Print Thread
#406077 Sun Mar 31 2013 05:00 AM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I recently bought a G&B visible pump with that nice rusty aged appearance with a perfect blue cylinder. At some point someone used tin snips and cut off the globe holder for some reason. The guy I got it from had a replacement top with the globe holder for it, but it was nice shiny metal. I wanted to leave the pump as it is as I like the original weathered finish. I took off the old top and checked the fit of the new top, but couldn't stand the shiny metal top.

I had heard of people using muriatic acid to create a rusty look, but don't like using caustic chemicals. I used 1 pint hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 2 tablespoons table salt and mixed together. Then put into the spray bottle. It's amazing... the minute you start spraying the unfinished metal, it immediately starts creating a rusty patina. I let it sit for about 40 minutes and applied another spray to it. Waited another 30 minutes or so and did it again. Once I got the appearance I was looking for, I poured Hydrogen Peroxide over the whole thing to neutralize the acid and stop it from rusting any further. Then rinsed off good with a hose and let it air dry. I was trying to get to the same rust color as the pump. Here are the results.

P.S. Do NOT pour any remaining solution down your sink.

The final picture is with the new "aged" top.

Mac

TOP1.jpg TOP2.jpg TOP3.jpg DONE.jpg
Last edited by Mac; Sun Mar 31 2013 05:18 AM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Mac #406078 Sun Mar 31 2013 05:03 AM
M
Mac Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Now I need to figure out an easy way to get into the cylinder to clean out the mice nests and clean up the glass. If anyone has any tricks/tips to do that, please feel free to share.

Thanks
Mac

Mac #406089 Sun Mar 31 2013 06:18 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Looks good for that distressed rusty look

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There s a nice rusty original one on ebay the seller is nebraska_nut Its listed under Gilbert and Barker Visible.... This might match what you have for patina for the rest of the pump

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
Originally Posted By: landscaper
There s a nice rusty original one on ebay the seller is nebraska_nut Its listed under Gilbert and Barker Visible.... This might match what you have for patina for the rest of the pump

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111039671224

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved