Here in the State of WA, where Hydro Power because of Grand Coulee Dam, Bonneville Dam and the BPA, was/is plentiful and electricity was/is cheap; Was the home of some of the largest Alum Plants in the World...

One of those was here in Longview...

Now most alum comes from Overseas where there are no real regulations on Industrial Waste and where Coal is cheap and pollution is not regulated as closely as here in the States and Canada...

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Some Traffic Sign companies started using cast aluminum back in the 1920s.

Here are some ads from 1930 out of a traffic guide index for the Alumoyd company which used cast aluminum.

Alumoyd Sign.jpg Alumoyd Sign 2.jpg

Aaron

Looking for National Old Trails Road Signs NOTR and Arizona State/US Route and Road Signs.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a few aluminum signs for the early 20's

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I can't imagine that aluminum was readily available as a wartime substitute, for the very reasons Bob stated...seems like I heard/read somewhere that one of the reasons Japan went to war with the US, was that we refused to sell them aluminum...

...early examples aside, MOST aluminum signs are going to date to the post-war era...

...listen to the radio program in this link:

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5158&title=%22Aluminum+for+Defense%22%3A+Rationing+at+Home+during+World+War+II

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...there's this, too, about the 'Spruce Goose'...note that aluminum was considered a 'strategic material':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-4_Hercules

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
During WWII, Boeing took every ounce of material that Reynolds Metal produced here in Longview (one of their largest facilities in the U.S.)... At their peak, Boeing in Seattle, was building and completing 16 B-17 Bombers each and everyday. And these aircraft were over 90% alum....

A little history, with images:

http://www.taphilo.com/history/WWII/USAAF/Boeing/B17/index.shtml

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mike M.
I have a 40's Exide batteries sign that's aluminum that information says do to WW2 and the need for steel they had to use aluminum.

Need for Alum. was just as great as steel during WW2, Aviation.

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
So are there any ways to tell an old aluminum from a new one? I have one sign that I'm convinced is repop because the back is bright shiny aluminum. Were there any distinguishing marks or characteristics on old aluminum signs that I should look for? Thanks for all the info fellas.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Post a picture

JimT #552661 Sat Jul 12 2014 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Alum. recycling was so great in WW2 that chewing gum wrappers were being recycled.
Alum. will oxidize whether it's inside or outside the house, faster outside due to moisture in the air, if left UN-treated.
Takes less energy to process Alum. than steel from raw materials or from scrap into new items.

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Here's the sign in question:

Markings look legit:

The back throws me off:

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Looks right to me. Most likely was used inside given the nice condition. I wouldn't expect to find a repop in that 50's style.

Given the overall shape and 3-d nature of the sign I'd say it was an up-scale order.

M-H Co searches on Google turn up other Ice Cream and soda-shop related signage.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved