Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
OP Offline
O

I appreciate your comments Ken. I believe they are doing a good job.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I located some more parts, including a Buckeye nozzle, pump handle, and hose.
I made an attempt at cleaning the nozzle with some “Brasso”. After a little scrubbing and wiping with rags, it took the tarnish off pretty well. The pictures don’t really show a big difference, but there is. I’m going to do some polishing on it. I’ll update everyone later on this.

Here are some photos of the “before” and “after nozzle cleaning.

Orlando

Restoration 62.jpg
Before

Restoration 63.jpg Restoration 64.jpg Restoration 66.jpg
After

Restoration 67.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
O
OP Offline
O

Also, photos of the pump handle and hose.

Hope to have more this week.

Orlando

Restoration 68.jpg Restoration 70.jpg Restoration 69.jpg
O
OP Offline
O
Hello All,

I went by the body shop this evening to check on the skins. They were painted and look very nice. I'm scheduled to take the pump and parts for paint next Monday or maybe sooner if he finds a little time to squeeze them in.

I believe I'll work on painting the gallon markers next. My thoughts are to paint the numbers red and the rest silver or aluminum. Or maybe I’ll just paint them one color (silver) to be safe.

It’s too cold to get out in the garage tonight though; I’ll have to wait for a little warmer weather.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Orlando

Restoration 71.jpg Restoration 72.jpg Restoration 73.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SURE HOPE that you did a Trial Fit of body panels before the final painting! Easier to Tweak in primer.

O
OP Offline
O
Hello All,

It's been a few days since my last post and report that I haven't accomplished much. It's been a busy week and the restoration had to take a break. I'm excited about taking the next steps.

The pump was scheduled to go to paint tomorrow, but will postpone that work for a little while. I need to order some parts that will need painting along with the pump; the steel conduit for the cylinder light, and a steel or aluminum globe body.

More progress later.

Orlando

ps Dick, I appreciate the comment. I will need to be very careful when doing the final installation as they are a tight fit.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good there Orlando! Thanks for the progress pictures!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
O
OP Offline
O
Hello All,

I worked on cleaning up the manufacturer brass plate and porcelain “Contains Lead” plates. I plan on using these back on the pump. I ground the back of the bullet holes sharp edges and will sand and prime the backs of the porcelain plates.

I’m thinking of using Velcro on the brass and porcelain plates in order to not drill holes in the skins. I’ll try one and see how it works.

I got a few parts in the mail today, the steel conduit for the cylinder light, conduit mounting clamp, light socket, price box, and Texaco Ethyl decals.

I hope to have more soon.

Advice and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Orlando

Restoration 74.jpg Restoration 76.jpg Restoration 77.jpg Restoration 79.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On a freshly painted pump; I would suggest using new id plate and Contains lead signs. With the chips, bullet hole and missing corners they will look out of place on a fresh restoration. I would also mount them using screws just as they were originally.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
O
OP Offline
O
Dave,

I appreciate the suggestion. I believe you're right as these look pretty rough even cleaned up!

A couple of questions;

Are the new ID plates brass and engraved? Do restorers generally stamp the pump numbers on to the new plate?

On the porcelain "Contains Lead" plates, is there a good way to curve them so they fit the skin?

Orlando

ps Doesn't the original brass plate offer some proof of authenticity to the pump? The original ID plate seems to give it some sense of who, what, where, and when; a document of its origin. I am interested to hear what thoughts you have on this.

Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Orlando--I generally use the original ID plate for the reasons you suggested and I buy new "contains lead" signs. You can buy these in the curved version and every once in a while, an original curved one will come across ebay, or even here on Old Gas.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Orlando, Ron Scobie makes real nice reproduction brass id plates. Go to harbour freight or any other discount tool place and buy 1/8" number and letter punch set. Don't need to be a quality set as if you use them for id plates you will be only stamping soft metals (brass & aluminum). Using the punch sets copy all the numbers onto the new plate. I keep the original brass id plate and place it in a zip lock baggie and tie wrap it inside the pump.

Reproduction flat porcelain plates flex enough to curve and fit the pump when the attaching screws are tightened down.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looking good!

Looking for any cans! PM me what ya got!
O
OP Offline
O
I do appreciate the comments and will take your advice.

Orlando

O
OP Offline
O
By the date above, it's been 17 days since my last post on this thread. I've been distracted from my restoration by a few things including everyday life, work, cold nights and weekends, and a new project. The new project is a new garage that I've begun building in my back yard.

I promise to continue work on my pump. In fact, delivery of my globe body and lenses should be here today or tomorrow. I spoke to the painter and he expressed that we may can paint next week.

More to come.

Orlando

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lookin good Orlando. Your doing a nice job with the pump and the post. I like this thread.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved