Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#396782 Sat Feb 23 2013 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
hi gang, i know prices of gas and oil things have gone up , but doesnt it seem like its going out of control lately? it being good for us that own these types of things of course. just an observation on my part. what does everybody else think?

collecting standard oil items
Tim Flannery
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
dodgeman60 #396789 Sat Feb 23 2013 07:39 PM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I think the high prices are due to supply and demand...many buyers out there but few quality pieces on the open market jm2c

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
dodgeman60 #396792 Sat Feb 23 2013 07:47 PM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Yes I think its referred to as steping up to the plate now.
Seems like there is no limit as far as asking price. As long as buyers keep steping where will prices stop. With the internet and the know how to search items sales are a big factor in pricing.So many are in the mix with only one thing in mind ,turning the profit and banking it in the next item.
JM2C.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
57tbirdkid #396793 Sat Feb 23 2013 07:48 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
It seams that ebay & local auctions are where things are going out of control. You can almost get a better deal at a show or swap meet.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #396802 Sat Feb 23 2013 08:40 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I feel bad for new collectors trying to get into the hobby at this time that have a geniune interest in preserving history, more than just flipping stuff to make a buck. I got into this hobby just 6 years ago and in the last 6 months to a year I have seen things going higher and higher, some rediculously high! I've mentioned to Dan McGuffey that I'm almost getting priced out of the hobby anymore. Mobil pump plates I paid $85 for a couple years ago sell every day for $250+...blue Lubrite cans I paid $30 for are now $80. It's certainly good if you're the seller, but like Loyd said if you really want something bad these days as a buyer you have to step it up, and a lot of the time I can't justify the prices anymore, especially if you've been in the hobby "pre-Pickers"! High prices aren't just being paid for quality items, junk is getting just as expensive.
It would be nice if prices stay up like this and my items really have appreciated many fold, but I have a tough time believing this isn't a frenzied peak that in a few short years will come back to reality. If prices stay high, I just won't be able to add as many decent items as I used to and will enjoy the stuff I bought years ago at bargain basement prices! smile
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #396803 Sat Feb 23 2013 08:46 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
ya i know gas pumps are getting outrages every where i try to find a pump they want double the book price

Sarcasm Is Just One More Free Service I Offer !
gasoildude #396804 Sat Feb 23 2013 08:47 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The problem I see is that I have gone to shows and swap meets but haven't found what I was looking for. I have seen more on eBay and in auctions. I look at it like this...the diesel and time I take off to go to a show cost me something. Yes, I might pay more on eBay or at an auction but don't get me wrong, I love going to shows and meeting people but I can't get the items I want if they are not there. I went to Iowa looking for two companies and only found a match book. I still had a blast but was dissappointed.

cig31 #396805 Sat Feb 23 2013 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cig31 I feel you for sure. I go looking for those harder to find items and the shows are suppose to have the "best of the best" and i have better luck shooting fish in a barrel. If it wasn't for this site i wouldn't be able to get a decent collection. Prices are higher but that isn't stopping me from buying. Just slowing me down a tad like Darin mentioned.

Quart and Liter can relidding and dent removal services.PM for detail and pricing.
Collecting Mobil and other graphic quart cans.
mcguffeyd1 #396820 Sat Feb 23 2013 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think what as happened recently with prices is due to several factors that have all came to pass at the same time. One thing you have to remember is that the very nature of collectables contributes to their appreciation. They aren't making any more Neptune L-1 or Wayne 80 pumps or Parco gas globes. If only a few people want these items, their value is going to be what the person that wants them the most would give for them. But, if there are 500 people who want them, there is bound to be two or three folks that will give much more than the rest so their value escalates exponentially. Enter venues like EBay and the vast exposure that the Internet gives and this whole thing grows faster than ever thought possible. Add the fact that more and more people who have money to invest are now fed up with the stock market, real estate, and low interest on cash and now you have an influx of money into a collectors market that used to be our "hobby". Will it peak at some point and fall back to what it once was? I don't think so. It will fluctuate, sure. But this hobby is fast becoming a business investment for a lot of people with more than enough money to keep the prices rising for a long time. You can still make good buys and there will always be deals out there, but you will have to be on your toes if you want to be the guy that gets first fruits. To me, it makes it sweeter to find a real buy on a piece that you know is really going to hold its value, let alone appreciate. Now more than ever patience is a virtue that will reward you if you can hold out for that special piece you've always wanted until it comes along at a good price, or even comes along at all.......

Rabbitman #396822 Sat Feb 23 2013 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been in the Hobby, for "just a bit"....

It is my experience, that prices go up and down, just like every Collectable.... Approx 6 years ago, this same conversation was being discussed on Oldgas... Prices seemingly, were going into the Stratosphere...

A few years after that, the conversation was just the opposite. Prices were dropping drastically, according to those looking to sell their items...

When I started in the Hobby. Oil Company's and Independent Station owners actually paid us to remove items and to "tear-down" stations....

So now, if I have to pay for an item... Based on when I started back in the early 60s; Prices are high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.............

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #396843 Sun Feb 24 2013 07:28 AM
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Can't believe what visi are going for!!

Rabbitman #396845 Sun Feb 24 2013 07:42 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I think rabbitman nailed it

Rabbitman #396853 Sun Feb 24 2013 08:11 AM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
You have many valid points...but there are still a ton of people making money in real estate and the stock market. Most people who lost money dont know what to invest in or have other people playing with their money. With any investment you have to be educated and play the market correctly...knowing when to buy and sell is key to your success. Same thing goes with this hobby...whats the item to invest in? Signs, cans, ect.... I personally do not look at this hobby as an investment. This is a niche market and just because it has been on an upswing for a while does not mean it cannot turn the other way. Young collecters will be priced out of the hobby and only the very wealthy will have these masive collectons.....unless they are passed on. I like the history preservation part of this hobby, but everyday it is Getting much harder to find items at what I consider to be fair prices. But those who consider these items as an investment....who will want this stuff, what will they want to pay, and who will be able to afford the prices you paid?

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
57tbirdkid #396854 Sun Feb 24 2013 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thought prices were crazy back when i started collecting big time in the mid 80's. Today i still have the same thoughts.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
ALSS72 #396855 Sun Feb 24 2013 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: ALSS72
I think rabbitman nailed it

X2

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard