Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#387499 Sun Jan 20 2013 10:01 PM
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P

The small kerosene lamp on the left above was made by Socony and is known as a "MEI FOO" lamp. I recently acquired the glass plate on the right which was issued by Mobil in 1966 to commemorate the company's 100th anniversary. In addition to depicting the lamp on the front, on the back is a detailed history of the kerosene trade Socony had with China.

Although you can't read the details from this picture, the information states:

1) Socony became the 1st western oil company in China in 1891
2) The chinese characters "MEI FOO" mean "beautiful, trustworthy" and became Socony's brand name in China
3) In 1906 Socony began importing these lamps to increase kerosene sales
4) The lamps came in 2 sizes, "senior" and "junior", and it became a status symbol to own one. (mine's a junior)
5) In order to keep up with demand, Socony started their own glass chimney manufacturing plant in China.

Unless you happen to know this story, the value of this plain little lamp with chinese letters is probably not very much. However, the lamp and the plate together not only date the lamp (early 1900's), but also imply the historical importance of lamp and the kerosene trade with China. If it wasn't important, why would Mobil feature the story as part of their 100 year celebration?

When it comes time to sell my collection, these 2 items will be one lot....in hopes that the story will live on.

Richard

Last edited by Pegasus; Sun Jan 20 2013 10:02 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Pegasus #387510 Mon Jan 21 2013 12:39 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

dalin #387710 Mon Jan 21 2013 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's always much more rewarding to own complimenting pieces. The challenge is in knowing the history behind them to link them in the first place.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Back before things had gone through so many hands, stories were easier to come by and gave each item acquired just a little more meaning-to me anyhow. Even though I like NOS, very nice signs, I really treasure my "beat up" ones as they've had a life.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your loved ones will really appreciate stories, written down, and discretly tucked into those items with stories--something I'm trying to get my mom to do with things we might inherit. Not only will the stories help them understand the item, but they will hold and treasure the description you wrote about the thing you cared for, or just plain thought was cool!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved