Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#516322 Mon Feb 24 2014 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I dont sell much on e bay , but have that ice cream sign on there right now .I have had some e mails asking what I would take for a sign and end the auction. I replied I appreciate your interest but I will not, and want to continue auction to be fair. If you step out and end the auction , you are not protected correct ? , so why take the chance . And it seems that is unfair to others ? I almost didn't ask such a silly question but , someone educate me ? Why take the risk even as a buyer ?

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If one pays through Paypal, one is covered... I have asked Sellers if they would consider ending an Auction early?... Some have done so, others have not... I have won some of the Auctions that went to completion and lost others...

Personally, I will not contact a Seller if there are any bids on the item(s)... But, not everyone feels that way... And I have been the high bidder on item(s) where a Seller has received an offer they could not turn down. And they ended the Auction, early...

When I ask the Seller to end an Auction early... I make sure that the Seller, changes the Auction to a BIN and then work to ensure, I am the first bidder... This has not always worked... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

Personally, I will not contact a Seller if there are any bids on the item(s)... But, not everyone feels that way... And I have been the high bidder on item(s) where a Seller has received an offer they could not turn down. And they ended the Auction, early...

When I ask the Seller to end an Auction early... I make sure that the Seller, changes the Auction to a BIN and then work to ensure, I am the first bidder.

That's what I do as well never had a problem.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Bob , I know its a dumb question , I just wondered if it was wrong to do so , I am not ending ,but just wondered If it was wrong . Maybe I need to go back and read e bay policies , but sometimes you guys can explain things to me better, like you did . Thank you.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The only dumb question, is the one that is not asked....

As to it being "Right or Wrong" to end an Auction, early? I believe that is up to the individual Seller and potential Buyer.

I've never had a Seller, berate me for asking the question... Even those that are against the action have been polite in their answers declining my inquiries....

Some on Oldgas, have a problem with those that ask if an Auction can be ended early?... Others like myself, feel that it is okay...

As, I said. I won't contact a Seller if an item has a bid... Others don't feel that way...

I can say, that I am able to sleep okay, with my decisions on this subject... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In ebays infancy,I imagine nearly every auction had a buyer that asked a seller to end the auction & sell it them privately.
The majority of sellers did it & were elated to make a sale.
While those same savvy buyers on the other hand,did it because they knew darn well where people were who would pay them much more for it later on.
Or they just wanted to acquire the item for themselves at a price they could afford before so & so woke up the next morning and saw the auction.

Today,I honestly believe the % of ebay auctions ended early do to buyers asking the seller to do so is extremely low.
Sellers finally figured out that by letting the auction run it's course,they would be better ahead on all counts.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Having had a item I really wanted snatched out from under me even though I was high bidder I am against ending auctions early. Once you start a auction without a "buy it now" and ESPECIALLY if you have bidders it seems only fair to let the one who wants it most win it. If a seller receives a offer privately he just cant pass up for some reason the very least he/she could do is offer high bidder chance to match offer. Seems silly for a seller to consider it anyways, It's usually a rare or hard to come by item that receives such a offer and those items always have people "sniping" in the end and running price up, most times a seller will leave money on the table by ending early. Just my opinion, did I mention I really wanted item ? LOL

Pete
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
once a seller does it more than once in 12-months, ebay charges them a final value fee each time they end the auction early.

So... here is the best way to keep sellers from doing that... dont leave everything to the snipe!

Example: You want to bid on a sign that you are willing to pay $1200 for. As soon as you decide this, go ahead and bid $500 on it, this will get the bid price raised early and punish the seller more for ending early. Then place your realistic bid as the snipe bid.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I totally agree with Pete and I think Pete and I were bidding on that same rare sign

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most all that end their auctions early are doing it for the sole purpose of avoiding paying a commission. They are not ending it to "help" the buyer.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 47reotravis
Thanks Bob , I know its a dumb question , I just wondered if it was wrong to do so , I am not ending ,but just wondered If it was wrong . Maybe I need to go back and read e bay policies , but sometimes you guys can explain things to me better, like you did . Thank you.

MOST of our reply's are done in Fewer Words so as not to Clutter the Simple Minds of members! laugh

IMO, A few reasons buyers ask you to End an auction early;
*1 They are hoping to get it Cheaper than what it Might sell for.
*2 IF they can get it for their offer, they can flip for some easy $$$.
*3 It's a Gotta Have for their collection.
*3 Their Buddy told them he was going to bid to win on it.

Online Content
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

*1 They are hoping to get it Cheaper than what it Might sell for.
*2 IF they can get it for their offer, they can flip for some easy $$$.
*3 It's a Gotta Have for their collection.
*3 Their Buddy told them he was going to bid to win on it.

Im confused, there are two number threes....

You should do it like this.

Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

*64 They are hoping to get it Cheaper than what it Might sell for.
*31 IF they can get it for their offer, they can flip for some easy $$$.
*8 It's a Gotta Have for their collection.
*77 Their Buddy told them he was going to bid to win on it.

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Tue Feb 25 2014 07:44 AM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Now Dicks post makes perfect sense. Thanks Ryan

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Oh, yes, the #4 above ...

It has happened to me many times. So, I have learned to "Zip my mouth". frown

Hen

Last edited by henlovestoys; Tue Feb 25 2014 10:46 AM.
Online Content
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys
Oh, yes, the #4 above ...

It has happened to me many times. So, I have learned to "Zip my mouth". frown

Hen

I was just giving him some grief... I mean after all, he dishes plenty of it out.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved