Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
There is one possibility on the Pennzoil sign. Iv'e seen early signs that had brown bells and were round. Could it be that this sign is some kind of very early version of the oval? If so this would really be a GREAT find. But it would have to be proven if you wanted to value it as such. But even the older round ones don't have this "O" and the "P" is also alwasy more squared off.
Just a thought.

Can you confirm that it is surely porcelain?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
OP Offline
I did a google search on images and did find several with the round "o" but they were rectangular signs. The moment I get home I will verify if porcelain or painted. Thanks for your help.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it is the one I'm thinking it is, Your sprinkler is worth what you paid for the pump and maybe more! Those are soooo cool and a lot of other people think so too.
Something is hitting in my memory of a picture of a very old gas station that had a main sign with something similar to your Penzoil sign sticking off to the side of the main sign for that station. I seem to remember it kind of going out into the street, but up high enough to not be in the way, in the pic. I don't remember if it was in that 9 minute U tube vid, http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=404483&#Post404483
or in some of the MANY other pictures of old stations that I have been looking at lately. If I find it again I will post.
Thats all very cool and you should post pics of everything if you get the chance and are willing. Thanx for sharing the story!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
OP Offline
I'll look through that link. Thanks. GREAT NEWS--This sign is definitely, 100% porcelain!

OP Offline
I believe this is one of the first Pennzoil signs from 1925. I found this add and look at the bucket. I think it was a lollipop stand sign and the side brace and long bar were added on. See link: http://www.amazon.com/Across-America-Pennzoil-Automobile-Linton/dp/B005HLKKYS
You'll have to copy and paste.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: timeandabottle
I believe this is one of the first Pennzoil signs from 1925. I found this add and look at the bucket. I think it was a lollipop stand sign and the side brace and long bar were added on. See link: http://www.amazon.com/Across-America-Pennzoil-Automobile-Linton/dp/B005HLKKYS
You'll have to copy and paste.

I'm sorry to disagree Scott, but this add isn't doing it for me. Both the bucket and the main logo in the bottom right corner have the squared off P and O in my opinion.

Also I knew there was something else about this sign that was making it look different to my eye than others. The bell is not broken at the letters at all. You will see people refer to "full bell" or "not full bell". On stuff newer than early 60's the bell will be completely gone as it passed through the letters. And on stuff older than that time, the bell will pass through the letters but be broken. On this sign the letters and bell are completely solid. Hmm....????

Last edited by SC62; Tue Mar 26 2013 06:54 AM.

Steve Coppens
OP Offline
Summary: Definately a porcelain sign. Rounded P and O like the old rectangular signs. Lollipop stand customized to be a wall hanger. Hanger is riveted together. Entire sign was painted on both sides with the business: SPENCER AND CO. ASSAYERS. The side you see has some remnants of this remaining, the reverse side still has this logo but through flaked areas of paint the Pennzoil is beneath. I will post some pics showing the above now. Any help in authenticating this would be appreciated immensely.

SpencerAssayers.JPG
Reverse of sign

OP Offline
porcelain pothole

Porcelain Hole.JPG
porcelain pothole

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You did good, No need to stress about your sign, it is an original, don't know why there is any question about it.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
OP Offline
Close up of the bell. Everything about this sign says "old" and I wonder if this was a very short run logo?

BellCloseUp.JPG
Bell Close Up

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
You did good, No need to stress about your sign, it is an original, don't know why there is any question about it.

For me it's only about trying to date it. I have been trying to date my own and this one throws an interesting wrench into the puzzle. I don't believe we can ever nail it down to a specific year but it's interesting to paint a story. And this sign showed up with so many interesting features for one of these type signs.

Steve Coppens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That close up has beautiful, amazing corners and definition! What a great sign and with that wording that was painted over it, I would start doing ad research on ebay going back to the early teens! IT HAS OLD STANK ALL OVER IT!! in my opinion,,, ha ha
It will also be easy to clean the paint off and clean it up but try to do the clean up with the sign still in the bracket to not pop any porcelain because it looks like it hardly has any porcelain loss.
It's a BEAUT!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
OP Offline
Man-Cave I found something out of great interest. The sign came from an old mining town in Colorado called Cripple Creek. It turns out a man named Spencer Penrose practically founded that mining district as well as the Kennecott Copper Mine in Salt Lake City. He founded the Pikes Peak road race as well among other numerous things. They even give a trophy to the NCAA Hockey Coach Of The Year called the Spencer Penrose Award. He was also into assaying early in his career. If I can find a picture showing this sign that would be awesome! My gut says it is linked to him and I'll never remove the paint from the opposite side. It's pretty darn cool also!

OP Offline
$20 reward to anyone who can link the sign to a photo from Cripple Creek Colorado!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I grew up in North Denver/Westminster and Cripple Creek was always a fun stop while driving through the mountains. I miss my mountains and my home state!
I've got to hit a good research source to find out more about my G&J Tires sign and it's possible connection to Indy Motor Speedway. I'm probably going to either get into pics at National Library but I'm thinking of getting a hold of the historical society or dept. for IMS.
Yours should be relatively easy if your able to find historical pics of Cripple Creek and of Mr. Penrose. There should be quite a few pics for you to look through with how popular that town was during the late 1800s and 1900s.
Good luck and keep diggin for gold!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved