Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it's pretty simple. If it's for sale then it should have a price listed.

If you unsure of the value then, do your homework. Once, you know what it's worth then list it with a PRICE.

Estimates of value at best are only educated guesses. Show it to ten different people and you will get varying evaluations.

If, you are afraid of selling it for less then it's worth. In that case, list it auction style with an opening bid. Let the market determine what it is truly worth.

The true value of any item is what is someone willing to pay for the item in question in that moment.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't understand the make me a offer stuff either? If you are a seller , give a price. It's aggravating when you go to buy anything , and seller says what will you give me? Its kind of like ,how much you got in your wallet ?

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Several moderators are currently talking about options on pricing in the For Sale Petro forum. I don't want to run off newbies like Cindy who posted above. But things have changed in the hobby and on this site and we need to address those changes. We appreciate your ideas posted here.

Requiring prices is easy but administrating that will take additional moderator time. Dealing with the need by some for taking offers and auction format selling will take some more thought in working out the details.

If you are a moderator, send me a PM or email. If you are a member, post your thoughts here.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
How about a poll of the membership on requiring a price? Maybe this has been done and I missed it? I agree with what Bob and Dave have said above, and as Ryan said we do have a value forum to help new sellers determine fair prices. To me, if you are ready to advertise it for sale - you should be ready to put a price on it to sell! Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Requiring a price? I would not be in favor of that. One member is already pricing his stuff at what some consider way to high and people complain about that. If it is something I want bad enough I will make an offer. Then again if something I am only slightly interested in if it doesn't have a price I normally just let it go. As Cindy mentioned, she has no idea on what it is worth and her family needs a fair price. I see no problem with asking for offers. Not the way I like to buy stuff but it is still the sellers item.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is one of the reasons that people ask for offers.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=418504&page=1
That sign went out to a "offer" that was given from across the country and was $4000 above the asking price of $1000 in the ad!!!! ,,, and he still probably has 'lots of meat left on the bone'.
The policy that has been in place is still very good!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
When I go to the store to buy some Oreo cookeis, there is a price listed, every time.

When I go to the junkyard to buy a used fender they give me a price as well.

When I go to the gas station, guess what, the price for gas is listed.

How is this any different?

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I belong to an antique bicycle site and the rule is simple, to list an item for sale you must post a picture and a price. If you don't the post is deleted. No warnings No bickering posts. The ad just vanishes. The For Sale section runs flawlessly there.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan: I think one of the differences is that the Oreo people knows what is cost to make the cookie and what their profit margin needs to be and what they can charge so it doesn't drive off the buyers to the competion.

In Bob's case mentioned above where someone was unscrupulous, then making an offer or setting a price wouldn't make a difference. They would still probaly be unscruplulous. i have seen that happen on this site as well. Again, my preference is for people to list a price, but I am not conceend if they say, make an offer. Make an offer and move on or don't make an offer and move on.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with you Ryan. The way I look at an advertised item is that the seller has a price in mind or they wouldn't be advertising it. If the ad posts an "asking" price then to me that means they are throwing out a starting point but would probably take a little less. If the price is "firm" , I take that to mean what it says and don't make lowball offers on it. If they just say make an offer I usually stay away from it because they are just fishin and it could be that they will take a low price but usually it's the opposite and they know they're too high when they post it. Just my two cents worth.....or maybe it's a nickels worth, I'm not sure.....GB.

C
C
Understandable Ryan. That is what I was attempting to do coming here on this site. I posted under general hoping for more general info on some signs for starters and also more importantly if there was info available regarding local collectors beings the PA section in the directory had older listings. I knew I couldn't expect more than general info without more specific info on the exact signs; condition, size, etc - plus pictures. I don't have any of that yet but I do see my post was moved to the value section. Collectors know where to find this info without help I'm sure. People like me do not. My attempt at researching kept leading me back to this site and I guess I haven't looked in the right place here to learn anything without posting. I have been trying internet searches though and was very surprised this massive world wide web offers very little info. I guess you need to buy books and all which I wouldn't mind if this wasn't a 1 time thing and if I knew what book was needed. I had hoped to learn some kind of basic/general knowledge first or at least be lead in the right direction to gain that. I now know that isn't necessary here. Your members are very helpful and will contact privately having little info to go on. I only posted my thoughts on this topic thinking some may realize it still might be worth making a offer if no price is listed knowing that if I did have pictures I very well may have did the same if I came across a non ebay ad section. And also hoping some might realizing "newbies" aren't trying to simply amuse anyone. Sorry if I did or said anything wrong. I'm glad I kept being lead back to this site. I am confident that I will get the best info available here once I have everything needed to do so... even if right now some members might be getting a laugh seeing my post under value without that. :-)

Originally Posted By: KZ1000
I belong to an antique bicycle site and the rule is simple, to list an item for sale you must post a picture and a price. If you don't the post is deleted. No warnings No bickering posts. The ad just vanishes. The For Sale section runs flawlessly there.

I am an active member on three or four other forums, (performance boating, drag racing, car audio, ect) ALL of them require pictures and prices or the ad is deleted.

Many of the forums require a piece of paper in the picture with the users name and the date as well. This helps people from selling something that does not belong to them, although that is really not a problem here... Yet.

Originally Posted By: Cindy B
Understandable Ryan. That is what I was attempting to do coming here on this site. I posted under general hoping for more general info on some signs for starters and also more importantly if there was info available regarding local collectors beings the PA section in the directory had older listings. I knew I couldn't expect more than general info without more specific info on the exact signs; condition, size, etc - plus pictures. I don't have any of that yet but I do see my post was moved to the value section. Collectors know where to find this info without help I'm sure. People like me do not. My attempt at researching kept leading me back to this site and I guess I haven't looked in the right place here to learn anything without posting. I have been trying internet searches though and was very surprised this massive world wide web offers very little info. I guess you need to buy books and all which I wouldn't mind if this wasn't a 1 time thing and if I knew what book was needed. I had hoped to learn some kind of basic/general knowledge first or at least be lead in the right direction to gain that. I now know that isn't necessary here. Your members are very helpful and will contact privately having little info to go on. I only posted my thoughts on this topic thinking some may realize it still might be worth making a offer if no price is listed knowing that if I did have pictures I very well may have did the same if I came across a non ebay ad section. And also hoping some might realizing "newbies" aren't trying to simply amuse anyone. Sorry if I did or said anything wrong. I'm glad I kept being lead back to this site. I am confident that I will get the best info available here once I have everything needed to do so... even if right now some members might be getting a laugh seeing my post under value without that. :-)

I am glad that you are having a positive experience here. You have not done anything wrong here that I can see.... Yet, LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This area of collecting is a tricky business and the real advantage most of the members here have is simply experience.
Years of going to auctions, buying/selling, reading guides on the items, watching Ebay items..is the only real way to become somewhat familiar with pricing.

The no price thing...?? just what the other post said.."leave no meat on the bone" mentality.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
all I have to say is Alex is right on with what he said and when I go to a auction I don't get a price for something or on ebay do I get a set price. People ask me a price of stuff and there is a lot of people I ask for a value on something. Also, you can put a price on something all day long, but you have to have the cash buyer first. There is no bad thing with asking for an offer I have to offer most of the time anyway. Just my two cents.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved