Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#429193 Thu Jul 11 2013 12:08 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hey gassers! I have a picture of gramps standing under one of these round Standard Oil "Service" signs as pictured above the Standard Oil sign in photo. I will in the near future be needing one of these so let me know if and how much they go for please.I believe the torch forms part of the E on service and is also 3D. The picture I have is from 1930 so I know they have to be somewhat rare. I know the sign I am looking for is blue, not red as pictured,thanks,Marc

sign i need.jpg
Last edited by greasyboy1970; Thu Jul 11 2013 12:10 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the second time in the last two weeks we've seen a sign(s) in a building and the building is fantastic. That station looks great. Is the picture contemporaneous or dated? If that is what it looks like now, its in great shape, pretty out there architectural design for small town SD.
Fred

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Picture was captured off web for example, not quite sure where this pic was taken. I just need the big circle sign,thanks and yes, cool station for sure!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
This is the sign I need guys and gals! Will probably have to part with some other things I have but thats A-OK if I can locate one of these. Please call, pm, or e-mail me if this is possible,thanks,Marc. This is the last piece I need to the complete the tribute to grandpa so if someone can locate one for me I would be eternally grateful. Like I said before it may take me a little time to fund this sign but I am a serious buyer by all means.

service sign.jpg
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Good news and bad news. These are not impossible to find, one was at Iowa Gas last year.

The bad news is they are rare.

The real bad news is they are not really a sign. They are a hunk of masonry about six inches thick and about 100 pounds! They were grouted in to the brick walls of the station.

There is also a version that is just a crown.

Good luck on your hunt, in the mean time, start lifting weights!

Lee

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Lee! I won't stop til I get one someday, would love to see a pic of the crown. I would find a way to incorporate that sign into my collection know matter what it was made of. I had a weight bench once, those things were heavy smile! Thanks for the info, I appreciate it very much,Marc / Here is grandpa standing under the sign in Sioux City in 1930.

grandpa in Sioux City station.jpg
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Here you go, This standard station still exists as a community bike shop. Not sure if the crown is still there due to the bike shop sign covering that portion of the station. Info at www.revolvekc.org.

Lee

Former-Standard-Oil-Service-Station-e1354066391378.jpg
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
There is still an operating station here in St. Louis with about three of them still attached to the wall. I believe I posted pictures of them here on OG a couple of years ago.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Theres that Coke sign someone was asking about a while back...

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks to you all for the insight and info. Those crowns are sweet! I am happy I didn't find a pic of gramps under one of those too smile.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think there is one on the Iowa gas auction this year. Check under Mathews auction Iowa Gas link

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a different pic of the other side of the station. Figured you guys would like the 800s in the background smile.Looks like 6 pumps at this particular station.

papa at sioux city.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved