Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#406772 Tue Apr 02 2013 01:08 PM
OP Offline
Hello,
I am new to this forum and just stumbled upon it a few days ago while researching some signs that I purchased along with a building full of other items. Anyways, the main reason that I'm here is to see if anyone can tell me a value for this particular Humble sign. As you can see its a dealer sign. It is double sided and right at 8'x 4'. The side you see is the worst side. There are a few rust spots as you can see from the pic. I don't know where to start, as I can't find info on the RED ones.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

photoedit.jpg
Last edited by Oldgas; Tue Apr 02 2013 02:54 PM. Reason: edit to conform with guidelines
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
OP Offline
Well I haven't found much more info about this sign. I have emailed pics to several people on the internet and the values range greatly. Most say they've never seen one quite like it. I've had offers from $250 on up to $1200.
Hopefully one of the experts on here can help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't know value but if I had a $1200 offer on it it would have a new owner sign is huge...

Got Socony???

Tom
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
I woulda sold it for 1200 as fast as it came out of their mouth. That's insane.

OP Offline
I have no problem selling it for $1200. I just don't want to leave any money on the table if its worth considerably more.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't give value estimates in dollars on here.Rather,I'll just give you a few things to think about.That red oval is by no means a common sign.Reference books by Wayne and Scott show that the sign is the early version of the oval;1933-1945.

If you cross reference that red oval with their red oval pump plate,1939-1945,and research it a bit I think you will find the pump plate was used in Texas and New Mexico only.So,by extension,that sign probably had a very limited range of early usage.

To a serious Humble collector,or a collector assembling signage of companies that eventually became Exxon,that one would be a hard one to find.It is your sign,value it as you wish,but now you know a little more about it.

OP Offline
Old Iron,
I really appreciate your response. Thats the kind of info that I was looking for. I have owned this sign since this past Saturday and I'm not looking for a quick buck on it. But, like you say, they are not common. I have a small time business, so even leaving a few hundred on the table is a big deal to me.
Thank you once again for replying.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
In my opinion, this is a 500-600 dollar sign! TOPS!
If you got a 1200 offer you better run with it! The rarity can NOT override the size on this piece...Its just too big with NO Graphics...
Your not leaving any money on the table at 1200, your getting more than its worth in my opinion.
Good Luck...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not trying to offend or correct anyone on here but in my current experience, big signs are NOT a pariah anymore.
They are the signs that are going to be originals and not repopped almost every time, when you go to look at them. If they are still intact and in decent condition, they were owned by someone who really liked them, just the size that they are, and generally their condition is better compared to all the smaller signs of similar age.
I had the no graphics 18 foot long Associated sign that the buyer got a good deal on when they bought it because that sign is worth about $1000 more than I sold it for, if not more, but I came down in price because of the backlash on here and I should've stayed at where I priced it at in the first place. That is a great thing for the person that got it tho and I know they really appreciate that sign and were looking for it in that size.
I now have the 12foot long Dutch Boy Paints sign that is breathtaking and a joy to look at because of the graphics, colors and size. The company tried to destroy these because of the whole Lead is posinous to humans thing and the company did not want to be associated with posining their customers, so it is a sign that I am thinking is actually "rare" (probably less than 15 complete copies left in the world) because of the very limited # of these that were not destroyed by the company or the store owners. My gut feeling is that sign is worth $7-10,000 but I am hoping that another person gets a good deal from me on a sign that they have been looking for and will really appreciate.
The market is changing and big signs are becomming loved and wanted again. People are putting these things in their houses in a showcase placement, like the fine works of art that I think they are. There are also a lot of empty walls in millions of shops and pole buildings around the country. I am also getting restaurants that buy the big signs too.
I have always loved them.
I think you have a good one there and it is a great size. Not to big Not to small.
Do a lot of research, find as many comparables as you can and go with your gut as to what to price it at and if your wrong or way to far off, then you can go down in price and come to great agreement when you have a serious buyer in front of you or on line from here or somewhere else.

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe; Wed Apr 03 2013 04:04 PM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
You do make a good point there,and I do love the Dutchboy sign you have.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I like you Man-Cave you tell it how you see it. Bigger signs are going to be going up in value the more they repop these little signs IMO. If your a new collector and you want the real thing, Go Big or Go Home! If not you can be like me and post on the value forum and never get answers from anyone. I guess you got to me "in" with the crowd on this forum to get answers..... or new of course.

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Originally Posted By: Perdue31
I like you Man-Cave you tell it how you see it. Bigger signs are going to be going up in value the more they repop these little signs IMO. If your a new collector and you want the real thing, Go Big or Go Home! If not you can be like me and post on the value forum and never get answers from anyone. I guess you got to me "in" with the crowd on this forum to get answers..... or new of course.

Don' t let it get you down, don't get answers on alot of mine either,but do get pm's hoping to get a steal.As been said kinda got to go with your gut feeling until provided otherwise.

Last edited by Tbirdgas; Wed Apr 03 2013 05:14 PM.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Thanks Tbird! I do get those Pm's as well!

Always looking for Mint oil cans. Esp Aviation and Outboard Oil Cans and pumps. Looking fot Cheerwine signs!
OP Offline
Thanks guys and maybe gals. I am going to research it the best I can. I don't need to sell it right now and I know everyone has a different opinion on signs so I'm going to hold on to it for now.
I appreciate the comments and interest.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's ONE of the reasons that I chime in every once in awhile, or maybe it's too often but... wink
I know that everyone on here has had different experiences in this hobby up to the present and I've come into it at a completely different time than what it was like even 5 years ago but in some ways I have had some part of this hobby since I was 7 or 8 and my other experiences in different hobbys and jobs also lend to my current experiences in this current amazing path that I have chosen to walk.
Everyone above just told it like they see it and that is GREAT!
....but the telling it low and then sending a pm to see if they want to sell it to you seems SNAKEY to me and it has happened to me before and I won't do that to someone else, so if I think I can add something intelligent to the thread that will possibly help someone out, I chime in either on the thread or by pm. I come across enough stuff around me and most of the time I can't even afford the stuff that falls into my lap much less try to grab items from people on here. I also get genuine enjoyment from hearing all the different experiences that people in this hobby have that they decide to share with us on here so in a small way it's like I'm 'buying' everything I see on here.
The experiences that anyone shares on here and the thoughts of the value that they have ARE VALID and are just as important as any others thoughts that they share on the same thread and
IN MY OPINION
no one that shares any genuine opinion as to the value that is bieng asked for, is wrong, it's just a different 'set of eyes' or another experienced members opinion.
I would hate for someone to loose money because of what I said and I also don't want someone to be out there hanging, for a long time, on to something that I said was worth too much. I just tell my opinion and I really leave it up to the person to figure out for themselves what they think because ya know what the old saying is,
Opinions are like ........, everyone has one and they ALL stink!
Thanx to all for the compliments and thanx to all the brave souls for sharing your vast expanse of experience and knowledge with us on this site and in these value threads. This site and it's members kick a$&!!

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe; Wed Apr 03 2013 05:54 PM.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved