Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#382929 Thu Jan 03 2013 08:04 AM
S
Skidder Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum as well as new to restoring a vintage gas pump. Recently I purchased a Gilbarco model 86 gas pump which I am thinking about restoring. The only reason I think it’s a model 86 is because I have seen a picture of one of these on-line.. I did see that some call them G&B model 86 which for me I don't know what the differences are if any.
The pump I got is missing two little sheet metal panels under the glass on the main skins, is this something that can be purchased or locally manufactured? If it can be produced does anyone have any drawings or pictures of these panels so I can get the shape and sizes I will need?
Also is there any history to these type pumps? Such as what years they were produced, who used them (oil companies)? And how do you know what color and graphics should be used to restore these pumps?
As you can see I have a lot of beginner’s questions as I have never researched or restored a gas pump. Thanks for any help or advice. Don

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Skidder #382953 Thu Jan 03 2013 09:42 AM
Online Cool
If you are not positive about what model you have, post a picture of it here so we can help with that. Be sure to show the places where there are missing parts.

Here are links for help with different ways of posting pictures in your message.
Pictures of the File Manager direct upload step-by-step process:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129148#Post189696
Our Testing Area forum where you can try out image uploads and posting:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=11
There is a nice ImageShack tutorial there. You can also upload to Photobucket or other free hosts.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Skidder #382954 Thu Jan 03 2013 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, I believe that the originals are nothing more than flat blanks with two clips that hold them to the door, I am at work right now so I am not 100% sure. I have made plain blanks for them in the past. Standard had a big interest in Gilbarco, so they were used at a lot of Esso stations. There is a real nice restored one in the Showcase & Stories forum titled "I Finally Finished My First Pump" that Hemistudegasser just did. It's your pump, I would do it like you want it. If you do decide on Esso, the lower portion would be red for "regular" Esso or blue for Esso Extra and the upper section would be white. I will check to see if I have any extra blanks at home this evening. As far as the Gilbarco and G&B, their name changed I believe just before the 86 was introduced to Gilbarco. Nice pump! Brady

Last edited by 1PetroFan; Thu Jan 03 2013 09:47 AM. Reason: added "upper section white"
1PetroFan #382971 Thu Jan 03 2013 11:31 AM
S
Skidder Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Brady,
I looked at the thread you mentioned and that is the kind of pump I bought. I really do like the way he finished his pump. I guess my pump was an Esso red pump as it still has three of the original Esso glass panes on top. I would have to say all red would look plain so maybe something a little more colorful would be better. I do have another pump a Gilbarco 96 I bought a couple years back that needs a full restore also. I am going to go with the Polly graphics on it.
If you look at the pump you told me about those two small black panels under the glass is what I am missing. I have another question should I remove or leave the original pump in place when I restore my pump? I have heard that some remove them to reduce the weight.
When I get home I will try to post some pictures of the two pumps I have. Thanks

Last edited by Skidder; Thu Jan 03 2013 11:39 AM.
Skidder #382980 Thu Jan 03 2013 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, I gut my pumps, but that is a choice that many collectors disagree on. I edited my post from earlier, the upper two thirds of an Esso pump is white. I have a porcelain Gilbert & Barker 80 (the predecessor to the 86)that was an Esso Extra and I will measure how far the blue is painted on the bottom when I get home. Gilbarco 96C's do up great as well, there was just a post on a restored Shell as well, the same color scheme that I did mine it but sold later. I'll let you know what I find out. Does your pump have the stainless steel trim on the corners of your 86? If not, Ron Scobie sells them, they sure dress up a pump. I have a Gilbarco 87, the clockface version of the 86 that I am going to do in Extra. Thanks! Brady

1PetroFan #383003 Thu Jan 03 2013 01:20 PM
S
Skidder Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Here is the two pumps I currently own. I am trying this picture thing for the first time so bare with me... I guess it worked. Now you can see the part that is missing off the Model 86 pump.

P1010665.JPG P1010664.JPG
Last edited by Skidder; Thu Jan 03 2013 01:23 PM.
Skidder #383147 Thu Jan 03 2013 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, the access doors are 5"x11" flat steel with two clips on the lower panel to hold the door on the pump. The top "fits" under the bezel, the clips hold it to the bottom opening. You have two nice looking pumps. I would get the SS trim from Ron for the 86 and add the lower SS trim just above the lower handle to the bottom of the 96C. The blue on my G&B 80 Esso Extra is 28 5/8" above the base on all four sides, and then the rest of the pump is white. Great looking pumps! Brady

1PetroFan #383165 Thu Jan 03 2013 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice, pumps! Too bad a little more of the Wilshire Polly decal isn't there... It would be a "killer" look....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #383222 Thu Jan 03 2013 10:16 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your pump is shown on page 163 of my Gas Pump Identification book, but if you don't have a copy always check out my website:

www.petrocollect.com

A direct link to the 86 is:

http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gb%2086.htm

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
1PetroFan #383227 Fri Jan 04 2013 04:39 AM
S
Skidder Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: 1PetroFan
Don, the access doors are 5"x11" flat steel with two clips on the lower panel to hold the door on the pump. The top "fits" under the bezel, the clips hold it to the bottom opening. You have two nice looking pumps. I would get the SS trim from Ron for the 86 and add the lower SS trim just above the lower handle to the bottom of the 96C. The blue on my G&B 80 Esso Extra is 28 5/8" above the base on all four sides, and then the rest of the pump is white. Great looking pumps! Brady

Brady,
Thanks for all this information. The clips for these access doors, are these something special that I can buy from someone or can I just make them? Do you by chance have a picture? I would like to get the SS trim for both pumps as you mentioned. I think that would really help set them off. The trim for the 96C, is this the same trim as the top? And again were would be a good place to purchase? Do you by chance have a Picture of your G&B 80? As you can tell this is all new to me, I guess when I go to the AutoFair this spring I will be hanging out at the Vintage pump vendors booth asking more questions. Well thanks for all the information.

Jack Sim #383228 Fri Jan 04 2013 04:43 AM
S
Skidder Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
Your pump is shown on page 163 of my Gas Pump Identification book, but if you don't have a copy always check out my website:

www.petrocollect.com

A direct link to the 86 is:

http://petrolianacollectibles.com/gb%2086.htm

Jack Sim
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Jack,
Thanks for the link to your web sight. Great information, now I know, which I didn't yesterday that G&B is the same as Gilbarco. When I get more time I will have to visit your web site for some more education on gas pump company's.

Skidder #383243 Fri Jan 04 2013 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, send me your e-mail address and I will send PICS. I am one of these old hard headed dogs that gives up on being able to post PICS. I am blaming the camera that I have. I will send you a PIC of the original clips, but I would make my own. i will send a PIC of my G&B 80 as well.

The 96C trim is the same as the two by the window. Some pumps came with all three pieces. I have never purchased the repop SS trim for the 96C, I believe VICS sells it. It's hard to find the original clip strip that it attaches to, I do know people have siliconed the trim on when the original strip is too far gone to use. You can also post on the Want To Buy Petroliana section for original. Brady

1PetroFan #383409 Fri Jan 04 2013 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gilbarco 86's are awesome pumps and is a pump that has eluded me...still have to find one for my collection.

Here's a 96 in Polly.

GB96 Polly.jpg

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Dave's Garage #383476 Sat Jan 05 2013 05:55 AM
S
Skidder Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Gilbarco 86's are awesome pumps and is a pump that has eluded me...still have to find one for my collection.

Here's a 96 in Polly.

Dave,
It looks like you have many pumps...I really love the polly pump. That is what I will be hoping mine will look like one day.

Skidder #383477 Sat Jan 05 2013 06:01 AM
S
Skidder Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Does anyone know if Gilbarco 86 pumps should have a brass pump handle or an aluminum one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved