Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#528233 Mon Apr 14 2014 04:34 PM
I
OP Offline
I
Bought my first gas pump this weekend and wondering what you guys could tell me about it. Gilbarco M#96B40L. Not looking to do a full restorartion on it at this point. Looking to add a Globe and some lights, and a new decal. Started to pull some of it apart and cleaning. Need to know what parts I have missing for the holes on the outside as well. I do have 2 of the stainless trim pieces but need some more and the brackets that hold them on. Lemme know what ya guys think and thanks for having me.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You're in luck! We have 2 of the biggest original gas pump parts suppliers in the US, frequenting these pages!

Tom Buckles has the largest inventory of original gas pump parts in the US and can be reached on this site by sending a private message to tbuckles or through an email to: tjbuckles@embarqmail.com

Ryan Underthun on this site, also has a large supply of original parts and can be reached thru: thepumpdump.com or by sending a private message to "Ryan Underthun"

Glad to have you and good luck with your first pump! Get ready for number 2, as it doesn't take very long! LOL

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice original pump what are your plans for it.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice original pump!

Braden Splichal

Welcome to Oldgas.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

I
OP Offline
I
Plans as of now are to gather the missing pieces. Would like to find out the history on it, ie age, color, etc. So if you know of any good links for this info lemme know please. Need to figure out how to remove the reset handle and the part with all the numbers. Seems a bird or mouse or both made a very nice home in it at some time. Other than that I think I will just clean up the inside and add a coat of POR 15. Prob leave the black alone and considering changing the orange to red. I like the Mobil decor. Add a globe and then just clear the outside for now. Any suggestions/ideas are welcome. Thanks. -Brian

There is a small pin that holds the reset crank to the reset crank shaft. The pin can be a bear to get out, lots of patience and a good set of roll pin punches will make your job a little easier.

The calculator is pretty easy to remove. It is held in place by three bolts on the underside of the calculator.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Oilcanman87
Nice original pump what are your plans for it.

...it's a nice pump, but it's a time-worn older restoration...note the repro Lead sign, and the unfaded 'shadow' where the fantasy Phillips 66 sign was...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
I
OP Offline
I
Thanks Ryan! I seen the pin and was going to try that but figured I'd ask first.

Gulfiend, I pulled the Phillips 66 signs off as I would like to go another direction with it. They were srewwed on. Is that how they would have been mounted originally? Fill me in on how to tell the repop lead sign please. As stated I'm a complete noon to these. Thanks again. -Brian

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good looking pump and welcome to oldgas Brian.

I
OP Offline
I
Thanks for the friendly welcome and tips. Got the calculator out tonight and the rats nest out of it. Going to keep playing/dismantling my new toy. smile

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Congrats on your first pump. Be careful they will multiply. You can find parts for your pump as described above or though other members on this site. Where are you located in Iowa? I am in the western central part of Iowa.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Take LOTS OF PHOTOS & save to a file, they will come in handy for RE-assembly especially if you get side tracked on ANOTHER Pump/Project. Keep EVERYTHING Marked & Together.
Some of us have Been There & NOT Done That!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: racecop
Congrats on your first pump. Be careful they will multiply. You can find parts for your pump as described above or though other members on this site. Where are you located in Iowa? I am in the western central part of Iowa.

When did Iowa get a Western Edge? LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved