Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Gave me a scare when I saw the Bennett Shell pump, until I saw the door decals and lead signs. I thought you'd been to my place and got the 541 I just finished restoring. I have the decals coming to finish it, but I decided not to put the lead signs on. Just couldn't stand to drill the four holes each in the doors. Great looking stuff you picked up....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Damn, I'm sitting here... crying!

Dave, congrats on acquiring those fantastic items!... Man, would that National look good in my garage... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bob, I'm running out of space. If you were closer, I would take care of that extra space in your garage...

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage

I was told that the Mobilgas Shield sign was only used from 1930-1933 is that correct? The blue re-enforcement bar across the top is porcelain coated as well.

Hi Dave,
In the line of dating the shield, I would narrow the sign down to 1932, 1933, or 1934 for years of manufacture with the "A S-V Product" wording at the bottom. You will also notice the sign has a more cream background, not white, which is a trademark of the pre-1935 shields. I have not seen a 1935 dated sign, but they more than likely exist. I know for certain I have seen 1936 signs and they just have "Socony Vacuum" under the Mobilgas, and are white background.
The Pegasus was not adopted as the "official" trademark/logo until 1931, so no way a shield sign could predate that year. The earliest shields I have seen are dated 1932, which makes complete sense to me with the year the Pegasus logo was adopted. They wouldn't have immediately changed the branding of all of the independent subsidiary companies under the 1931 Socony and Vacuum merger until a unified symbol was created, which turned out to be the shield with Pegasus. As many know, a few of the subsidiary companies had their logos on the larger size pole shields for the first few years, for instance White Star and Wadhams shields which turn up occasionally. The were used after the S-V merger and feature the Pegasus design with the subsidiary logo underneath MOBILGAS to help unify the branding across the United States.
Nice buys by the way!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank-you Darin.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved