Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#413957 Fri May 03 2013 08:26 PM
C
CoryR Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The Happy Swede was a gas Station in Cotesfield, NE that I am currently Researching.

Practically ZERO information on the internet about such a place ever existing.

The reason I know it exists is because 1. I have two 30 X 60 Porcelain Firestone signs "The Happy Swede FIRESTONE tire Service" and 2. Because I've put some puzzle pieces together that tend to indicate it existed in Cotesfield NE.

Here is the small story of the breadcrumbs that I've looked into.

Emil and Minnie Lind are buried in the Cotesfield Cemetary. On their headstone it reads "Don't forget the Happy Swede". http://files.usgwarchives.net/ne/howard/cemeteries/cotesfield.txt Plot number 72 First.

I searched their Census records from the 1940's. Emil owned and operated a Garage and Minnie Ran the gas station. This listed in the actual documents.

Both Emil and Minnie were Born in the 1880's. Emil die in the 1950's and minnie died in the 1960's. (Unfortunately My mind can't remember the Exact Dates.)

Since the only info on this gas station having ever existed is in these Census reports, I've decided to locate Living family memebers to see what I can find out.

First, Vance Lind, emil and minnies son, helped turn the historical society of Howard County (County cotesfield is in) Into a corporation. I've recently put out feelers to this society to see what juicy info I can find out. But not getting an immediate response I reached out to a great great grandson of Emil and Minnie, to see if he had any Info.

AND HE DID. First question I asked him on the phone was "Have you ever heard of the Happy Swede" and he said definitively that yes it was a gas station owned by his great grandfather in cotesfield, NE. It was a brief conversation, and I'm still itching with questions, but He is going go get ahold of his Uncle and see about getting in contact with me.

I am personally looking to sell These two wonderful signs, but I feel with this such rich history I should give the family first dibs, and the historical society 2nd dibs.

When Alls Said and done, if they haven't choosen to buy these items, I will most certainly be putting them up on here or Ebay for Sell.

I've uploaded a Juicy Picture to wet your appetites. Both signs are beat up BUT hey.. They're Vintage, They are original, AND 1 of a Kind. smile ENJOY

Feel free to email me @ ceredding@hotmail.com if you have any questions on these signs

30" x 60" and about 1/16 of an inch (EST) Porcelain.

Picture0503131048_1.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
CoryR #413959 Fri May 03 2013 08:27 PM
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
Cool sign!

Notchcad #413960 Fri May 03 2013 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Notchcad
Cool sign!

& story.. cool

RANDY
advertologist #413961 Fri May 03 2013 08:38 PM
C
CoryR Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'll post more of the story As it comes in. Hopefully I can really sink my teeth into the Howard country historical society. Since Vance Lind was a member, and on their website it states that alot of stuff was donated by members.. I hope Vance Donated some of the "Happys Swedes" Information there.

http://www.historichc.us/aboutus/ Thought I'd post the site in case you curious buggers would like to see vance's name yourself.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved