Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#403008 Wed Mar 20 2013 08:03 AM
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Really wanting a Cities Service large sign to hang outside of my garage in the elements. So fair condition sign, nothing real nice, and nothing with huge holes already.

let me know if you have something at a reasonable price.

thanks.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ttt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bryce--I have the top part of a pole sign, that's in really nice shape. A lot of the Cities Service signs were on 2 piece poles.
Both the sign and the holder are in great shape, but would be priced accordingly.
Not sure if this is beyond what you have in mind or not?

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ttt

Dear Bailey-Bee a-n-d Mr. Frith:

Thanks for reading. Saw two large neon clover/triangles at 2011 Dry Creek Swap-Meet. Could not visit their 2012 Swap-Meet (cannot drive, because of prescription-drugs)---but I'll be all too happy to search 2013 Swap-Meet for you. Note: Vendors' signs were both $400.00 each, and were both mounted on "walls" of white, porcelain tiles. Will also gladly search-out any giant, porcelainized-steel, "CITIES' SERVICE" clover for you. If/when I DO spot one...WILL write-down vendor's name...address...'phone number...& E-mail address, if any. wink

Please understand: It m-i-g-h-t be black-over-white (pre-W.W. II)...green-over-white (1945-'55)...or have corp. name on green "rectangle" which fits under giant "clover" (c. 1955-'64). Will definitely E-mail names (plus contact-information) of sellers with all such varieties. Two of Dry Creek's three founders/managers---Ivan Taunton & James Blakey---might belong to "Primarily Petroliana." I k-n-o-w that Dave Stephens does. Ask him if he can recall vendor's name. Oh!...and "Bailey-Bee" m-a-y need to r-e-m-i-n-d me, j-u-s-t before middle-weekend of September, when Dry Creek Swap-Meet annually occurs. Hope a large, porcelain/steel (or Plexiglas) "clover" w-i-l-l cross your path...v-e-r-y quickly! smile

Yours for a v-e-r-y happy Fathers' Day,

Michael Shepherd

Romans 3: 23-31

ESP. collect molded/embossed "wall-signs" & all-plastic globes. Can supply graphic-design for your small business; or paint/sketch family portrait, favorite vehicle, Granddad's station or car/truck agency, &c. Also draw in Disney-esque draughtsmanship.
Dear Mr. Frith and Bailey-Bee:

Thank you for reading this 2nd message, too. Admit that... blush I d-o have s-e-c-o-n-d reason to E-mail you both, via oldgas.com: Where can I find aluminum-alloy of Cities' "clover"?...in which triangle was welded-into clover? Each one was about 20-25 in. diameter. (Needn't include aluminum, "S-E-R-V-I-C-E" or "C-I-T-I-E-S" lettering.) Am not necessarily partial to Cities' Service, to Citgo, or to their affiliates; I just collect wall-mounted, "pump-island-canopy-signs" from a-l-l companies whose stations ever displayed them, one decade or another.

Will be particularly able to afford one a-f-t-e-r September; both Fayette's local Arts Festival a-n-d 2013 Dry Creek Swap-Meet will be over by then. Please also search-around for (2.)clover-shaped belt-buckle and (3.)clover-shaped, instrument-panel odometer. Ask you to search within swap-meet yourselves...for ANY seller/vendor with one of these three signs. If either of you have a-n-y s-u-r-p-l-u-s, duplicate "clovers" for sale/trade...I also call your attention to gas-station/country-store canvasses soon to appear under "Petroliana for Sale." If o-n-l-y I'd heard of both your collecting-interests...b-e-f-o-r-e I sold canvas of country-store (still standing, but now-abandoned), in-between Ala./Miss. border and Columbus/Columbus Air-Base/Miss. Univ. for Women. Would either of you ever like canvas, watercolor, or black/white ink picture of Cities' Service-affiliated retailer of y-o-u-r choices? (Might be Dixcel or Warner-Quinlan, since both of you are Midwestern...or Crew Levick...or Jenney...or La. Oil Refining Co., Shreveport-based marketer whon Cities' eventually bought (probably) during 1920s. Scanned watercolor which you see below, portrays my step-great-uncle's Loreco "cottage" within Eutaw, Ala. Like Columbus (pop. about 30,000 or so), Eutaw (pop. about 2000--and shrinking) is located in Tombigbee River's delta-region of (ugh!) Deep-South/Black Belt. More about Eutaw very soon. When you read about other, wall-mounted signs (which I'm asking Midwestern collectors to search swap-meets, antique-malls, & flea-markets for)---you'll read what THIS White, Gentile male thinks of having been born & raised Southern...! frown

Incidentally, this is one of m-a-n-y copies of 25 such watercolors for sale. However---none of these are for trading. You see, e-a-c-h color "print" is strictly a fund-raiser for Feed the Children: founded by Rev. Frances Jones' & Rev. Larry Jones, back in 1979. F.T.C. is charter member of (Rev. Billy Graham's) Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability---so you CAN trust F.T.C. with your dollars. Finally--as their global hdqts. is in Okla. City---I'd say that F.T.C. especially needs help n-o-w! Hmmm...wouldn't you agree? wink "Bailey-Bee" & Mr. Frith: let me thank b-o-t-h of you for your kind replies to these two or three E-mails!

Michael Shepherd

Acts 2: 5-12

Aluminum Cities' Service sign.jpg Cross' La. Oil Refining Co. (Cities Service) station, U.S. 11-43.jpg

ESP. collect molded/embossed "wall-signs" & all-plastic globes. Can supply graphic-design for your small business; or paint/sketch family portrait, favorite vehicle, Granddad's station or car/truck agency, &c. Also draw in Disney-esque draughtsmanship.
Oops! Downloaded wrong scan of my step-great-uncle's Cities' Service "cottage"! That is because I didn't know that Microsoft Outlook Express allows you to "Preview" any visual (or other) document before you "Open," and thus send into "Primarily Petroliana." At any event--if this attempt is successful!---you will see scanned composite of how Cross family's Eutaw, Ala. station m-a-y have looked in 1935-'41. I wrote "composite" because original watercolor is f-a-r too large for our Hewlitt-Packard. Had to photocopy one-fourth of giant sheet, instead. Had to t-h-e-n rotate paper clockwise (or counter-clockwise), and scan t-h-a-t corner. And had to do likewise, two more times. Then...had to cut-out e-a-c-h print of each "scan"...in such a way that e-d-g-e-s could glue or tape-together "seamlessly." tired (But of course...! crazy ) Anyway, I took all of those steps o-n-l-y for s-a-m-p-l-e picture. Color "prints" which cus-to-mers receive, are all copied in Tuscaloosa, or in Tupelo, or elsewhere out-of-town...di-rect-ly from large watercolor i-t-s-e-l-f. (Might want to visit www.feedthechildren.org ...also www.charitynavigator.org, plus Christian www.wallwatchers.org.)

Fortunately...nowadays, Eutaw & Greene County b-o-t-h have all-Negro city govt. & County Commission, respectively. Sadly---neither have translated into more fac-to-ries, small businesses, or em-ploy-ment for Greene Countians, I'm ashamed to admit. An annual, Spring pilgrimage of Eutaw's pre-Civil War houses...plus one factory...plus a Hardees, a truckstop, & a motel in-between Interstates 20/59 (to Meridian, Miss. & New Orleans)...plus: "I'm GO-in' to GREENE-track! Gonna HAVE Big FUN!...('cause) GREENE-Track Pays You Mohh-NEE!" (E flat/F sharp; rhythm of theme to Warners' "Nat'l. Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.") Eutaw (like Columbus, Miss.) lies on Delta of Tombigbee River, within Deep South/Black Belt. Thus (sigh), you can readily guess how white Greene Countians o-n-c-e amassed their wealth.... Although we live in Appalachian, N.W. Alabama (in much the same latitude & longitude as N.E. Ala's Dry Creek Swap-Meet)---come the day when I c-a-n afford a Master's from an Art Institute---just watch me LEAVE the entire Southeast!

Cross' Eutaw Cities Service; composite of printed, shrunken scans from my orig. watercolor.jpg

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
there is one on craigslist in Cinn. ohio for $650

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved