Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Paid up for this really cool box. Do I tear it apart and sell an end or keep it whole to preserve history. I'm inclined to tear it apart.
ebay # 261198751630

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
nice box gregory!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...uh, leave it together...are you seriously asking? if the box was one good end and the rest, rotten, I'd say save the end and toss the rest...why ruin a nice piece in an effort to recoup $50...?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'd leave it, it's survived this long. Try to find the cans that go in it!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Keep intact and store things in it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What a really nice piece! I would be inclined to do as Greg! Preservation of the end pieces is the most important and if left as a box, it will stand a good chance of being destroyed over time. Boxes are tough display items and subject to damage from moving around and having items rub against them. In order to do justice to this wooden artifact, I would photograph it in its original state and then I would remove the adjoining boards and have the two end panels framed and kept under glass! The photos could be attached to the back of the two end panels. What a great wall hanging they would make! The display possibilities are endless if taken apart and very limited if left intact. This is one time that I think the value would be increased by removal of the attached boards! JM2C

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Kevin. Pretty much what I was thinking. I have no room or way to display the box effectively. If I sell the other end it will be for more than $50 as that doesn't touch what I paid. Maybe just take the good end off and stick the rest in my warehouse for future use. Can't wait to get it!

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I made a book case out of my common gargoyle box. With some effort I was able to use the original nails and wood side panels. Nice crate. Here are some pics of mine:

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dad has a couple old boxes sort of like yours. One was stirring on the floor and got wet. It now has a water mark/ stain to part of it. Keep yours dry or maybe a coat of varnish?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
If I sell the other end it will be for more than $50 as that doesn't touch what I paid.

...I didn't notice that you had the seller end the auction early - just saw the opening bid and no bids, and divided by two...

...as a collector, I wouldn't pay good money for a piece of a crate - especially if it was obviously recently disjointed - and I can't see a serious Esso collector like Sam McIntyre tearing a Stanavo crate up...

Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
This is one time that I think the value would be increased by removal of the attached boards!

...sorry Kevin, but I couldn't disagree more...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Fri Apr 12 2013 11:29 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I agree with Mark keep as is.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I would leave it as is, in it's original form as intended. I guess being involved with the local historical society, dealing with buildings and other historic artifacts, I've become more of a preservationist minded person and understand my role in taking care of things for the future generations. I realize it's just a wooden box, but after it's disassembled and possibly sold/split up, the integrity of the piece is lost, IMO.
I really like what 57tbirdkid did with his. All the pieces are there to reassemble in the future if need be.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't believe your even thinking of tearing it apart. You should've just let the auction run and let someone that appreciates what it is bid on it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I agree, leave it as is.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Leave it as is. It is a nice displayable piece.

You could make something cool out it but why destroy/de-face a piece a history. BUT that is MY OPINION, it is yours, do what you want and what makes you happy. If you cant enjoy it than it is pointless to have.

Dan

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved