Print Thread
#484 Mon Aug 27 2001 10:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm fairly new to the hobby. I have been tracking Standard Crown globes as I used to own a Standard station in the 80's and just missed getting a couple back then. It seems as though the prices have been coming down from the $350-$400 range to as low as $250 (at an auction I was at last month) What gives? Is it the repro market doing this?? I will buy one soon, any thoughts out there??

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#485 Tue Aug 28 2001 09:07 PM
Hi Dan,

I don't have your value answer, but here is something you should know. Repro crown globes have been made with glass all the way to the base. Originals usually had a metal band that attached to the bottom of the crown globe to make the flared base. These are now being reproduced from the original glass molds by Time Passages http://www.time-pass.com . Contact them about how to tell the difference between originals and repros. You may just want to get a repro.
Whenever very similar repros or a significant discovery of additional original items are found in the marketplace, this has a cooling effect on the value of existing original items. This is true on any collectible.

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#486 Wed Aug 29 2001 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reproduction crowns have not affected the market in my opinion. I still find a number of people who aren't happy unless they have a good original. The price you gave is about right for one with little paint or some minor damage. Ron

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved