Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Geeeeez They even have the balls to put a reserve on it.

I bought a pump awhile back that had that same globe on it. The guy I bought it from told me it was an unmarked reproduction he got from Vics in the 80s

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=gulfiend!]...already up to $500???

looks like a trap!.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i agree, looks like a trap however i think we can take care of that...

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
yeah next bid owns it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
hopefully it will be gone before that happens

P
P
Did you notice the spelling error? "lolli-poop" would be a more accurate description.............

Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Or LOL-repop

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I contacted the seller,here is his reply."Here is what i can tell you about the globe.I have owned it for approx.20 years it came with a visible pump i purchased.The previous owner acquired it the same way and owned it for approx.10 years ago.He purchased it from an old farm on the same pump.I have discussed the globe with a local Mobil collector and he tells me Mobil did did use this style 1 piece globe,and he has a similiar one in his collection.I have not seen this globe for sale in any of the catalogs i have seen through the years nor have i seen it at a swap meet or on e-bay.Thank you for noticing my feed back.I have worked hard to keep and maintain my rating through accurate descriptions,fast secure shipping and reasonable shipping charges and good customer communication." He was not familiar with OLDGAS.COM but he is now and has read the posts.I have no idea if this globe is the genuine thing but feel the seller should have the opportunity to explain his position,which he has done.Check his feed back!

Last edited by hawkike; Fri Jun 14 2013 10:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
O K , I'll give him the benefit of doubt. I think the thing to do is wait an see what happens now . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: eshaver
O K , I'll give him the benefit of doubt. I think the thing to do is wait an see what happens now . Ed Shaver

Thanks Ed.Interesting to see how it plays out.I know Shell made a one piece globe that was very similiar to the Mobil,

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Please give us some info .Why do you guys think this globe if fake .I am sure that you know what you are talking about ,but many of us are trying to learn from you old timers .If you just say it's fake and not say why -we do not learn anything .We need specific details .If I had seen this globe at a show I would have assumed that it was real .However I don't buy anything that is breakable ,so I would not have bought it .Thanks in advance for your wisdom.Billy

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Texacopumpdog
Please give us some info .Why do you guys think this globe if fake .I am sure that you know what you are talking about ,but many of us are trying to learn from you old timers .If you just say it's fake and not say why -we do not learn anything .We need specific details .If I had seen this globe at a show I would have assumed that it was real .However I don't buy anything that is breakable ,so I would not have bought it .Thanks in advance for your wisdom.Billy

Well for starts there has never been a recorded instance of this globe being produced. Also the colors are wrong for Mobilgas and the horse looks horrible. Also there is no wear are all. Even NOS globes have some wear from being moved around. Also the milk glass Is way to white. There should be a tad bit of yellowing and the bottom should show some use/rust color on it from the pumps globe holder ring.

Last edited by mcguffeyd1; Sun Jun 16 2013 08:47 AM. Reason: cant spell lol

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
This is a perfect example of how unmarked reproductions, produced YEARS ago, "hurt" the hobby today. The seller has a good history of origin now spanning two previous owners and 30 years of time. And, we can even throw in the authentication by one local Mobil "collector". Heck, this globe must be real....right?

Many of us currently in our sixties probably won't be around to see it, but just imagine the problems the recent FLOOD of unmarked gas/oil repros (signs and globes) will cause 20 to 30 years in the future. They are now being turned out in such volumes. Of course, many repros being re-sold years from now could come with the "documentation" that the item has been in a collection or collections for nearly 30 years!

If we think it is buyer beware in our hobby now, just imagine the not too distant future. As others have noted, the growing uncertainty about the originality of items is sure to discourage some new collectors from entering this hobby of ours.

I know my comments aren't bringing anything new to many of you. However, the reality of future problems somehow became much clearer to me, after I read the detailed, justification response the eBay seller sent back to Hawkike. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Sun Jun 16 2013 09:42 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved