Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#413618 Thu May 02 2013 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well it all started with a phone call from Warren Burch asking me some values on a few signs that he was going to try and buy. The conversation led to questions about what would happen to this small collection once he bought it and I was told that I could buy the collection if he ended up being the owner and we would know in a few days.
I got the call around Thursday last week and I hurridly gathered up supplies and "cash" for the long road trip I was about to take! It turned into a "multipurpose" trip with stops in Dickinson, ND and Butte, Mt to drop off some items for other Old Gassers.
I left on sunday morning and was in Dickinson at Jody Arthouds to drop off his Peotone buys and some signs that he had purchased from me. Playing delivery boy has a few benefits and I got to see Jodys new shop and car collection as we unloaded. From there it was on to Butte, Montana!
I arrived in Butte about 6pm and made my way to Tom Alexanders home where I was to meet up with Scott Taylor and drop off an original rebuilt Chevy 327 from a 1967 Super Sport! We got the transfer done and were treated to a detailed viewing of Toms Texaco collection! Holy Texaco overload! We saw some great and really rare stuff at Toms! It was early yet, so I was able to make it to Idaho Falls for the night!(1050 miles)
Up early and rolled into Swabbys place about noon and set right to work loading the collection into my truck so that we could relax a little!(1366 miles) After loading, we headed over to a good friend of Swabbys to view his outstanding collection of old cars, pumps and signs! It was almost like a museum with some really fancy old Model A Fords in top condition. Best part was that all the restoration work had been done by Swabby and his friend! These 2 are very talented men and had done some excellent restorations! From there it was back to Swabbys and hit the road for North Dakota. It was early enough that I was able to get clear back to Butte that night!
Up early again on Tuesday morning and headed for Dickinson again to view the rest of Jodys collection that I didn't have time for on sunday. I rolled up to Jodys about 4:30 in the afternoon and spent the next 2 hours looking and talking and laughing about all the experiences we've had over the last few years! I rolled out of Dickinson about 6pm and rolled into Devils Lake at 10:30 and instantly went to sleep! LOL (2740 miles)
It was a long drive that kept me motoring for 3 days straight but had some wonderful consequences. I saw some beautiful country that I had never seen before, I got to make face to face aquaintenances with people I had only known on the phone before, and the best part is that I made some really good friends in far away places!!! WHAT A TRIP!
I have to highly recommend taking the time to get out on the road and visit another Old Gasser and view his collection that he has struggled to put together! We can all look at pictures and that's great, but the experience of meeting these different people and getting to know them on a personal level is worth ALL the miles I traveled! There are some great people that frequent this forum and meeting some of them was the highlight of the year! I hope to meet many more of you over the years to come!
Heres a few pictures:
1--Typical highway view going thru the ND Badlands!
2--Kevin Frith--Tom Alexander--Scott Taylor (in Butte)
3--Loading some signs at Swabbys
4--Swabby at his friends shop (Swabby restored these pumps)
5--Better view of the front of the shop!

Idaho Trip 020.JPG Idaho Trip 010.JPG Idaho Trip 012.JPG Idaho Trip 016.JPG Idaho Trip 017.JPG

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K W FRITH #413627 Thu May 02 2013 07:53 AM
Online Cool
Wow! What a trip. 2740 in 3 days and still had time to see great stuff and meet people too. Way to go.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
K W FRITH #413628 Thu May 02 2013 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great pics,and sounds like even better time!i agree,it's always a great time meeting fellow oldgassers in person!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good story, good road trip.. cool

RANDY
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Again, Good story, great pictures, and excellent ending. Great time.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's a road trip!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
K W FRITH #413698 Thu May 02 2013 01:37 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great story; thanks for sharing! smile

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
1937 GMC #413709 Thu May 02 2013 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bet you were worn out! Good story and pictures.

I like SINCLAIR and old American made stuff ... No china items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Awesome story! That badlands picture is bad... Have to crank the diesel up and come your way Kevin. Never been there.

1 BAD ZR1 #413765 Thu May 02 2013 06:47 PM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Thanks for sharing, Kevin.

Always looking for Standard Oil of Indiana, or any globes!
Buddy Koehrn
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pick me up on the way rob!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Nice trip!Glad you made it back safe and thanks for sharing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was really nice to finally meet you and Tom in person. Thanks so much for bringing the motor with you. Glad you had a safe and fun, amazing trip. Looks like some very nice stuff. Toms stuff WOW texaco. Tom i will bring Mooses Pizza next time. Thanks again Kevin

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Those are some fine signs getting loaded up there!

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was great to meet everyone. Wow, do I need to lose weight or what??? Hey, Mr. Frith...I ran into the guy that has the White Eagle and he is willing to sell...now youhave ar eason to come back to Butte. Bring Texaco and go home with a White Eagle....

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved