Print Thread
#54697 Sat Feb 17 2001 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a complete esso sign pole and all and am in the process of restoring the pole as it was used for purposes other than gasoline in recent years does any one know the original colors of the pole for 1950s esso sign ? It's hard to determine because its been painted over so much and the sand blaster came while I wasn't home

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#54698 Sun Mar 04 2001 07:25 PM
D
D
Quote:
Originally posted by dalebarb:
I have a complete esso sign pole and all and am in the process of restoring the pole as it was used for purposes other than gasoline in recent years does any one know the original colors of the pole for 1950s esso sign ? It's hard to determine because its been painted over so much and the sand blaster came while I wasn't home

#54699 Sun Mar 04 2001 07:31 PM
D
D
[

The sign pole you have was probley a light
grey.I worked for Humble Oil Co in the late
60s and early seventys and most all the sign
poles were grey.After the change to exxon.
some were changed to a black with the pump
island matching
thanks
Dave

The sign pole you have was probleyQUOTE]Originally posted by dalebarb:
I have a complete esso sign pole and all and am in the process of restoring the pole as it was used for purposes other than gasoline in recent years does any one know the original colors of the pole for 1950s esso sign ? It's hard to determine because its been painted over so much and the sand blaster came while I wasn't home[/QUOTE]

#54700 Mon Mar 05 2001 08:09 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Dalebarb,
A couple of things you might try.
First, check out a book "Gas Stations" by Wayne Henderson and Scott Benjamin. It has lots of Esso photos (black & white), many of them are credited to Chip Flohe. You may be able to locate him and possibly some color original photos.
Second, try several good automotive paint supply houses, ask to look at their old (tell them -real old) "fleet" color paint books or lists. You may have to try and try again before you find one that has some old books or is willing to go to the trouble to bring them out for you. These old books are like gold so they are not allways easy to get to. This should give you a good list of the colors used.
If you can get the color codes and a color photo you should be well on your way.
Good luck.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved