Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#513140 Tue Feb 11 2014 08:08 PM
Iowa99 Offline OP
OP Offline
Giving a try at posting some of my watch fobs relating to gas & oil.The Bowser is a close up of my avatar photo.I have quite a few more petro, auto and old motorcycle fobs. All are original.Most date from 1910 - 1940. See how this works out, hope of interest. Raymond

Bowser Gas Pump.JPG Ethyl Corp..JPG Trop-Artic Oil.JPG
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
keep posting, cool advertising pieces.. cool

RANDY
Online Cool
Very Cool! cool Thanks for sharing.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah more more more

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
#513393 Wed Feb 12 2014 10:02 PM
Iowa99 Offline OP
OP Offline
Watch fobs were made to serve several purposes. One being a method of handling a pocket watch and the other as an advertising medium for manufacturers.
In the years before wrist watches, the fob was worn outside the man's watch pocket, serving as a pull to remove the watch from within. The advertising type shown here were made to hang on a leather strap three-eighths or one-half inch wide and about four inches long, connecting the watch to the fob.
If a person had a tractor, auto, motorcycle or any other product he was proud of, or satisfied with, the watch fob representing it was a way to show his feelings .
Originally fobs were given away at fairs, trade shows, stores and any place of sales by the manufacturers. Due to rising labor costs and the decline of pocket watch use, very few are now used for advertising. Today key chains, caps, pens and other cheaper items are given out as gifts.
Many people under 60 years of age, have never seen or had a fob. They were in use from the early 1900's until about 1940.

Oilzum Oil.JPG Oilzum.JPG Polarine Oil.JPG Polarine B..JPG
#513396 Wed Feb 12 2014 10:23 PM
Iowa99 Offline OP
OP Offline
More petro watch fobs.

Richardson Oil.JPG Richardson B..JPG Red Seal.JPG Ruby Oil.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice oilzum what did you shine it with? Mine is a dark almost brass color

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great info! I myself always wondered what the heck they were, yet for some reason had never thought to ask. Now I know! Thanks!

Looking for early valvoline, freedom-valvoline, franklin pa items, Galena

KEVIN
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Very cool information and a couple great examples there!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It has always amazed me the knowledge or lack off that we carry around in our heads. The other night I was in the hall of a movie theater and a young couple was looking at a picture of the Beatles. They asked me which one was John Lennon, they could not name the others. The next picture they asked who it was. I said Humphrey Bogart I told them to rent Casablanca, or The African Queen. They were headed to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. I was not around in the 40's or 50's but I still carry a vast knowledge. It is always good to learn something new and have willing teachers to pass things on.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Back in the day dad used to go to watch fob shows. He collected them and had a pretty good sized drawer about half full of them. A lot were from farm and heavy equipment companies as well as a lot of the local buisnesses around home had them made up to give out. We used to write to Cat, Erie and other equipment companies asking for fobs back in the 1970's. Dad had four made up for his buisness as give away. Holmes Oil sold Sinclair products, the first two had a Sinclair delivery truck on them, the third one was in the shape of the Sinclair Dino sign and the last one was made up like an ARCO sign after they bought out Sinclair. I think dads were made by a company in Marietta Ohio by a guy named George. Anyways, as with all collectibles, be aware of repos, fake and fantasy fobs. They were making fakes back in the 1970s already. I think that was one of the reasons dad lost a lot of interest in the fob hobby.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
One other thing to be aware of is many have been reproduced long ago.. The Polarine with the bear depicted is one that has been "reissued"

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Iowa99 Offline OP
OP Offline
Regarding the shine on the Oilzum fob, it was in very nice condition when I bought it, I think I may have rubbed it on a flannel cloth that had some residue from Simichrome polish. If fobs are very dull or dirty, I sometimes will use Simichrome and an old toothbrush to clean them. Just don't use the wife's. Everybody has their own favorite way,as in any hobby. Fobs are not as critical as coins. If it is one I may sell or trade, I don't clean it.

Iowa99 Offline OP
OP Offline
In regard to Wes Maxwell's post,I used to attend the International Watch Fob show in the 70's and many times since, in fact I was Pres. 1999-2003,wife Sec/Treas. George Pritchard of Marietta, OH made many fobs,after him there were more making new and repros.
Reproductions are a problem in about all hobbies.
I have stayed with the older original fobs in my collecting, E-Bay is loaded with repros, but I still find some very good one's there.I have collected since 1967.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When dose that fob show take place

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved