Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
This is a mint condition Lackner Coca Cola clock.
these were made from 1939-41. Everything works great on the clock. It is a very nice piece. it books for $1200 in Petretti's coca cola price guide.
asking $800

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wonder why in the heck they made the "8" like that??

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I thought the same thing? The style of the numbers just don't look right for a clock of that era? Maybe wrong though.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Lackner is the only clock company that I have ever seen that did that with the 8. They made a art deco bakelite non advertising shelf clock with the same 8.

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
[/URL]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yes lackner made a clock like this and other companies who made clocks for coke also used the same number 8......look at Petretti's coca cola price guide, then make an informed comment like the original poster has done....

I should have stated "only clock I have ever seen in person" since I am not a coke clock collector and never have been. I have a photo of the other clock that I mentioned... that "I have seen in person"....are you satisfied now Darryl??? Sheeesh

Last edited by Carl; Sun Oct 13 2013 04:26 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
what makes you think i would bother responding to your comment in the first place Carl ?? just trying to let buzzy56 know that there is a clock like this , with numbers like this......take a pill and chill...

Your post was headered with RE:Carl.. Sorry don't do pills but I will have a beer.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not trying to stir anything here but the 0 on the clock for sale is crooked and not as thick as the one in the book. Maybe from factory? Must not be same style clock since coca cola face has second marks on it also.

Last edited by coheley5; Sun Oct 13 2013 05:11 PM.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Here is a Lackner clock from the same era with the crazy 8.

clock.png
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sorry, but the clock 'for Sale' is NOT the same as the clock in the reference book.

Most of the numbers are not correct per the referenced image and the reference books clockface does not have the 'minute' 'ticks'.

Also . . . the 'For Sale' clock has wording in the 'tail' of the 'C' that is not on the one in the book.

Later . . .

Jim

Last edited by T-way; Mon Oct 14 2013 10:11 AM.
J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Obviously it's not the exact same clock as the picture. It is a the same model Lackner clock just like the one in the photo, I have only personally seen 2 of these clocks in my life time, both of them like the one I am selling. I think that the clock is just a different version of the same clock just like you see with the pam clocks etc... Have you ever owned one of these clocks or seen either of them in person or are you just making your conclusion of of the picture you see Jim ? It blows me away how everyone seems to know everything about everything. All the members are EXPERTS!!
Alan Petretti and Dan Morphy doesn't have anything in you guys.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i have no idea why you are ripping on all of us. I was actually sticking up for you by saying that coke did use an 8 like this...I have a couple of original neon spinner coke clocks with this same 8, however the other numbers are different.....i would neither condemn or condone this clock until i could see it in person,only then could i make an informed decision....
I know they made different versions and the trade mark in the tail falls right on the cusp when coke removed the trade mark from the tail, so both ways could be legit.........your not making many freinds by making statements like this "It blows me away how everyone seems to know everything about everything. All the members are EXPERTS!!"
Oh and by the way, if you want a real expert, ask Gary Metz.he probably knows more about coke than petretti and morphy put together.......

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I still wonder why jgoff is still a member here ( please don't hit me... lol ) It's just my 2 cents

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
look at this clock with the 8

gruen clock.jpg

collect jenney, independent oil co. , underhay oil co , valora motor oil and other massachusetts brands.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes everything on that clock is correct. Even the numbers and they are on there straight. I was burnt one time on a clock and I do look closer than ever.

Last edited by coheley5; Mon Oct 14 2013 02:32 PM.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Okay jgoff:

Did I claim I was an expert? No I did not.

I simply stated that the $1,200.00 clock was NOT the same as the one you are selling.

I pointed out OBVIOUS differences between the two versions. I have no idea if both are 'real' or not. I don't buy/sell clocks or Coke-Cola stuff.

You are the one that said: "it books for 1200 . . . ". Thereby insinuating that the two are the same and you are offering a H@!! of a deal.

NOT SO. The two are not comparable since they are not identical.

If you really want to 'prove' that the clock you are selling is 'real' - post a scan of the EXACT clock from one of your reference books with the value shown.

Otherwise, stop protesting so loudly. It makes you seem less than honest.

"nuff said!

Later . . .

Jim

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
They are the same lackner clock Jim. They made two versions of the clock. I spoke with actually experts and Alan Petretti who wrote the price guide book gave me the info on the clock and told me the value. I have a buddy who has been a Coca cola distributor/dealer for 40 years and even has his own limited commemorative Coke bottles made from Coca cola which is very rare for coke to do that for someone. I have been collecting Coca cola for years and have a huge collection. I was not ripping on you RoadRelics, I was just stating the truth. I am not trying to make friends with a lot of these people on here especially you Nucky. Less honest Jim? Really? Not the case!!

J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Since you don't buy or sell Coca Cola or clocks. Why do have so much to say and insist you know the value and that the two aren't comparable. Because you are WRONG nuff said

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can you even read?

I never gave a value at any time. You are the one posting values and prices.

If your 'experts' are so good and such great collectors - why aren't they jumping on this deal? Seems if your clock was really worth $1,200.00 and you only wanted $800.00 for it - it would already be sold!

And I don't care how much you repeat yourself - the two clocks are NOT THE SAME. They may have been made by the same manufacturer - or this one could just be an old case with new glass.

I don't know since I don't collect Coke stuff or clocks.

Jim

Last edited by T-way; Tue Oct 15 2013 06:30 AM.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
If I may, and some of you probably say "don't bother", but I have found this to be the case with several different things in books. Something is just a tad off or just a little different. More so with coca cola than anything else I have seen. People use it as a reference, that's all. These things were not meant to be collectors items but used in the stores or as give always. They could have easily been alter one or two times or had a change within the production. I am not stating the clock is real or not. I would wanna see it up close. But to say that he can not place a value on it based on the coca cola book doesn't make sense to me.

Looking for any broken neon clocks.
Buyin, Sellin, Swappin, and tradin anything old.
J
jgoff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Thank you Johnny....Jim who doesn't buy or sell coca cola or clocks wants to give his 2 cents. Jim I see that you didn't give an exact value. You did say it wasn't comparable to the clock in the price guide there for your implicating that it wasn't the same value.... I sure wouldn't be commenting on something I have no knowledge on but whatever floats your boat Jim. Also I do have a guy that might buy the clock and just because something is a good deal doesn't mean it sells immediately. It is a good deal and the value is the same as
the clock in the book. The price guide is also just exactly that a guide. It doesn't mean that is what you will get out of an item, something is only worth what someone will pay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved