Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is the 1938 Patent for the face;
http://www.google.com/patents?id=N1kCAAA...p;q&f=false

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
{'m not a big fan of restoring stuff like those face plates,but in this case I would make an exception.To me,those are just so unusual and cool that I would have them restored.Those things would REALLY set that pump apart IMO.It is your pump;just my thoughts.Best of luck.

rlsbee Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry, I haven't been around here for a while. Family issues have kept me busy and I didn't get to do much on the pump. I have gotten to do some work recently, so I thought I'd just post a pic of where I'm at. That's primer on it now. Still trying to figure out the final colors. I had to sand carefully to determine the original colors. The top was definitely black and the front was orange. The sides...ummm..
not so easy to tell. One side panel showed some white as the first paint but on the other I could find no white, just orange. It seemed to have been repainted three times. Once was a pea green on all panels, then red on all panels, finally the sides were painted a dark green.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Welcome!!!

Post pics of Super Bee please!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
rlsbee Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: SC62
Welcome!!!

Post pics of Super Bee please!!

My pleasure!

The pump is looking good! Love the face plate on those. Glad to see you chose Tydol. The Super Bee is looking good also. I like to see the post cars. Had a 69 Roadrunner 2dr post car years ago. Miss it a lot!

rlsbee Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: white flash fan
The pump is looking good! Love the face plate on those. Glad to see you chose Tydol. The Super Bee is looking good also. I like to see the post cars. Had a 69 Roadrunner 2dr post car years ago. Miss it a lot!

Thanks for the comments. Since the pump was made for Tydol, I just couldn't go with anything else. I'm still up in the air on the colors. The top will be black because that was definitely the original color. My choices for the front and sides are orange, red, red/white ( front red/sides white or front white/sides red) and the same combinations with orange and white. Not that it means anything but the top never got painted the pea green or red. It did get painted the dark green that was on the sides when I bought it.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
The car is stunning!!! Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: rlsbee
Sorry, I haven't been around here for a while. Family issues have kept me busy and I didn't get to do much on the pump. I have gotten to do some work recently, so I thought I'd just post a pic of where I'm at. That's primer on it now. Still trying to figure out the final colors. I had to sand carefully to determine the original colors. The top was definitely black and the front was orange. The sides...ummm..
not so easy to tell. One side panel showed some white as the first paint but on the other I could find no white, just orange. It seemed to have been repainted three times. Once was a pea green on all panels, then red on all panels, finally the sides were painted a dark green.

...check Jack Sim's book - seems to me that there is a company photo from when the pump was manufactured, that shows a custom Tidewater pump like yours, in color...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
rlsbee Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been looking for a copy of that book. I would love to see that picture. So far, I've found copies of the book priced from $150 - $250 and that's just a little pricey for me right now. Maybe I can find one somewhere a little more reasonably priced. I'm sure it's a very fine book.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved