Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Signs&Neons #400186 Sun Mar 10 2013 06:12 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I too quit posting my rare items because of the image ending up on ebay as a magnet, repo oil can or sign. I will try to watermark my pics also...
As for getting mad about writing a book and then someone using those picture??? I purchased the book and if I wanna print out a pic or use a pic out of it then I will. Its mine!
Total different story to steal images!
Too bad oldgas cant lock the images and keep people from downloading or saving the images to disc?
I keep my photobucket private so noone can steal them.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez

I keep my photobucket private so noone can steal them.

since the new version of photobucket, private albums are open to public since they have many problems with the new version...

Nucky #400225 Sun Mar 10 2013 08:15 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
How can you put water marks on your images? I never have attempted to do this so it is new to me.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #400245 Sun Mar 10 2013 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Once an image/picture is posted on the internet there is NO WAY of stopping it from being copied. JP can disable the right click for Save This Image, but anyone w/ a camera can photograph their monitor screen. Using a Water Mark just takes time to remove in Photo Shop [or some other program]. Posting a picture out of Focus takes longer to cleanup the image same as posting an image at an angle. Most copiers need to just see the General layout of the image/sign/globe/etc.
VERY FEW have the resources to pursue a legal battle to protect an image that was posted. Coke, Harley, Ford, Chevy, etc. have ALL gone after the larger manufactures of Image Infringement, but will Never be able stop the backyard/alley cats.

At the recent gas show I was at, an Oldgas member that Despises ME [LOL] Couldn't resist taking a picture of my recent pump purchase when I was away from selling spot!

Dick Bennett #400757 Tue Mar 12 2013 12:40 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dick is right about the legal aspect. You would go broke countless times over trying to go after photo infringement.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like the bad boys are winning......people are starting to stop posting images, withdrawing to their little world and participating less overall with those of us playing by the rules and hoping for some help. That's a shame. The world is what it is. I for one refuse to let them keep me from enjoying my hobby and participating. I spent a lot of time on my little guide to light tins and shared it with everyone with very little appreciation. But I ENJOYED doing it and truely believe I helped someone along the way. Yes there are collections with trophy pieces or collections of absolute size and grandure to appreciate but I'd say the majority of us are much more modest in our aquisitions. I'd share the most common item in my small collection if I'd thought it would help someone else out. I'm not criticizing anyone or taking sides, just trying to get people to think about WHY they collect.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tomzcollectiblez
As for getting mad about writing a book and then someone using those picture??? I purchased the book and if I wanna print out a pic or use a pic out of it then I will. Its mine!

...actually Tom, that's not at all true...most (if not all) books have legal in the front that affirms copyright of the contents, and prohibits the reuse of material from the book without written permission from the publisher...

...if they didn't, then anyone could copy any book and sell it as their own...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #400845 Tue Mar 12 2013 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
100% true.

Cold Pizza #401029 Tue Mar 12 2013 07:46 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
If you post it on the internet, or have it in public view, anyone can use it or take a picture of it because its in the public domain. This includes pictures of yourself in public view (even in your own yard) unless used for commercial purposes. If you have it copyrighted,or trademarked, you do have legal recourse, but as others have pointed out, its rarely worth the bother. They are very difficult cases to prove and unless the offender has made a LOT of money using your image, no lawyer will take the case.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #401895 Sat Mar 16 2013 02:33 AM
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
The very same thing happens with music and movie posters. Some people never buy a DVD movie or audio CD. They just make a copy from a friend or take it from the internet.
Many movie poster collectors including meyself have had images of very rare posters stolen and used to make magnets, coffee mugs, t-shirts and smaller size posters. Many of these items are being sold on ebay.

hri_2008 #401966 Sat Mar 16 2013 12:53 PM
Posts have been removed from this topic that involve old grudges.

Topic locked.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved