Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I hope you will all bear with me, as I most likely bore you to death, with a reminisce of my youth....

I have been on a quest for a few months to acquire an item from my youth... The item was branded and sold for only 1 year, only. And that year was 1966... I was a scrapping 12 year old going on 30... I worked part time as a "pump jockey" for a local Flying A Gas Station. And felt that I was "above" such childish things as Slot Cars and especially "battery powered Slot cars" that ran on there own with no hand controls...

In 1966 Ideal Toys, came out with their Motorific "Car and Torture Track" along with other Motorific Slot Car "Set Ups"... But, Ideal did something different with the "Car and Torture Track"... They branded certain one's with the DX Oil Company name and logo on the boxes...

And they also branded a "set up" with the Flying A name and logo...

As I said, in 1966 I was working at a Flying A Station and selling these tracks and the accessory kits as fast as we could get them into the Station.. My Father who had been collecting "Gas and Oil" items since the mid 40s... Advised me to buy a couple of the tracks and a few of the 2 different accessory kits that went along with the track.. (the tracks and kits, were $1.99 ea in 1966)... His reasoning was that "sooner or later" the tracks and kits would become collectibles not only for Petro Collectors, but for Toy Collectors... Of course, I always meant to "squirrel" away atleast one track and kit set ups... But, I never did....

Fast forward to 2013, (at times the years flew by and other times... well you've all been there)....

Today, I was able to receive the 3rd and final piece to "MY" 1966 Motorific Flying A "Car and Torture Track" and Accessory kits....

The "Toys of my Youth" now sit on a machine that "Breathes for me" at night... LOL - So I am living that 'ol adage I heard as a child and didn't understand at the time... "He is a kid at heart, trapped in an Old Man's body"....

I just had my 59th Birthday, this past week... And that birthday and this "present" to myself... Reminded me, to "keep digging"... Even with Cancer and a Heart not worth "spit"... It is never too late to reach out and grab the Brass Ring... It just takes some of us longer to decide what "is the Brass Ring"... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
great story my Friend.I`m glad you finally got the 3rd one to finish your set..we are always kids at heart and I enjoy it especially with my grandson...I know your hanging in there with your health issues,but my prayers and thought`s are always with you.
Al

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob being of the same "vintage" I remember the slot car phenomenon but not that specific set. I was never good at racing them, just crashing them. So that's what we set them up to do. Cars were flying off in all trajectories. They didn't last long needless to say. It's great to score the fun stuff, NIB no less. Congratulations. BTW love the circus poster.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Glad you were able to get that last piece! wink

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice collection...I don't have those but I have several slot car kits from when I was a rug rat.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
congratulations on completing the set & thanks for the education, have never heard of or seen any before.. cool

Last edited by advertologist; Wed Aug 28 2013 12:33 PM.

RANDY
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
lets see the inside of the boxes,
those are cool

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Mark, here you go. You're right, I should have "unwrapped" the track and accessory kits... LOL

The "Torture Track" (Mark I) and "Skyway" accessory kit (Mark III):

And the "Power Pack" accessory kit (Mark II):

And since I have the track... Here is some of the different cars, a "youth" could add to their tracks....

Motorific cars avail in 1964-'66 :

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have several of these sets stored in my basement. I do not have the station branded ones just a torture track and a couple other sets they had. I believe I even have a couple boats and a boat carrying case that they had come out with.

If I remember tonight I'll get a couple pictures of what I have posted if anyone's interested...

Got Socony???

Tom
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Tom, I would like to see them, if no one else does?...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ya lets see them.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
thanks, I didnt notice it was just the track
the cars are the coolest.

My brother and I had some brand I dont remember which but the cars were about 6-8 inches long and very thick wire contacts for the track on a large steep banked figure 8.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are my boats. I could not get to the track sets sorry. They are buried under a mountain of toys. I'm going to start a thread in non petro showing a few other cool slot car sets so check it out.

IMG_1516.JPG IMG_1517.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1519.JPG
Last edited by nochevys; Wed Aug 28 2013 04:19 PM.

Got Socony???

Tom
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great story Bob! That's really cool that you completed your set! But more then that, thanks for sharing it with us. You are full of great info and even though your heart may not be worth a "spit" it's still a big heart down deep under that tough skin. Thanks again for your help and sharing your knowledge.
Jeremy

Looking for Johnson anything and Ca gas signs and ?
K
K
I remember that track, although I remembered it as being Texaco. Ours was probably DX since that was in the area and my Dad filled up there quite often. The set we had came with '63 Impalas. I think there were two, although I only remember a red one.

At some point I would like to pick up a set, now I know what to call it when I search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved