Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#45287 Sat Mar 02 2002 11:19 AM
K
kburkey Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I just purchased an AO Smith Model 483 gas pump. Serial number is 05-BD153. This is the first pump I've ever purchased and it appears fairly complete and in decent condition. It's been kept indoors at a greenhouse for several years.

The glass needs replaced on one side and the pump needs refinishing. I'm trying to determine any restoration options I have. Unfortunately, there's no documentation with the pump, and I've been unable to come across anything on the Internet.

Can anyone help me out with some (or any) info?

Thanks,
Keith

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#45288 Sat Mar 02 2002 01:09 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The A.O. Smith 483 started out as a Erie 483 (the Salesman-48) pump, introduced in 1958. It was given the number 483 because it was part of the 480 series, that was 48" tall. After A.O. Smith acquired Erie around 1959 it became part of the Smith line, now called "SMITH-Erie." The pump continued in production for a number of years, eventually manufactured under the A.O. Smith name only, after they dropped the Erie part of their name.
I have Erie ads for this pump and a A.O. Smith service manual that covers the entire 480 series. I can be contacted at: jhsim@swbell.net
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#45289 Sat Mar 02 2002 05:34 PM
Z
Z
I have a few of these pumps. Should be able to help on most parts you might need. I have a couple that were Texaco spec pumps and had porc. doors and not paint. If yours are the same way that may cut down on your choices for restoration.

#45290 Sun Mar 03 2002 03:29 PM
K
kburkey Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks guys. Jack, I'll be emailing you shortly. Zip's, do you have any pictures of your 483s?

My pump is a Texaco, and the doors are porcelain. They're not too bad, but there's enough damage to them that I'd like to have them redone. Is this even possible? How could I come up with appropriate color matches?

The stainless steel trim is in fairly good shape (just needs cleaned, although there are some dinges) and the chromed aluminum parts need redone. Each step of the restoration is going to be new for me, and I want to do it right. Any thoughts or hints on redoing porcelain, chrome, or stainless?

One final question, would it destroy the collector's value (if there is any on this type of a pump) for me to cosmetically restore it and gut the insides (other than the gauges)? I'm going to keep this pump indoors, and this would lighten it up a great deal. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help guys!

Keith

#45291 Mon Mar 04 2002 08:43 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dear Keith, With regards to your question about the chrome and stianless if you cant buff these pieces try a fabrication shop. Some times they can restore them back to their luster or remake them fairly cheep. As to your question about the guts get rid of them and dispose of properly. I can promise you there is still gas in them and it could leak. If I am able I sometimes restore the motor so when you lift the nozzle it sounds like it works. Good luck and post it in the Showcase section when you are done so we can see it.

#45292 Sat Mar 09 2002 03:35 PM
D
D
Keith, look in Hemmings Motor News in the classified services section there are several stainless trim refurbishing outfits that can get your trim back to new if not too badly beat up.

------------------

#45293 Mon Mar 11 2002 12:15 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keith , Congrates on your first pump.Watch out I started with one and now have over 50. If the porcelain doors are in ok shape I would just clean and polish them. I my opinion porcelain gas pumps are worth more in there near original shape. Buy a polishing wheel at your local hardware store and mount it on a bench grinder, use semi-chrome polish by Habachi and polish all stainless steel. Discard pump guts, if you don't have a grinder you can use the motor out of the pump as a buffer. Replace the glass, clean and lube the computer gears and wheels. Buy a globe, decals or plate ,and new hose. I have done this on a national porcelain pump and it looks great. Chips in porcelain can look great, adds character! As far as doing a complete restoration I save those for the painted pumps. Good luck I hope you enjoy your A.O. smith for many years.

Gas Pump Rob

#45294 Thu Mar 14 2002 06:14 AM
K
kburkey Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks guys for all the help! I'm getting more and more excited about restoring it every day.

I've decided to go ahead and gut the insides. Right now though, I've been disassembling it and documenting and diagramming the various pieces.

One of the Fire Chief signs had been painted over with a white/tan latex paint. I've spend the last couple nights working on removing the paint using metal polish, and shining the stainless steel. I'm feeling pretty good about how its coming so far.

Unfortunately, I've struck out in finding a local place to rechrome the aluminum. The chrome is pitted and chipped beyond repair, so I'm going to have it redone. I'll check out Hemmings as well as Carlisle this spring.

I'll post pictures as soon as I can take a few. Thanks!

Keith

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved