Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
A very basic point Billy, in the line of globe collecting, is that almost all one piece globes were originally produced from 1931 and before. (generic Shell clams and most Standard crowns are not in the rare category like most of the 1931 and before one piece globes)
The Pegasus logo, used in conjunction with the Mobilgas name and design as depicted on this JUNK globe in question, dates to 1934. I think these two basic points are enough to make an informed decision on this globe. wink
Socony-Vacuum was a very large company, making the Mobilgas and Mobilgas Special globes some of the most plentiful and commonly available in the hobby. I would readily make a bet that if this globe design was ever originally produced in the early 1930's, it would certainly be documented and several examples would probably exist in the collections of well known rare globe collectors today, which it does not.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As Darrin said the pegasus is post-34.
The globes before looked like these.

AND

And the Progressive which i dont have with the red and white lines.

So no peggy on those

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Well some new collector just got ripped. What a shame.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tankar
Well some new collector just got ripped. What a shame.

Heck it could have been an old collector thinking they have never seen that item and had to have it!!!

We will see if it shows up in the BOTW!!!!

$656 PLUS shipping has to be hard to grasp when they find it is FAKE!

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Some one posted earlier that it could have came from Vic's in the 80's.If so would there not be a record of it some where in the archives?

i still do not know if it is fake or not,one of the reasons i contacted the seller and posted his reply is this---a no. of years ago i posted a Signal pump plate for sale on this site and immeditely an old gas member was on me like a duck on a june bug accusing me of knowing it was fake and yada yada.well in fact it was not a repop and i knew that,no doubt the ranting put doubt in some peoples mind about bidding on it.even D.B. came out of his hole and verified it as being authentic,also Roach.It did sell after a time but my point, unless you can prove it is fake put up or shut up!I do not see the proof on the Mobil yet.I have also learned to never say never.Hell,i just said it.

Frank Jordan
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Globe was made about 15 years ago by Petroleum Artifacts which i think is out of business now.They were marked just inside the base hole with a ink stamp ---- of 100.

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
P
P
Hey Frank, I see your point. "Proving" something to be a fake is often difficult. I will say this.....I wouldn't have that globe in my collection if you gave it me and paid the shipping....for whatever that's worth. Why? Because I "believe" it to be a fake and I don't knowingly add fakes to the collection.

Richard

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Pegasus
Hey Frank, I see your point. "Proving" something to be a fake is often difficult. I will say this.....I wouldn't have that globe in my collection if you gave it me and paid the shipping....for whatever that's worth. Why? Because I "believe" it to be a fake and I don't knowingly add fakes to the collection.

Good answer!
Richard

Frank Jordan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved