Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376019 Sat Dec 08 2012 12:11 PM
POL Offline OP
OP Offline
My story on how I came upon this item... I am currently deployed and was surfing CL early in the morning (my time) when I noticed a gas pump had been posted the night before (stateside time). It was around 1130 at night in the states so I had to wait until the morning time. The ad said vintage gas pump for sale and it only said South Western pump in the description, but it was for sale at $175. SO I waited all day then when evening came (my time) I started doing some emailing. I emailed the guy, tried to call him from my phone as well but had no luck. I emailed a friend who tried calling but no luck... We both finally got a hold of the guy who told us it was a typo and the pump was for sale @ $375... I thought about it and since I didn't buy one a couple years ago like I wanted I decided this one was older and around the same price so I went for it. I called the guy and offered him $350 and he seemed hesitant but said if I picked it up today it was sold. Well, had to call in the favors and asked one friend if he would pick it up, he obliged and then I called another friend, who happens to be a car guy himseld and wants a pump too, and he "cursed me out" and said he would help. I asked my 9 month pregnant wife to go to the ATM, she got the cash, gave it to our friend and bam! it is in my garage and now I owe some folks big time!

I discovered it looks to be a SouthWest Model 72/72-CR.. I am told all the pump internals are there, the only thing I need to purchase that I can see is new glass, hose and fuel dispenser and get the numbers replaced on the dial. Oh yeah, and a globe. you can see the wires sticking out the top to light a globe. Overall I think it was a good find for CL... Honestly, what are all your opinions?

I don't see SouthWest pumps anywhere too often, are these "rare"? Is there a way I can find out it's original fuel it dispensed years ago? I see it had some type of sign on the front panel, no clue if there is moutning holes on the other side or not... I have a Fire Chief sign that looks like it would fit perfectly right there. It looks rattle can sprayed but I won't know more until I re-deploy and get home.

Thanks for reading!

South West Pump.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
POL #376046 Sat Dec 08 2012 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Holes look correct & Silver color for a TEXACO SKY CHIEF.

POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the info DB, I will get a better look at it in a couple months.

POL #376090 Sat Dec 08 2012 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check w/ the locals for Foreign Signs.
GREAT JOB on getting pictures & an Avatar posted. There are Vintage members here that can't do it [gave up trying].

POL Offline OP
OP Offline
I asked my interpreter if he could get me a license plate but I guess it is illegal here in Afghanistan so I told him not to worry! I don't want him to get arrested! BUT, that is a great idea to try and get some other type of sign! Thanks.

LOL with them giving up. I guess if you don't play around too often on the internet it can be difficult figuring out how to change such things.

POL #376118 Sat Dec 08 2012 05:01 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Thanks for the story. Thanks for serving. Stay safe and Merry Christmas to you and your wife. ;;;;;;;;;;;Ron Lease

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story, glad you got it and a good price too. Thanks for serving and watch your back over there. My son recently returned from Afghanistan and its is not a vacation for sure. Merry Christmas

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #376254 Sat Dec 08 2012 10:49 PM
POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: oillease55
Thanks for the story. Thanks for serving. Stay safe and Merry Christmas to you and your wife. ;;;;;;;;;;;Ron Lease

Thanks Ron, glad you enjoyed the story. It was a little bit of a logistical dance to get everyone to assist. I was happy they were around their phone and email when I needed them. They are good friends. Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

AJ
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Great story, glad you got it and a good price too. Thanks for serving and watch your back over there. My son recently returned from Afghanistan and its is not a vacation for sure. Merry Christmas

Thanks KZ, I was hoping it was a decent price. I thought about trying to get him lower but in the beginning of the conversation he seemed pretty stern on the $375 so I wasn't about to push my luck and insult him to where he didn't want to deal with me. I am glad your son made it back safely; I thank him for his service as well. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

AJ

POL #376281 Sun Dec 09 2012 07:14 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
What a way to purchase your first pump, nice story.
Thanks for serving & Merry Christmas!

Cliff

justgassy #376286 Sun Dec 09 2012 07:21 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Anthony, Thanks for your service. We bought one of these pumps a year or two ago in a town N.West of Abilene. It was rough but we restored it to Shell and it sold quickly at the Hershey AACA Car show to a Canadian gentleman. You can see the results on our site....look under FOR SALE PUMPS and scroll down thru the pictures of items sold. It will be on the left side a good ways down. Your pump is definately a Texaco as mentioned but it's your choice to change. Just weld the holes shut and start again. Best to you and your family. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

justgassy #376333 Sun Dec 09 2012 10:47 AM
POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: justgassy
What a way to purchase your first pump, nice story.
Thanks for serving & Merry Christmas!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. It is going to make for a great story always now smile Merry Christmas to you and your family as well.

AJ

Originally Posted By: gasmansgp
Anthony, Thanks for your service. We bought one of these pumps a year or two ago in a town N.West of Abilene. It was rough but we restored it to Shell and it sold quickly at the Hershey AACA Car show to a Canadian gentleman. You can see the results on our site....look under FOR SALE PUMPS and scroll down thru the pictures of items sold. It will be on the left side a good ways down. Your pump is definately a Texaco as mentioned but it's your choice to change. Just weld the holes shut and start again. Best to you and your family. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Very nice looking restoration! I was going to ask if anyone thought changing the pump from original fuel to any style we wanted would hurt the value but at that sale price, I am thinking not so much. Did that one have the pump internals with it when you sold it? Now that I have seen the one you sold it opens up a desire to search out some good looking pumps that not many folks are using for their restoratin design. Best wishes to you and your family too.

AJ

POL #376356 Sun Dec 09 2012 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Restore to any company, YOU are the one that will be looking/enjoying it most. It can always be re-restored to suit the next Care Taker, these pumps will be here Long after we are gone.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Anthony, We always remove all the pumping mechanism, motor and piping before we start the restoration. We leave the mechanical computer along with necessary bracing. It does not affect the price at all. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Sun Dec 09 2012 04:31 PM.
gasmansgp #377308 Thu Dec 13 2012 09:30 AM
POL Offline OP
OP Offline
Is there a location on the tag or somewhere I can look at to find the manufacture date of my pump?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved