Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Cleaned up pretty good. Still has great gloss and colors are vibrant. No touch ups, no resto, no clear coat on this one. Just nice original "patina"! Love these old heavy porcelains. I think this one may have to go on the wall.

Before:

After:

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looks great!

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a little cleaning- what a difference- cool.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice job on the cleanup! I've never been able to figure out why people don't do some clean-up before trying to market this stuff. Sure makes it better for the knowledgable buyer though!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks Great! Curious as to what you used for cleaning?

Daryl
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Wow! What a difference!! Looks great!! Yes, please tell us your process!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
First, this is a porcelain sign so this process works well for me. I would never do this with painted steel or tin. I knew this would clean up well just by looking at it. The colors were still bright and the surface was not oxidized or faded.

It was very dirty. The back side looked like it was just sitting in dirt.

Started off by washing with hot soapy water (Dawn) to get surface dirt off.

Then used hot soapy water, Bartenders Friend, and a Scotch Blue Sponge/Scrubby. Went over the entire sign with the scrubby getting rid of stains and rust. Use the Bartender's Friend pretty liberally and keep rinsing out the sponge. I changed the water quite a bit as it got dirty.

After that wet sanded with 800 grit wet/dry automotive sand paper and hot soapy water. That cleaned up the fine rust stains and grime. Really works well along edges and grommets. Keep the sign soapy and fairly wet.

Then wet sanded with 1000 grit paper and hot soapy water.

Polished with a blue pad and varible speed drill. I use Norton Liquid Ice one step polish. Awesome stuff. Then hand buffed with a towel. Then final polish with a fine pad. I get this at a automotive paint supply store that carries Norton products. I use it on everything. I have mini pads with a velcro backing. About 3 inch diameter. Again, these are available at a automotive supply store.

Final wax with Meguiar's Gold Class wax, and your porcelain feels smooth as glass.

I did it on the kitchen counter, had towels underneath it and was close to the sink (the wife don't care). Once set up it took about an hour to get these results.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd bet that she thought it would be better if you spent 1 hr at sink washing the dishes, pots & pans Instead of that old sign!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Nah, I do it anyway!!!

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Night & day difference smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
looks great

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: 59fairlane
First, this is a porcelain sign so this process works well for me. I would never do this with painted steel or tin. I knew this would clean up well just by looking at it. The colors were still bright and the surface was not oxidized or faded.

It was very dirty. The back side looked like it was just sitting in dirt.

Started off by washing with hot soapy water (Dawn) to get surface dirt off.

Then used hot soapy water, Bartenders Friend, and a Scotch Blue Sponge/Scrubby. Went over the entire sign with the scrubby getting rid of stains and rust. Use the Bartender's Friend pretty liberally and keep rinsing out the sponge. I changed the water quite a bit as it got dirty.

After that wet sanded with 800 grit wet/dry automotive sand paper and hot soapy water. That cleaned up the fine rust stains and grime. Really works well along edges and grommets. Keep the sign soapy and fairly wet.

Then wet sanded with 1000 grit paper and hot soapy water.

Polished with a blue pad and varible speed drill. I use Norton Liquid Ice one step polish. Awesome stuff. Then hand buffed with a towel. Then final polish with a fine pad. I get this at a automotive paint supply store that carries Norton products. I use it on everything. I have mini pads with a velcro backing. About 3 inch diameter. Again, these are available at a automotive supply store.

Final wax with Meguiar's Gold Class wax, and your porcelain feels smooth as glass.

I did it on the kitchen counter, had towels underneath it and was close to the sink (the wife don't care). Once set up it took about an hour to get these results.

All that work in an hour. WOW.

Mike
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Only one hard to find product you used to clean it that wasn't mentioned...elbow grease! Nice sign!!!

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for all the compliments. Yup, forgot elbow grease; but yeah it was about an hour, give or take.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved