Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Originally Posted By: bppierce
If a seller doesn't know the value of an item and therefore posts is as "make an offer", what criteria do they use to know when to accept an offer? I just don't get that.

...BINGO! that's the real issue, isn't it? the person soliciting offers HAS to have a number in their mind that sounds good to them (otherwise they wouldn't be able to accept ANY offer!) - but they won't state that number, in case it's lower than what someone MIGHT be willing to pay...just scared to death eek that they'll leave a dollar on the table...

...can you imagine if you had to go through this rigamarole with EVERY transaction you made? mad

...regarding the seller who priced all of his stuff, only to have to dicker with every potential buyer: most folks add 'wiggle room' to their prices for that very reason...THAT'S why the seller 'bothered to price' everything: it gave, at the very least, a starting point for the conversation...when I'm browsing at a show, sometimes I'll ask if the seller can do a little better; sometimes I just buy the item, if I'm glad to have found it and I think it's a fair price...

You are exactly 100% correct.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Originally Posted By: Ryan Underthun
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
Originally Posted By: bppierce
If a seller doesn't know the value of an item and therefore posts is as "make an offer", what criteria do they use to know when to accept an offer? I just don't get that.

...BINGO! that's the real issue, isn't it? the person soliciting offers HAS to have a number in their mind that sounds good to them (otherwise they wouldn't be able to accept ANY offer!) - but they won't state that number, in case it's lower than what someone MIGHT be willing to pay...just scared to death eek that they'll leave a dollar on the table...

...can you imagine if you had to go through this rigamarole with EVERY transaction you made? mad

...regarding the seller who priced all of his stuff, only to have to dicker with every potential buyer: most folks add 'wiggle room' to their prices for that very reason...THAT'S why the seller 'bothered to price' everything: it gave, at the very least, a starting point for the conversation...when I'm browsing at a show, sometimes I'll ask if the seller can do a little better; sometimes I just buy the item, if I'm glad to have found it and I think it's a fair price...

You are exactly 100% correct.

+1 - what they said smile Hit the nail on the head!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with these last few posts.
I too prefer to have a starting point to work with. When I see an item marked with "make an offer" on Oldgas, I usually just move on. I figure I'll make an offer and they will use my "Bid" for leverage with someone with deeper pockets. I dont mind paying retail for some stuff, if I really want it. But I'm not interested in getting into a back and forth PM "auction" with somebody who is willing to overpay (in my mind) for the said item.
I dont care for a booth at a show where there are no prices on items. I prefer when the dealer takes the time to mark their items.That way you can negotiate, or just move on. Lotsa times when theres no price marked I'll ask and when the dealer comes back with some ridiculous price, there is an awkward moment when you put it down and try to move on to the next booth without offending the person. Sometimes I feel like the dealer sizes you up and throws a number out there if he feels you really want the item. That wastes both of our time. We sell general antiques at a few shows a year and try to have prices on our items. We just mark what we would like to get and what we feel is fair. Then, if someone makes an offer we can decide if its an item we want to get rid of or an item we would like to hold out on for awhile .

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I dont think the Old Gas site needs more rules. The ones in place are not followed a lot of the time anyways. As an example, the for sale section guidelines has this "rule";

" Please restrict comments in this forum to those directly related to the buying or selling of the items listed in the topic.

Posts that criticize the condition or price of the item will be deleted."

Yet in this for sale add there are about 10 comments having nothing to do with the sale or a valid offer to buy.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=448562

One possible solution would be to make yet another catagory, the "For sale, make an offer" catagory. Or combine it with the vaule wanted section. or to keep the number of catagories somewhat under control, make a Misc. catagory. Put all of the Value wanted and make offer type of post there. That way if people dont like it, they do not have to look at it.

I see no reason to say a person can not take offers on their property they want to sell. While I do not like to buy stuff that way, I for one do not think as a rule a person should not be able to do it.

Last edited by Wes Maxwell; Thu Jul 18 2013 06:34 AM.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I dont think the Old Gas site needs more rules. The ones in place are not followed a lot of the time anyways. As an example, the for sale section guidelines has this "rule";

" Please restrict comments in this forum to those directly related to the buying or selling of the items listed in the topic.

Posts that criticize the condition or price of the item will be deleted."

Yet in this for sale add there are about 10 comments having nothing to do with the sale or a valid offer to buy.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=448562

Geez Wes...... sometimes ya gotta be able to have a little fun. smile Regarding the link to the Pegasus for sale.

The moderators don't have the time or the inclination to clamp down hard on every part of every post that is not strictly within the rules. We expect most members to follow rules for the good of the community. We understand that a little humor is healthy if it doesn't go too far and an examination of authenticity or a tactful dose of reality are sometimes required.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll take the 5th!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I will drink a 5th

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
perfect example of the best offer method, and why it shouldnt be allowed:

Best Offer Example Thread

I was the one who offered $150... after receiving the highest offer, the seller just takes it and posts it to fish for higher amounts. If you want an auction style, do an auction style. Or better yet, just go to Ebay. I was real close to just ignoring best offer posts, now I think I will - which is unfortunate cause I would like to think I am a pretty regular buyer on here.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce, That's $25 More than I would have Offered for ALL of 'm.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well despite, or because of this thread, there is a new best offer on the site right now. I will take Bryce's position and not involve myself in those sales.
Fred

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
They are still doing it. I ignore those posts. How do I know if I'm interested if I don't know the price? For a dollar I'm interested. For a million bucks I ain't. Somewhere in between I may be.

Ed from South Jersey
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved