Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
ok then, I use to own one. I bought it for $50 and I thought it was a reproduction. But it was real. I feel realy bad that I sold it for $20 now. What is a real one worth? Mine was in almost mint condition with a few chips. There was bleeding on the back, and the porcelain coating was on the back to. It was my first sign.

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gas sign guy
ok then, I use to own one. I bought it for $50 and I thought it was a reproduction. But it was real. I feel realy bad that I sold it for $20 now. What is a real one worth? Mine was in almost mint condition with a few chips. There was bleeding on the back, and the porcelain coating was on the back to. It was my first sign.

They were reproduced also.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
But mine had split grommets. does that mean anything?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Gas sign guy
But mine had split grommets. does that mean anything?

The one in the Book appears to be Tin like the one you said you had and from the Late 40's The one that has the indian facing the other direction and states it from the 40's appears to be porcelain.

But then again..even though it is pictured in that book does not make it right. There are lots of books out there..Bruners for one ..that have numerous fantasy signs pictured. Just my nickels worth.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Thanks!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Carl
But then again..even though it is pictured in that book does not make it right. There are lots of books out there..Bruners for one ..that have numerous fantasy signs pictured. Just my nickels worth.

You could defiantly be right, as there are a few signs in there that I think are questionable.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: JGD
I don't understand why people go through the trouble of making these. They spend $20, then a few hours bending it and making it look old then hoping they sell for $150. It would seem that time would be better spent getting an actual job.

...they're doing it because these bent signs are SELLING for $150, and more...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The forgers are going to get better and better. Wait and see. You can see differences in signs reproduced today and those reproduced 20 years ago.One has to be leery of any motorcycle signs...especially Harley and Indian. They are in such high demand and you did not have motorcycle dealers on every corner of every city like petroleum distributors.I am not saying that they are not out there, but they were not produced in the large quantities of petroleum signs. Stumbling upon one at an antique mall(assuming it is not just another fantasy piece)would be an event. Keep looking though...you never know what you might uncover.
Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
nextxgas,
Some sellers will state NO REFUNDS, PayPal see's it differently when signs are claimed to be old & are new/fantasy items.

IF you bought it on ebay, you probably paid w/ PayPal. File a complaint w/ PP & get a full refund Including postage/shipping. Fallow PP instructions.

IF enough signs are Returned to seller he will either state the truth or quit selling these POS signs.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
POS...Porcelain Original Stock ? lol Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Originally Posted By: nextxgas
didnt know that...so indian never made these signs? and they curved them too? well still cool piece..

Maybe you can hurry up and sell it to the guy you sold the fake Harley-Davidson sign to last month! grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved