Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Heya to all in OLDGAS land!!
I've had this question in my head since posting about my first visible and the 1st 3 responders saying that it was a repop.
I've tried to do some research and found the page on here that lists companys that repop pumps. Some of the links still work some don't but that is the only thing that I could find besides individual posts.
I have noticed that the quality companys are doing exact copies in cast alum. for the savings of weight but I'm sure that there have been some that have done repop castings in iron to try to make money.
My question is has anyone gathered up a comprehensive list of the known repoped pumps and parts so that we can all better identify fakes or fantasy items?
If not, I will start that project on here.
I know there are many intricasies to every pump for every manufacturer and I think it would help everyone in the hobby to be able to refrence those differences on THIS AMAZING SITE!! Jacks books are very helpful for that also but it would be nice to have even more experts lend their knowledge and in person experiences on here in one place.
Thanx to all that take the time to post and share!!

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is a pump in a collection that is a repop. The person has a few pumps that he has restored and he knew this one was a repop when working on it. He said the metal was substandard grade and the fit and finish was completly wrong and he said it all had to be reworked to make it look this good, and he has a body shop to make it happen.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've been doing gaspump restorations for over twenty years and have learned, very early on, how to determine reproductions from originals. It is extreemly easy and I think that a list would be of little use. Experience is always the best teacher. Just my two cents....but good luck with your project. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gasmansgp
I've been doing gaspump restorations for over twenty years and have learned, very early on, how to determine reproductions from originals. It is extreemly easy and I think that a list would be of little use. Experience is always the best teacher. Just my two cents....but good luck with your project. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

I Agree 100% w/ Paul.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I also think that, at the moment, most of these are easy to spot and to go with my gut feelings but as technology advances, and because the prices are going up, the market is getting prime for sophistocated reproductions to be produced and I think that if we have a way to try to stay on top of them, everybody in this hobby would benefit.
I also was thinking of this because of a few end reasons.
1. so that there is a refrence, in one place, for people to look up the fake pumps to compare and confirm.
2. it would provide a refrence of companies that produce repop parts so that a person restoring a pump would have another tool at their fingertips for getting things done right.
3. I want to be able to 'give back' and make a positive difference to the hobby and this is the first way that came to mind. It might not be the best idea but it would'nt hurt at least and I can abandon this thread if it turns out to not be the best idea.

Last edited by Man-Cave-Shoppe; Sat Mar 02 2013 06:29 PM.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I agree with everyone except ManCave. We all went to shows, got experience just from looking at pumps, compared them to pics in my books.
I don't think making a list is even worth the time as I can only name one company that made repro pumps, and they were all copies of American pumps and I don't think they even bother to make them anymore.
Making a repro pump is not as easy as making or buying repro signs made in South America or India.
I have owned over 200 gas pumps and never purchased a repro.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
I've only been in this hobby seriously for 2 years and I can honestly say with no harm meant that anyone who truly loves pumps would never mistake a repop pump for a real one. There is just no way to mistake em. It shouldn't even be something that has to be thought about.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To save Oldgas web space, list all the Repop stuff/pumps on YOUR Web page.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D

Jack - FYI - Gas Pump Heaven is advertising repoped American AND Wayne visibles as well a few clock faces and electrics. I also see repoped Erie 129b's all the time on ebay.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanx for everyones input, it is why I posted this and I am very happy that you all have lent your knowledge to this so far. I take no offence to your honest input!

Here are my thoughts about why I think this might start to become a issue and it is my thought to stay on top of these things by bieng proactive and starting a discussion with the great people/minds of the hobby and I believe they are mostly on this site.
I do also realize that it could be a moot point or it might be a little too soon but I really think that if we are not prepared for this possibility the hobby will suffer greatly if/when it happens.

My thoughts or Reasons:

-The guys/gals that have been around this hobby since B4 it started to be a hobby, saw most of these pumps working at stations. They have felt them pumping gas into their cars tank and heard the noises and saw the things that the pump would do while dispensing gas.
I have never pumped gas from a pump that had a sight glass or even one with a globe on top. I have never even seen one of these working on a farm, yet. I am 42 and there is a much younger crowd than me that is getting into this hobby.
I don't think I would fall for a repop because of my experience with classic cars and because of all of the collections I have had the luck to be able to have seen but I also have seen recent high quality reproductions of classic muscle cars by companies like Dynacorn and it makes me realize that it is very possible to reproduce pumps cheaply. People younger than me do not have the experience with old metals to draw on, so, how do they protect themselves and in turn would that also not protect and preserve the hobby in the future? Or is originality overrated?

-I have seen more than a few auctions lately, in person and online and at the known automobilia auctions, the nicely redone Visible gas pumps and the original display case pumps, are bringing $20K and much more for double visibles and others. I belive that we will soon see a Roman or Greek Colum pump go for $100K+ if it has not happened already and I missed it. That kind of money on a consistent basis is going to encourage fakes to be made because the money is worth it even at the low end to 'them'.

-Technology is jumping in leaps and it is possible to get a printer that makes 3D objects from any thought in a persons mind that they plug into the computer and the CAD programs now are mind boggling and relatively cheap to set up.
The original metals might be easy to reproduce for casting but that is something that I don't know too much about but I figure that original metals are 'primitive' and should be easy to reproduce in todays age.

These are all just things that have gone through my head because of many recent events I have witnessed and others that I've seen the results of.
I mean no offence to any person on here and I think that quality repops are a very good thing for any hobby as long as they are clearly identified as such, so, I hold no distain for stand up repop companies.

For Jack and all, here is the link to the page on here that lists companies that make reproduction pumps. http://www.oldgas.com/search/Vendors_New_or_Reproduction_Reproduction_Pumps.html

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe

-I have seen more than a few auctions lately, in person and online and at the known automobilia auctions, the nicely redone Visible gas pumps and the original display case pumps, are bringing $20K and much more for double visibles and others. I belive that we will soon see a Roman or Greek Colum pump go for $100K+ if it has not happened already and I missed it. That kind of money on a consistent basis is going to encourage fakes to be made because the money is worth it even at the low end to 'them'.

I'll be glad to welcome the future and take 100K for my roman now, cash only please

Online Cool
It is always a good practice to become familiar with current and past products of those selling repro items in your field of collecting. Get catalogs and print Web pages for reference. In a few years, someone will artificially age these new items and come up with a story about grandpa's garage.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Why don't you guys give us some tips on how to spot a phony pump and I'll give you the credit and a free subscription or whatever and run it in the next issue of Petroleum Collectibles Monthly Magazine? I do not restore pumps myself and do not claim to be a gas pump expert though I could probably spot one. But any tips would help over 1500 readers and others out there! Thanks, Scott 440-355-6608 9-8 EST.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I may be opening a can of worms that should not be opened,but I do think it should be considered in this discussion.When is a pump a repop and when is it not? With all the pop parts available on,for instance Tok 36B's and Wayne 60"s,many of the pumps we work onare basically the frame.In some cases,virtually everything you can see in a reproduction part.

I guess those pumps are not considered repops because at least they started out life as the real thing,but in some cases that can be a REALLY fine line to draw IMO.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanx so much Scott for putting that out there for someone who has a lot of experience with pumps!!!!

OI- That question is VERY relevant to this discussion and thanx for stating that.
My opinion is
that to me it goes along the same giudelines as you would for restoring a classic vehicle and I will use a personal example involving a 1970 Mustang Sportsroof.
If a person has a vehicle like a original 1970 Mustang Mach 1 with a 428 CJ and they go to restore it then any part they put on, unless nos, is a reproduction but that does not make the car a repop. It is still a original.
It is only a 'pure' original if they only use NOS parts on it.
If the car is so far gone that they have to use another body and graph on the #s, then they should state that they did that and state what the #s were on the user car. If they use another original like model car, then that is mostly original but not a repop and might be termed a resto-mod.
If they graph the #'s and main parts onto a body like a Dynacorn then to me that is a repop with OEM parts.
If they only use a Dynacorn core and use all aftermarket parts, then that is a 'pure' repop.

Gas Pumps are different tho and there are many that are reproducing the tags so I believe any model could be faked on the tag at least.

Again this is only my opinion

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved