Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#421377 Sun Jun 09 2013 04:42 PM
S
scar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I'm restoring a visible in a Standard Oil of KY theme.
Does anybody know if there is someone out there reproducing
a globe for KYSO? The one I'm wanting is the one that says "CROWN" at the top, "GASOLINE" at the bottom, and "STANDARD KY" in the middle.
If not, does anyone have a drawing of the globe or an actual
globe that they could take a "straight on" photo of and email it to me so I can try to get a vinyl shop to make the lettering?
An original globe would be nice, but I'm sure it would be out of my price range.
Thanks

Last edited by Watchdog7; Sun Jun 09 2013 04:47 PM. Reason: Topic Title
scar #421526 Mon Jun 10 2013 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You mean this one?

Current 'book' value: $850.00 -$1,250.00.

It'll be tough to get the vinyl to go onto a curved surface. You will need to start off with a 'frosted' lens and have everything that is NOT white done in cut vinyl. Then apply each piece individually to get everything where it belongs.

There is still no guarentee the the longer pieces won't crinkle at the edges due to the curvature of the glass - or distort during installation.

Make sure to order 'translucent' vinyl otherwise once it's lit up everything will go black on you.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #421540 Mon Jun 10 2013 09:30 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm game to buy one if tways reproduces it. I actually talked to Jim a couple years about doing a custom run for me.

Last edited by Jamie Crosson; Mon Jun 10 2013 09:44 AM.

Jamie Crosson
T-way #421542 Mon Jun 10 2013 09:33 AM
S
scar Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Yes, that's the one!
I remember seeing that Fry pump for sale on Ebay years ago with that globe on it!!
I had saved that same picture years ago to my computer to use as the template, but it's just a little off center.
I was going to put the vinyl on the inside of a clear lens, and then paint it white with vinyl paint. I even thought about doing a negative vinyl where all the lettering would be removed, placing the vinyl, spray painting in the letters, peeling off the vinyl, then painting over the entire piece in white.

I found a Fry Mae West 117!
Now I need orig. parts!
Base doors, cyl. rods, skin & base bolts,
reg. fingers, conduit pipe, light arms & shades, & more
scar #421753 Tue Jun 11 2013 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vinyl on the 'outside' wants to pie-crust around the outer edges when you try to install it.'Cuz the center attaches first and the outer edges need to be shrunk as they are installed.

Vinyl on the 'inside' touches the edges first and then needs to be evenly stretched to meet the center. And you will see the adhesive through the glass from the outside.

Neither way produces a very good looking lens.

That being said - anybody that would be intersted in purchasing some of these as 15.0" regular production lenses, drop me a note and I'll start a list.

If I get 8 - 10 pre-orders, I'll run some off in time for Iowa Gas.

'Nuff said!

Later . . .

Jim
T-ways@email.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved