Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#49964 Fri Jan 28 2005 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

When Curt (aka poor mans garage) posted his "Buy of the week" Richfield book, two things caught my attention. The first one, was the "school house style" globe that was on top of the Neptune pump. I can't help but wonder why they would have used that globe in their publication. It had to have been used by their company. The whole book is dedicated to setting up the dealers stations. Paint designs for pumps, building, light poles, restroom buildings etc. They have measurements of how many inches high the stripes should be on the facade of the buildings, and where to place the porcelain signs. This book is dedicated to every station looking exactly the same, no mater which town you are in. With this much attention to detail, they "had" to have used this type of light globe on top of some of their pumps. Why hasn't any actual photos turned up?

Ok, now here is the second thing that struck me. Notice on the second photo, that the company actually attached their "price per gallon" signs to the front of the pump? Again, I've never seen that before. Yes, on some of the visible pumps I've seen the pricers, but I've never seen a restored pump, or any photos of an original with the metal pricer screwed onto the face.
Any comments?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#49965 Fri Jan 28 2005 12:10 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I'll email you Don.

------------------
Dwaine. pca-west.org
Home of jlgas
Vintage-logos

#49966 Fri Jan 28 2005 12:32 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Post what you know Dwaine... help the hobby right? I thought we were all here to help and to learn... guess not? HTH?

------------------
WANTED: Sunset Gas/Oil stuff!

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#49967 Fri Jan 28 2005 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, Can you post any info. you get on that topic.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#49968 Fri Jan 28 2005 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would like to know as well. I am always interested in learning more..I wouldnt put a globe like that on a pump but I think its neat that in the catalouge the price boxes were mounted on the front of the pump. I hadnt seen this before....curious if stations ever did this or maybe it was just in the book that way.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#49969 Fri Jan 28 2005 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Isn't the schoolhouse globe refered to as a LOW PROFILE STATION LIGHTER ?

I have had several WAYNE 60's,40-A's,BENNETT's & other pumps that had the pricer plates on the doors [as shown], BUT, I always took them off before selling the pump.

#49970 Fri Jan 28 2005 06:17 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Other than the photo of the pump there wasn't any other information in the book. I looked at the station photos in the book and only saw one other picture of pumps with globes and they look like conventional round globes. Looks like Richfield didn't use globes much and for all we know that globe on the Neptune was a type of station light as Dick said.

I was suprised by the pricers too.

C Cragg
#49971 Fri Jan 28 2005 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Dick, are you being funny or serious? Low profile stationliter? I think you are referring to the ebay auction awhile back, where the guy listed it as a stationliter. Doesn't every light on a pump "Light up a station"? LOL
Here is what Dwaine wrote, and it seems very likely he's right...
as far as why they may have placed this milk glass cover on the top, it might have been just for the book, if the pump was being advertised during war years, I was told that globe lenses along with porcelain signs were not made??
On your second part. most Rheem clock face pumps had holes under the face bezels for the one sided porcelain price boards. or like your 36-b, where they were just switching to pumps with price adds on the
computers. I have four porcelain price board halves that can and will be bolted on under the face bezels.

Thank Dick and Dwaine for your insight. I do find it hard to believe that Richfield was going to print on this book, and decided that they'd use this type of light on top of one pump in the book, and leave all the other pumps without globes.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#49972 Fri Jan 28 2005 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHY would they stop making GLOBES during the war, when glass was not the shortage ? Signs, yes there was a metal shortage.

Could it be that in 1951, RICHFIELD stopped useing GLOBES in west coast areas, and this book was sent to all west coast opperation.

Globes were not ment to light up the station, but were intended to adv. the company or grade of gasoline

#49973 Fri Jan 28 2005 09:20 PM
Ranchpump sent in this comment and images:
"I got a chuckle out of the bafflement the "school house" globe caused. Imagine my surprise to see two pumps capped this way at Jack Mendenhall's Oilstick museum in Buellton, CA. Of course, seeing the nearby mismatched globes one shouldn't draw any conclusions about "accuracy."

Click on the images to see a full size version.
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting .

Thanks for the pics Ranchpump! Looks like an interesting place. And more fuel for this discussion as well.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#49974 Fri Jan 28 2005 09:49 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Was there a shortage of anything in 1951? I thought all that happened in the early 1940's. That Neptune model began production in 1947. (no shortages at that time)
I am sure if they had the glass to use for ad glass/computer windows and the metal to use for the pump skins they could have come up with enough material to use a globe.
Maybe there was a guy putting the book together who thought it was funny to put a stupid globe on a pump... maybe he wanted to see how many stations would use one

------------------

#49975 Fri Jan 28 2005 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats something you would do Jeff...LOL Except youde silk screen "DeVille Kustoms' on that goofey looking globe....LOL

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#49976 Fri Jan 28 2005 10:16 PM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
ummmmm... DeVille Customs
World famous!!!

------------------

#49977 Fri Jan 28 2005 11:43 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I don't think that it was a shortage issue. More than likely it is was because of the black outs along the coast of California during World War II. This book was produced for the California Richfield Stations and it would make sense that they wouldn't want the West Coast lit up like a Christmas tree so the Japs wouldn't bomb the coast (or so they feared at the time). Although this book was produced in 1951 (several years after the war ended) it is likely that they could have carried over standards from the war years.

This might explain the lack of globes, although it doesn't solve the mystery of the school house model.

C Cragg
#49978 Sat Jan 29 2005 01:19 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I have the ULTRA RARE globe shown in the lower pic of Mendenhall's stuff, the right hand visible pump!!

Anyone ever see such a beautiful piece of glass..2 pc with a metal band no less !!!

Also the Richfield SCHOOLMARM pump, I had one same colors but AO Smith, got it from a fellow named Lance...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved