Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ebay items 360328929369 , 390605336717 , 360328929369 These are only the Texaco signs that are 11 to 12 inches in diameter .I am not going to say fake anymore ,but someone said 8" ,10' ,and 15" diameter signs are the only real ones .You look and you decide if you need to report them .These are all the Texaco round signs that are questionable

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
They're all reproductions. Texaco didn't use 12" signs.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thanks for stating it .Everyone please report them.We need to stay on them like a bulldog on a hambone .We are winning

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Unfortunatly it says,
"***Item Description***
Texaco Reproduction Round Star Porcelain Sign!
Measures 11 1/2" around
Features the harder to find Black "T" logo!
Great colors and displays very well! We have graded it a 9.5!"

So, they are covered by ebay's standards. ugh!
But I would hope that no one would buy them at $160!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe
Unfortunatly it says,
"***Item Description***
Texaco Reproduction Round Star Porcelain Sign!
Measures 11 1/2" around
Features the harder to find Black "T" logo!
Great colors and displays very well! We have graded it a 9.5!"

So, they are covered by ebay's standards. ugh!
But I would hope that no one would buy them at $160!!

That is correct but we can email the seller and tell them what we think.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't think we're "winning" at all. In fact, I don't think there is anything to win. EBay is just like anyother auction house, they can't determine if an item is authentic or not, they just provide a means to sell it. The buyer is ultimately the one who has to be educated.

This forum is great because it's a free resource, and Texaco signs have been discussed in depth (it would only take 10 minutes or less to find the thread covering these signs). I and many other Texaco collectors have posted quite a few pictures on this forum of original signs. If a buyer doesn't want to do their research and they spend their money on reproduction I feel no sympathy.

I buy what I know, and when I buy something outside my comfort zone of knowledge I know I am assuming a risk.

The organization that should be fighting this is Cheveron (they own the rights to the Texaco trademark), but they haven't and I doubt they ever will.

I know this opinion is different than most, but I wanted to share my thoughts.

J
J
Of the three, eBay auction number 390605336717 has me and a few others rolling on the floor as he used the term "NOS" to describe his reproduction item.

Who said you can't teach an old dog a new trick?

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
How about this one? If it measures 8", real?

tex plate I.jpg tex plate II.jpg

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I don't agree about not winning.We are not fighting a war -just one battle at a time . There are far fewer 11 3/4" signs on Ebay now than any time in the recent past .There is only one explanation and that is our reporting them as fakes.Let's just keep reporting a little while longer .A lot of the fakers are moving on to other kinds of scams .Let's just try for 1 day on Ebay with no 11 3/4" fakes .We are getting close to that day.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: SC62
How about this one? If it measures 8", real?

Boy Steve it sure looks right to me!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please... There are thousands of 11-3/4" signs on Ebay...

AND THEY DESERVE TO BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is "not a Battle", we are fighting! I've been IN THIS HOBBY for over 50 years... Before I started in the Hobby there were repops and fantasy items!!!!!!!!! After I leave the Hobby, there will be repops and fantasy items!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have been in the Hobby longer than 90+% of those in it, right now... My Father was one of the "Pioneers" of the Hobby in the 1940s... I do NOT have the right, nor the ability... to tell anyone what they can Sell! Nor what they can Sell that item for!...

If after ALL THE TIME, I HAVE IN THE HOBBY... I don't have the ability to tell someone what they can do WITH THEIR ITEMS.... Where in the world do some of you, get the idea you have such ability?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
J
J
Steve,

On the right hand side of the star, the tips do not look right. The outside edges are not straight to the point, you can see where the color over laps. Very poor quality or the sign has been touched up, or just a bad photo.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: Jerry Westfield
Steve,

On the right hand side of the star, the tips do not look right. The outside edges are not straight to the point, you can see where the color over laps. Very poor quality or the sign has been touched up, or just a bad photo.

Yah I saw that. But based on what I've been taught here on Oldgas, this sign would date very early. I'm not so sure that manufacturing process or just quality in general were all that well controlled.
Based on all that has been said about these signs here on Oldgas and from the story the guy is telling me, I'm calling good on this one. I may make a play at it. I hope it's not a mistake!!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
Please... There are thousands of 11-3/4" signs on Ebay...

AND THEY DESERVE TO BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is "not a Battle", we are fighting! I've been IN THIS HOBBY for over 50 years... Before I started in the Hobby there were repops and fantasy items!!!!!!!!! After I leave the Hobby, there will be repops and fantasy items!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have been in the Hobby longer than 90+% of those in it, right now... My Father was one of the "Pioneers" of the Hobby in the 1940s... I do NOT have the right, nor the ability... to tell anyone what they can Sell! Nor what they can Sell that item for!...

If after ALL THE TIME, I HAVE IN THE HOBBY... I don't have the ability to tell someone what they can do WITH THEIR ITEMS.... Where in the world do some of you, get the idea you have such ability?

i have to say Bob that what you say is very well put......there are sure a lot of pricing police and i really have to laugh when somebody tells me how much i should ask for my property , and what i should do with my property.....as long as the person tells the truth and does not decieve....

Originally Posted By: Jerry Westfield

Yah I saw that. But based on what I've been taught here on Oldgas, this sign would date very early. I'm not so sure that manufacturing process or just quality in general were all that well controlled.
Based on all that has been said about these signs here on Oldgas and from the story the guy is telling me, I'm calling good on this one. I may make a play at it. I hope it's not a mistake!!!!

i think your right, in my opinion this sign is 100% original
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

your right, the guy with auction # 360328929369 is selling as reproduction as stated in description,and he has that right, however the second guy with auction # 390605336717 is trying to sell his as original and it will be removed

Last edited by roadrelics; Thu Jun 06 2013 03:33 PM.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I was not talking about the 11 3/4" sold as reproductions .I am talking about the 11 3/4" repops being sold as originals .Go count the number on Ebay right now .There are fewer than there were a few weeks ago .I could care less if the seller says a sign is a repop and sells it for hundreds of dollars .As long as the buyer knows he is getting a repop I could care less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved