Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: hotrodfun1
all I have to say is Alex is right on with what he said and when I go to a auction I don't get a price for something or on ebay do I get a set price. People ask me a price of stuff and there is a lot of people I ask for a value on something. Also, you can put a price on something all day long, but you have to have the cash buyer first. There is no bad thing with asking for an offer I have to offer most of the time anyway. Just my two cents.

Must be the way we Montanan's think..LOL

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Originally Posted By: hotrodfun1
all I have to say is Alex is right on with what he said and when I go to a auction I don't get a price for something or on ebay do I get a set price. People ask me a price of stuff and there is a lot of people I ask for a value on something. Also, you can put a price on something all day long, but you have to have the cash buyer first. There is no bad thing with asking for an offer I have to offer most of the time anyway. Just my two cents.

The for sale section is not called the auction or best offer section.

I can see where you guys are coming from though.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I was looking to buy a house or pickup, I never see signs that say Make Offer or Best Offer Accepted.

On here it really is hard giving a Ball Park Estimate w/o 1 [or more] pictures. 1 chip can be a $500-$5,000+ difference on some signs/globes.

Advertising Signs, Auction sites

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is right from the Guidlelines at the top of the For Sale Section...

Auctions must have a specific end time and any other conditions defined in the first post. (Auctions are allowed)

We recommend that items for sale are priced by the seller. The vast majority of willing buyers expect it.
(Recommended, but not required) Convince the boss to change the rules or we all need to play within them. Anyway, it makes for good discussion. we just need a few cold ones to go along with it.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's a No Win situation, no matter how many times WE Discuss it or have another Poll.

For MANY Years the Government Supported Smoking [& still subsidizes farmers that grow tobacco], BUT yet the Government is spending Billions on Anti-Smoking!

I vote that No Item maybe posted in the For Sale Forum w/o a picture & a price, UH-less it is an auction.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
People are making fake accounts and selling...People are also selling signs that belong to others with and without permission! LOL
I agree with Dick! No items should be posted without a price, picture, and ONLY by verified members! smile

Here are the rules from the antique radio forum!
The for sale section works Great!
Forum rules

The following requirements must be followed when advertising personal antique radio / TV / audio / phono items (such as discussed in the forums here) for sale in the classifieds forum::

Titles must START with : FS (for sale) or WTB (want to buy) or Trade or Free at the beginning of the title..

FS posts must have an "asking" price and offers may be sent by PM. Are you parting something out? ... price each major part (not things like screws and nuts)

There must be a location somewhere in the ad or the members profile (City & State or Zip Code are the minimum requirement).

Ads are limited to two per day, and may not be bumped sooner than 7 days after the last post to the thread.

No outside sales links are allowed other than to pictures of actual items being sold. No links allowed to eBay, Craigslist etc.

This is NOT a discussion forum. If you're not buying or supplying or suggesting a relevant solution, don't post - send a Private Message. Comments on pricing will be deleted.

First to post to an item for sale stating "I WILL TAKE IT" it is first in line. Subsequent claims will be followed in the order they are posted. Claims to "Take it" can be conditional on unknowns such as shipping costs.

Any "PM sent" posts without posting a reason for the PM will be deleted as they are meaningless to anyone else reading the thread.

Once a deal is made, edit the title to say so and the thread will be locked

If your thread or post disappears - read the rules again - no warnings or explanations will be given when threads or posts are deleted.

Last edited by tomzcollectiblez; Tue Jul 16 2013 02:53 PM.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Here is a direct link to antique radio forum rules...
Im NOT saying we should adopt these exactly, HOWEVER there are some VERY important parts of this we should seriously consider smile
Antiqur Radio Forum rules

C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
Good points.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last time I checked, this site works really well just the way it is but if you want to make it more secure, then have a more substantial sign up info page with a confirmation of some type and leave the for sale forum alone. There are enough "deputies" on here that keep it mostly safe.
Do not shoot the site in the foot by making it anything but unfriendly and easy to sign up and post.
Do not restrict new members to a certain # of posts before letting them post in the for sale section, some people are not petro heads but still kind enough to let us in on what they found or dug up or ??? and they might only need to be on here just to sell that item. The member that buys it will be happy they posted it once they have it at it's new home.
The new people freshen up this site and keep the hobby growing and changing. They are a important part of this site because most of them are the future of this hobby.
Ernie is a great example of this. He only came onto this site to help his friend get the best deals for the incredible collection that he had built up over decades. He did not know what prices to ask but he did a bunch of research and asked a lot of good people and during all this, the petro bug bit him hard and now he has started a great collection for himself. I do not think he would have become the petro nut that he is if the site had restricted his activities at the start.
JM2C

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think, one would have to be pretty naive to believe that having sellers post a price will have life altering consequences for some. I just want to clarify that; Posting a price will not cause the forces of the universe to conspire against you and change your destiny.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Tue Jul 16 2013 04:27 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
wow, I wish this is all I had to worry about. some of you guys really take the fun out of this.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: PETRO NUT
wow, I wish this is all I had to worry about. some of you guys really take the fun out of this.

Ditto

How about the buyer never wants to make an offer, for fear he'll be way over. Let's be truthful folks... LMAO

C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
Just try giving someone an offer that wants more than you think it is worth, like twice. See what kind of reaction you get on an offer then. It all evens out, but sometimes people just fish.

Craig
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I posted my first item with offers only this past week. I will be the first to admit, I hate the "offer" game that people want to play. I knew what I expected out of it and told all inquiries that I would price it in 48 hours. Actually texted LSx (OG handle)what I was willing to take for it. Only reason I did list it as make an offer, was that I had several in depth conversations with a couple people when I got the item and I was trying to be somewhat loyal to those previous comments. I even posted that in the listing. It turned out for the better, as the item sold with in 20 minutes to one of the people that inquired about it previously. He stepped up and his offer was the first offer that was with-in reason, and was the first offer I took. Will probably be my one and only "offer sale" on OG as I have probably listed over a 1000 items on here since I started.

Very few times, but there are a few instances when the offer method serves a purpose. Bottom line is if you want to sell it, price it. The people that constantly fish shouldn't be allowed to sale after X amount of "make offer" posts, especially if that is all they do.

Part of learning the hobby/trade is overpaying and underselling. I have done it a hundred times, if not more. You live and you learn. If you take the knowledge of another and try to use it for yourself, eventually you will get burnt.(which has also happened to me) I love hear stories about people getting good deals and I love hear stories about people getting top dollar out of stuff. Probably what keeps me going. LEARNING about this stuff, including the pricing is what I like most about it.

Last edited by chadrock00; Tue Jul 16 2013 07:32 PM.
C
C
Originally Posted By: Alex
This is right from the Guidlelines at the top of the For Sale Section...

Auctions must have a specific end time and any other conditions defined in the first post. (Auctions are allowed)

We recommend that items for sale are priced by the seller. The vast majority of willing buyers expect it.
(Recommended, but not required) Convince the boss to change the rules or we all need to play within them. Anyway, it makes for good discussion. we just need a few cold ones to go along with it.

Looks to me like you are set up to keep everyone happy at one time or another. Realistically speaking "For Sale" means there is a seller looking for a buyer. The details of any particular sale, if there is one, will only be important to the buyer and seller. No one else needs to be upset how any sale took place that made both the buyer and seller happy. Or even if a seller has the time and patience to wait for the best deal knowing what that could be... that should be ok too. It shouldn't be "it's my way or the highway" mentality. How about "to each his own" "different strokes for different folks"... personal preference is personal to the individual and individuality is a good thing. No harm no foul right?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved