Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
hey dick,see ya. just lost another member. are you happy now. i am tired of your snide remarks since i signed on this sight.again you guys are a bunch of girls.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was hoping that we wouldn't "fall into the same old routine".. So please, give us(me) honest feedback... Without conflict if possible....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Dick, I offered my $.02. If you think I overvalued it, feel free to just take $.01!

Maybe I should have asked for input from the "Values" forum first!

Oldgas is a great site with great people on it! It's great that it's huge but due to the limited search engine it's impossible to find anything that is more than a few months old. I find using Google advanced search and specifying oldgas.com is much better at pulling up those hidden topics.

Some recs I can make, take 'em or leave 'em:
1) Split the for sale forum up in to cans, signs, globes, etc. so things don't get lost so fast.
2) Add some stickies to every other forum so important subjects stay on top and added to instead of being lost.
3) Pull the COTM and such out of the forums and give them their own tab on the site.
4) Get a better search feature and burn the old one to death.

I've been too busy to be more than a lurker these past few months but I'll try to check-in more often. smile

Looking for Tulsa Oil Globes, any Tulsa-based cans, Troco anything, Bosch signs and clocks, original VW dealership stuff and original white capcos!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I enjoy the site, big thanks to Jim and others for doing it.

As we all should know, things change, you can not keep everyone happy and if you dont like the way someone does something, feel free to do it yourself somewhere else.

There are some post I do not read, some I may read once but never go back and check for follow on comments. It is like TV, if you dont like it, change the channel. A site this big with so many different members do not all have the same idea of what the site should be. I try to add to it when I can and take from it what I can. If something has no interest to me, I move on instead of trying to get others to change, less stress that way...

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Wes Maxwell
I enjoy the site, big thanks to Jim and others for doing it.

As we all should know, things change, you can not keep everyone happy and if you dont like the way someone does something, feel free to do it yourself somewhere else.

There are some post I do not read, some I may read once but never go back and check for follow on comments. It is like TV, if you dont like it, change the channel. A site this big with so many different members do not all have the same idea of what the site should be. I try to add to it when I can and take from it what I can. If something has no interest to me, I move on instead of trying to get others to change, less stress that way...
. What he said!!!!

Hunt long and hard the good stuff still out there.
Jonathan lowry.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: towbizz33
hey dick,see ya. just lost another member. are you happy now. i am tired of your snide remarks since i signed on this sight.again you guys are a bunch of girls.

Yup! Childish BS comments, from whiners like towbiz, are a major part of the downfall of Oldgas.

The "Values" forum, has only fed the pickers. And if ya' dont like being callead a picker, then dont be one!

As for the COTM, ROTM, FATW, threads, and the others, that aren't done anymore... How about the great people that we lost, because of the BS? My COTM thread, was done with the cooperation of CHEVRON's historian. Permission was asked, before photos & facts, from their site were used. Other, so called historians, just copy & paste their findings, however incorrect they may be. But dont EVER ask them where they got their info. That will cause a long lived slander filled, personal hate fest, aimed directly at you!

Pictures? REALLY? Just so somebody can STEAL them, then post them as their own work? See the above comment...

Lets get back to pictures. How about "Post a random picture"... How is it that "a" random picture, becomes a certain members "photo blog"? Doesnt "a" mean ONLY ONE picture?

What about the colors? How badly was THAT option abused?

COUNTLESS members have left, or dont post as often as they once did, because the rules have changed. I'm all about change, but when it becomes as detrimental to the efforts, as it has done here, them we should stick to the original construction of the site!

Great post Bob. and as for me, you've never done me wrong. In fact, its your eloquence with the keyboard, that has actually spoken for me. Keep up the good work.

As for me, lets just see how much trouble I'm in now. LOL...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I understand Bobs concern. I too have seen change in the short time I have been a member. buys of the week is the topic for show and tell. And a lot of the rest that lands in forumn could just as well be better suited in general.
I enjoy members input with pics and history to add. Thats what I,m here for. Give you a example Wes Maxwell he knows Sinclair when he post it is fed with history of the item years used etc.
I have searched for history of companies I collect and thats the fun of it,for me anyway. I have grown due to this sight and going to a few shows I have seen both sides of this hobby the fast buck chaser and the collector who sells and passes on to other members. I hope oldgas doesn't turn in to a flee market as others have said. Hey guys I don;t think any thing wrong with a new painted wagon with stickers but would it not fit in another forumn. There is not a rule about pics in general. Jim hasn't weighed in maybe I'm wrong and we are barking up the wrong tree.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wish I knew what this site was and should be like. I have only been a member for a year and I wish everyone could all come together and talk about the thing we all love...Petroliana!! Im sure I have made some mistakes on here too, but I am human and I just love to learn about this kinda stuff. I have met some amazing people on here also and I want this site to get back to the reason that it was started in the first place. Thats what it is all about.

Braden Splichal

A
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A
Humility, it seems to be lacking in some "old timers" and "newbies" alike.

Ed

Ed
N
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
N
This site is the best site out there for petro. Period. Yes there is issues. But it's to be expected. You have a wide variety of people on here. Any time you have a world wide audience you're gonna have some differences in opinions. But if it wasn't for the great group of people who contribute then what would ya have? Nothing. The moderators do everything they can and sometimes it's a little much and sometimes it's not enough. But hey, they aren't your parents and they aren't here to babysit. If they were they woulda already quit or used the belt on those who need it. Thank you to all that help to make this a great place to learn and meet great people. I can't speak for everyone but I have met some great people on here that I can call great friends and I have met some people on here that I can say are retired kids that know it all and still aren't happy with life. There is always gonna be a DB in every hobby you enjoy. Just get used to it or ignore it. There is always two or three roads to take and usually there is two or three grades of gas to choose from. Some people will always be the lowest octane but others can add the octane booster that'll get ya thru the journey. Learn from who ya can and let the others become a misfire. I like this and you like that but in the end we all love petroliana and everyday with this site you learn something new about the hobby and about the people in it. At the end of the day it's all smiles. If its not then you're taking it too serious. That's a little more than my 2 cents but then again... 2 cents don't get ya much these days.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
WOW! Let it out Bob. In this instance I'm going to refrain from adding any additional comments as I feel Bob and many others have made good points. I must confess myself in the last year I have stopped looking in like I used to although of late I've made the effort to just pick out the things I like to view and pass on the rest. I have always enjoyed the FATW, pics from the past threads the best. I love history and these really speak to it. Hobbies will move and change with the times and not always for the better. Someone posted earlier about plastic signs being more prevalent. That is just a natural progression as time moves on and newer, younger people enter the hobby. It's what they relate to and remember. I myself think they have their place. Not everyone can afford the prices of porcelain, or globes for that matter.
Bob, you know my specialty is in light bulb tins. It has been my intention to try and do a kind of small history and "guide" to collecting them. I'm just trying to find an afternoon I can put forth the full effort I'd like to put into it. I know it's a small niche of collecting, but it has it's charms which I hope to enlighten people on. So I will be contributing to the best of my ability to the forum you hold so dear.......ME TO.

........Dave
LSx Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How many of you guys are just as active on other forums as you are this one? If you arent, this is old news.

Im an active member on LS1tech.com as well as SilveradoSS.com. Over the years they both have changed as well as the members on it. In fact, any forum that has been around for some time I guarantee its the same song and dance. To see a thread such as this saying "its going to hell" or "everything has changed" isnt new. Why? Because over time things change.

Look at the things in our hobby. You dont see visable gas pumps any more do you? Or oil in cans? Why? Things change! Its life and its not uncommon for forums to change and the people on it as well.

Im not saying what is right and what is wrong, its just a fact. Everyone is different and when you have a forum that is open to the public its gonna happen.

I enjoy this forum and I frequent it often. As in my other hobbies and their forums I have met and made some great friends over the years. In the short time I have been on here I have met some great people and eager to help a newb out such as myself. If I post something cool, tell me its cool. If I post something ignorent, tell me im a dumb ***** and ill learn from it. If your skin isnt thick enough for an internet forum I hate to see how thick it is in real life.

Thanks for those who put the effor into making and moderating a forum such as this. You're efforts are appreciated here.

-Brian
O
O

I came along in the summer and finally registered October 1st. I became interested in acquiring a gas pump to compliment my cars and the few other vintage items I have. I’m not a collector, picker, or trader of Petroliana. I just wanted a piece to go with my cars. I do have a few repro tin signs hanging on a wall in my garage to compliment my few old license plates, vintage padlock, car show wall plaques, and a tiny flip flop that belonged to my baby from a few summers ago.

I purchased a pump that needed parts, and oldgas.com connected me with people that could help me. Thank you to those that have helped, I appreciate that. I then thought it might be good to document my restoration on the “showcase” forum as it would encourage experienced restorers to offer advice and direction, and newbie’s to petroliana like me to learn from trial and error. I’ve enjoyed posting my progress on the pump.

As a photographer, I’ve posted a few petroliana related photos I’ve taken. Again, I thought people might be interested in seeing some of these images.

If I’m not following the rules, someone tell me. Send me a PM or post it. I want my posts to be of value to readers here.

Thanks to those that manage the site.

Orlando

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow, you guys are entertaining.

Randy
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings