Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
if you want a so called 'good' deal... id shoot for $400 tops. if you just want one, and dont care if its a great deal or a bad deal, then just pay whatever you are comfortable with

im sure you had some 'thoughts' regarding how much you were hoping to spend prior to posting here. as long as you're happy with the purchase, its okay to go with your gut feeling - thats what we all do at the shows we go to... no one knows the 'correct' value of everything

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
BryceG #494497 Tue Nov 26 2013 01:59 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Bryce,
You've seen the Skelly Powermax repop? Could you direct me to one possibly? Thanks too for your common sense response ... and of course to all other. Much to think about.

Last edited by suckeggmule1959; Tue Nov 26 2013 02:00 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
no... i was only responding regarding wide-body milk glass globes, you would still need the lenses. but here's the globe body on T-ways:
http://www.t-waysgraphics.com/bodies.html

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG #494518 Tue Nov 26 2013 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Comparing the Powermax to the AEROMAX sale is not in the same ballpark for value.
IMO, SKELLY globes are to abundant for the globe makers to Repop.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I hate to jump in the middle of a good argument but, I happen to have some recent experience with the globes in this discussion so I might as well weigh in. I wish that I could say that the globes in question were worth upwards of $750 apiece but I really think that's a stretch given what I see most of them selling for recently. Like Scott said, there are instances where they might bring that much to the right person, but I think the $300-400 range is more the norm. I decided that I wanted to gather up all of the Skellys of that era as we had a Skelly dealer in my hometown that I knew and I wanted to build a couple of pumps to make a Skelly display. I have the globe in question and I bought it and six more this summer and did not give over $350 for any of them. That doesn't mean I would sell any of them for that, but they are out there to find in that price range if you are just patient and keep your eyes open. I got my Powermax lenses in with some other items so I probably got a little better deal on them than if I had found it by itself and had to step up a little just to get them. They are probably a little harder to find than the regular and premium ones, I don't know for sure.

I am assuming that this is the one that started all this......GB

image.jpg
Rabbitman #494607 Tue Nov 26 2013 07:33 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Yes, Rabbitman, that's the lens. Now, since I'm new to all of this where do I look to find these globes. What generated my question was that I saw one (Powermax) for $700. Seriously, where do I look for a cheaper one?
Thanks again for the discussion folks - it was enjoyable, and helpful.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Attend some of the shows & placing in the Want To Buy [as you have done]. If you subscribe to either/both magazines place a Want To Buy in them. Keep checking w/ Scott Benjamin/Lonnie Hop. One will show up for Less than $700.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Theres a "wanted to buy" section on this forum!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #494638 Tue Nov 26 2013 09:11 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, found it!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If possible, be patient, suckeggmule1959. Don't wind up overpaying, and throw away an extra $300 (unless that doesn't bother you!). Start your search as has been advised by others on this post.

Also, keep a "wanted" ad on the nearest craigslist in your area. Move that ad around to other craigslist catagories every week or so (wanted to buy, auto parts, general). I'd keep it general with the craigslist ad, and NOT say "Wanted Skelly Powermax gas pump globe", but RATHER "Wanted Skelly gas pump globe". You never know where the more general "Wanted" headline will lead you. Maybe you'll find a different Skelly globe that you can then sell or trade to obtain the Powermax.

Again, don't rush and wind up overpaying. As has been said by others here....this is not a rare or real hard to find globe. But, just don't expect to immediately go on line and find one at the right price. Oh, if only we could find all the beloved original gas pump globes we want on Amazon.com!! Good luck in your search. John

Jolly-John #495328 Fri Nov 29 2013 08:33 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks John!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved