Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#523630 Wed Mar 26 2014 06:15 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello all, first time signing up but I have cruised the forums many times and appreciate all the info on here (thank you).

I recently bid on an eBay Texaco sign that I did not win because I had questions about the authenticity. Could you please tell me if this sign is an original or a fake made to look old?

The eBay item number is 261425566893 and it went for $127.50, plus shipping.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Looks good to me. Wait for a nicer one, There out there.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tankar
Looks good to me. Wait for a nicer one, There out there.

good advice.. cool

RANDY
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you Tankar. Would you mind giving me a few pointers on recognizing why this sign is original compared to a fake? I have my eye out for another Texaco sign but am not confident in determining what's real or a fake. Are there certain details on this eBay item that tell you it's original?

Last edited by The General Lee; Thu Mar 27 2014 07:49 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was an old topic that discussed this sign in length, but I looked for the last hour and couldn't find it?? I'm probably titling it wrong?? Anyone remember??

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
S
I tried looking myself yesterday Kevin but couldnt get the advanced search function to work correctly. I know I started a thread on this when my Bro in Law bought a fake of this sign. But as soon as I put my screen name in the box, the search engine says nothing found. Very frustrating! That thing never works for me, and if you use the google search you cant get specific to user. Anyway, like you said, there are plenty of threads on this sign. Just gotta find 'em.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
T
OP Offline
T
Thank you both for the effort in finding that thread. I did some digging and found this, which was helpful: http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=419471&page=all.

It sounds like the eBay sign I referenced in the beginning of this thread is 1920's or earlier, based on the U.S. REG. PAT. OFF. and apparently it's normal for those years not to include the date (that's a big thing I was wondering about).

S
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: The General Lee
Thank you both for the effort in finding that thread. I did some digging and found this, which was helpful: http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=419471&page=all.

It sounds like the eBay sign I referenced in the beginning of this thread is 1920's or earlier, based on the U.S. REG. PAT. OFF. and apparently it's normal for those years not to include the date (that's a big thing I was wondering about).

That's the one!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved