Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
My head was in a daze I was 2 days into a corporate shindig for a big client in Germany when I was watching a little BBC TV. My phone rings and its from somewhere in the states so I answer expecting a client or maybe an old friend. On the other end was a gentlemen who asks if I collected gas signs and if I was interested in a rare one. Of course I am! The gentlemen was in Seattle and we exchanged email addresses and I fully expected this to be a picker who was shoping a sign to multiple buyers. A couple of days after Thanksgiving, back stateside, and I get an email with some beatiful pictures of a rare Washington Chief sign and a link to an article of one selling at dan matthews for 26k or so. Gulp! He left his phone number and asked me to call if I was interested in the sign...
http://acn.liveauctioneers.com/index.php...atthews-auction

To back up, I don't advertise other then a wanted ad in the petro section here on oldgas for cool stuff. I used to be able to track auctions, hit the roads and put in the window time but with younger kids getting active, a very hectic job and all that is 'America' I just don't have the time. So this call and opportunity to buy a really cool sign was something to at least check out.

We chatted on the phone and the guy sound like a good guy. Downsizing life a bit and wanting to sign to go to a good home. We talked through his options, roll the dice one ebay, sending it to Matthews or setting a price he was happy with. Keep in mind I don't know this guy from the next guy who I pass in the airport or meet at home depot. This guy knows nobody in the hobby that could vouch for him and the price he settle on was a fair chunk of change. Now I had to verify it was authentic and not be scammed. One guy immediately came to mind, Don Beaver at Vics 66.We have only met once in real live but have chatted probably a hundred times and the guy and his business are as good a gold in my business. I had to ask another big favor, for him to verify the sign, pay the guy and then hold on to it until I could get it to its new home in CO. I have a blank spot on my wall from a Oldsmobile neon I sold a few months ago. Don was excited from the get go and within a weak the sign was verified as the real McCoy and don paid the man. (sorry about the pain with Wells Fargo!).

Now how do you ship that kind of sign. I turned to go ole U-Ship and found an guy out of SD who makes some runs to WA and my sign would be his return trip. Now I had to trust another stranger with a high dollar sign BUT with a little Christmas luck... It arrived this AM and the pictures don't do it justice. It would be really hard to improve on this one. As soon as it warm, I'll scrub it, wax it and hang er' up. I just LOVE this sign. Big thanks to Don a www.vics66.com the guy is a good friend and always goes out of his way for others. I love that!

Now I just need to figure out where to put the holes when I put the neon on this one...

Scott Wright
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great sign and great story!
Isn't it good to know people like don are out there to help also? Again...great sign!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool! I love Indians!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Get that drill ready Powerlube...I can picture 6 or 8 different neon colors on this one! wink
All kidding aside, what a beautiful sign! Chief signs are just awesome. It's great you had trustworthy contacts to get the sign bought and home safely.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Glad it worked out for you.
Bob Beck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
drool bucket is out- awesome.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice!!!

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Scott, Your delivery guy made good time! I was at Don's place two days ago when they were loading it up. Nice piece,congrats! Tim

Member #163
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Beautiful sign and great story; excuse me now as I have to wipe the drool off of the computer screen!

LOL regarding the "Neon" analogy whistle

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
WOW, trade you for another tractor !

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Sat Dec 15 2012 03:17 PM.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Real nice sign & story.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Ho, Ho, Holes.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Great sign & story Scott.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Beautiful.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like the story... LOVE the sign!

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
That is great!