Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#43071 Sat Aug 09 2008 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO, sorry, yes you should have known better and no, you should not feel bad about asking for your money back...but the seller refused (nicely) and no prior return policy had been defined...so you are sol.

Can you in turn try to sell it to someone and honestly say you don't know how old it is? Sure you can, you don't know the day or year it was made... but you will not because you know that would be deceptive.

Did the seller know it was not a vintage item? That we do not know.

If not, he is just a seller with no return policy who did not research the item he was selling.

But if so...that's much like the porcelain sign sellers on ebay selling items listed as "this is not a new sign". You know, the guy who's ebay handle is listed all over the site and often called nasty names.
----------
Edit to add...sorry, my post sounds kinda insenstive, did not mean to come off that way. I feel for you, and have brought home an item to find it was not original also and enjoy it regardless.

HAGD

[This message has been edited by tokheim (edited 08-10-2008).]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#43072 Sat Aug 09 2008 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Before I start rambling I want everyone to know that these are my feelings and in no way intended to be hurtful, disrespectful or cause harm in any way. With that warning here I go.
We are so used to getting our money back when we are not 100% satisfied that we tend not to think clearly when we purchase. I've even said to myself, "Go ahead and buy it, if I don't like it I'll just take it back." The big stores have the 100% satisfied guarantee that we expect it in all our purchases. It is sad to me that we have gotten so spoiled we cry like babies when we don't get our way. I've done it, but I am trying to wean myself from it. As a consumer we need to educate ourselves and think BEFORE WE BUY. I guarantee (ha ha) that getting burned on a couple of transactions will be a better learning experience than getting your money back. You're next purchase will be a better one for it.
Mike

#43073 Mon Aug 11 2008 01:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Good point, bruzer75. As with the 100% satisfied guarantee, some people take advantage of that also. One example comes to mind is around Super Bowl time when an individual goes and purchases a large flat-screen TV with no intention of keeping it. Simple returns it the next week after the game.

Through this post I had an epiphany that deep down my issue is with people's integrity. I've had quite a few issues in the past year of dealing with folks in many different industries and businesses and I constantly have to hound them to show up to do the work and then watch them like a hawk to make sure the job gets done right. What's happened that people don't take pride in their own work. I know there have always been bad people around, but now, to me anyway, seems more and more people are apathetic to everyone else's situation. I guess the 'me generation' has affected mostly everyone. I'm sure I can do better in this very same area. I think it would be to a seller/collectors best interest to satisfy one of their first time buyers. You never know what else that person might buy or turn up and give you first offer.

Not trying to appear holier–than–thou, since I fall short quite often myself, but I attempt to follow the rule: "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you..."

[This message has been edited by CircaDesigns (edited 08-11-2008).]

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved