Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#545016 Fri Jun 27 2014 06:03 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Seeing the post titled "Robbery with a Husky sign" got me real curious about this guy. I sent him a message on eBay asking if the sign was indeed real, and he replied that it is an old original sign. I looked at his other items and he has several new pump plates with the exact same chipping and rusting as the husky one. I checked his feedback and he has sold quite a few of these pump plates with the same chipping and rusting, and they have sold for big money. Hundreds of dollars each. Obviously, he is not someone that has a collection of vintage pump plates. He's making these, or getting them from someone that is making them. Also, I looked at his bidders. Many of them are the same person. Or the same two people outbidding each other. They are also the same people leaving him positive feedback on all these ridiculous purchases. Needless to say, something very dishonest is happening and it hurts our hobby. Reporting stuff like this via eBay escalation channels rarely gets anything done. I have a friend that runs the fraud group at eBay. He is checking into this guys acct on Monday. I have forwarded him all the related accts as well. Hopefully this will end one of the dishonest sellers, and I really hope it goes as far as prosecution if it's deemed fraud. This type of activity is taken seriously by eBay if you can actually get someone to take it on. Well, someone is taking it on. Hopefully this dude is going to get his come-up-n's!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great job Gaswagon !
Keep us posted on the progress. One at a time is better than none. smile

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Very glad to hear this! Nice job, thanks for using your resources to help the hobby!

Camron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job!!! I can only hope that E-BAY finally does something about one of these sellers but like before I'm not getting my hopes up.
Please keep us posted.

I've sold 3 items over the last month (and this time of year I only post a few items) that the winner haven't paid. E-bay gets my charges credited from them but do nothing to the buyers and I can't even warn others about it....... all of it is wasted time for me having to wait and relist when they don't pay..... Gee why is E-bay going down hill like a rocket sled.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Ya, eBay is totally catering to the online store type clients, not the hobbyist. Nothing I can do to help you there! Someone needs to start a memorabilia auction site.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keep us posted. I'm curious to know, what action e-Bay takes.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
F
F
report report, it will be kicked off we need volume.

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
Heard back on this today. Here is the message I got word for word:

"...had him looked at and they found shill across several accounts. The shill accounts were actioned but not clear on what will be done on the main account yet. He prob won't be suspended yet but will be dinged for shill. Anything else happens he will be taken down most likely permanently. Let me know if you see any more shady stuff."

Mission accomplished.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not to rain on your parade Michael, but I don't see that anything is any different. He sold his 3 10$ signs for about a $1100.00 profit so there is nothing different today with E-bay allowing unknowing buyers to get screwed by Shill bidding and or overpriced repop signs.

So please tell me what mission is accomplished?

Last edited by Mike M.; Mon Jun 30 2014 05:58 PM.

Thanks
Mike

G
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
G
4 of the accounts this guy was using are now closed. His main account is on "probation". That's what was accomplished. At the very least he has to figure out a new way to be a crook, so at least this disrupted him. No rain on my parade Mike. I did exactly what I wanted to do. Bet you don't see another fake pump plate from him again for quite awhile.

Last edited by gaswagon; Mon Jun 30 2014 08:33 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I never bother these people or report. Thanks to you guys and some research on my on I'm starting to learn more on how to spot fakes. When it comes to harassing these guys a friend of mine who's an attorney told me its just a mater of time before someone wind up getting sued by one of them. He says what they do is not deceptive though probably unscrupulous. However he says to remember that doesn't mean that any laws are broken.
Buyer beware and due diligence are the words of the day as he put it. if people weren't eat up with picker type shows and get rich quik schemes I think a lot fewer of these signs would be sold. You know what P. T. Barnum said.

Seeking Knowledge and a Good Deal.
Always looking for neon signs and skins , Flying A ,& Wayne 60s.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow great job! I posted a question about this on the other thread on this subject. Those signs are still up in the sold search on ebay, showing the high prices they brought. I was wondering if ebay will take those down ?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Be Nice if ebay went into completed auctions & Notified His Buyers that they were Defrauded by seller w/ Shill Bids & to File w/ PayPal for Refunds! Put the Hurt where it belongs.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Jun 30 2014 09:09 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Michael, Proud of what you did and the time you took to address it with E-bay.
My problem is that unless E-bay starts listening to the problems and doing something about them, it's going to keep going into the toilet!

Thanks
Mike

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have to add my thought on the post by Junk King.

fraud
Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
Maybe your "attorney friend" should take another look at the books.
Just sayin............
This is why the blokes in New York went to jail last month for selling fraudulent oil paintings. Not really a stretch from what they did to what the crooks are doing to our hobby. Just the numbers....millions to thousands.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved