Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#359233 Fri Sep 28 2012 11:21 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
In Feb 2012, I was approached by the producers of Canadian Pickers (a spin-off from American Pickers) they were inquiring if I would be interested in being featured on the show. A scout flew out and checked out my collection and they indicated they were interested in shooting an episode at my residence.

At first I was a little hesitant, however a few more phone calls from the producers and I agreed to do it.

The episode was shot in March 2012. It was quite an experience, they were here filming for 9 ˝ hours. Was condensed into 15 minutes. All the camera’s were kind of unnerving. Usually, I’m a talkative individual…but, I think I came across as a quiet individual.

Sold them more than what was shown on TV. But, you have to sell the items, pretty cheap. All in all, I enjoyed it...it was fun.

Here's a link to their website and you can view the episode if you want to check out my collection. I'm the 2nd collector featured.
[video:google]www.history.ca/canadianpickers/video/ful...&s=dd#video[/video]

I hope you enjoy the episode as much as I did!

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Fri Sep 28 2012 11:25 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
it wont play in the usa.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
That's too bad. Will it work if you paste this in your browser

history.ca/canadianpickers/video/full+episodes+s3/macho+challenge/video.html?v=2282460709&p=1&s=dd#video

How about going to the Canadian Pickers web page, the name of the episode is Macho Challenge (Season 03, Episode 15).

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Sat Sep 29 2012 01:08 AM.

Dave GILL,
G
G
I have been in on the Canadian Pickers web page and it will not play the episode

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
SORRY! This video is not available in your country. What kind of B.S. is that?

Still looking for that Union 76 ball
And I collect big old porcelain neon signs
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dave , That's one of the best collections I've ever seen! Great job on the display.Some of those offers they made you I would find insulting!.Too bad they didn't focus more on your visible pumps,they were hard to see.Are Steve and Sheldon as annoying in person as they are on T.V.? Lol Dave

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: porcelain-neon

Yeah what he said!

JOSBORN #359252 Sat Sep 29 2012 05:54 AM
Originally Posted By: JOSBORN
Originally Posted By: porcelain-neon

Yeah what he said!

X3

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I thought it was called "The World Wide Web"; either the USA or Canada I guess is not located in that "World". LOL

Maybe one of our Canadian friends could post the episode on "You Tube" so the Americans (and other collectors around the world) can enjoy Dave's collection...just a thought.

Last edited by 1937 GMC; Sat Sep 29 2012 07:37 AM.

Buying: Polarine / Red Crown Gasoline Globes and Signs, Early Chevrolet & United Motors Signs, and 1910's through 1940's Gas & Oil Signs.
1937 GMC #359266 Sat Sep 29 2012 07:37 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm assuming you have to sell the items cheap because they pay a decent location fee? That's what I've heard about American Pickers.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I saw the episode nice looking colletion.

ward

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I appreciate all the positive comments. If anyone is in the area, let me know and stop by.

Not available in your country....I've had that happen to me for American shows. I believe it's for shows that have not been bought/ royalties paid for. Once an American network picks up the show it will be available.

I not computer savvy enough to post it to a "You Tube" video. As already suggested, I've been told that's what needs to be done.

I didn't get paid any fee's or compensation for the shoot. All the items they bought were real transactions and I did get paid for the items purchased.

Scott and Sheldon were fun to work with, I had a great day with them. After all, it's a show about picking and they have to show that they are making money on the items. Can't be expected to pay retail prices....that would upset all the pickers. No pressure to sell, although you can sense their disappointment.

Dave GILL,
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I watched a episode the other day and one of the guys had a huge shell collection. Do you know him dave? i think he was in southeast b.c.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
If the episode was from last year, yes I know him. He's in Rosedale, BC.

Dave GILL,
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dave, you looked good on the episode and it was nice to see some of your collection. You are right about seeming a bit quiet but then they also edit everything so that their 'stars' are the ones who shine, not the people who get picked. I still wonder about how they decide upon what they want to deal on and what they ignore. I guess it is a matter of what makes good TV and what doesn't. Well don't quit your job yet, lol. Cheers, Don.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Don, thanks for the kind words.

Before the filming started, we walked around and they indicated what they would be interested in buying. Prices were negotiated and some of items they researched on e-Bay and the internet to ensure that they were what I was telling them they were.

When it was filmed we had in advance already agreed on the prices and just "renegotiated" for the camera. In my opinion, it is as real as a reality show can get.

Dave GILL,
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
start at 1:20, they would like you to believe different.
canadain pickers

bppierce #359347 Sat Sep 29 2012 03:15 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I just LOL'ed

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dave, any way to put the video on YouTube?

Eddy Smith
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Eddy, I sent you a PM.

Dave GILL,
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dave, the Canadian Pickers are having another auction on October 14th in Calgary and have a Wayne Red Indian Marathon Blue pump up for bid. I guess their selling skills are not up to their so-called picking skills. Cheers, Don.

bppierce #359490 Sun Sep 30 2012 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bppierce
start at 1:20, they would like you to believe different.
canadain pickers

...wow, that's a little hinky, isn't it?

...but, anyway...so their deal is, they (and a camera/lighting/sound crew) come to your house, shoot a TV show with staged 'discoveries' and 'sales' - and then pay 'pretty cheap' prices for your stuff? I have a better deal: I'll come to your place, pay you less than retail, and you won't have to put up with the camera crew or publicity! wink

...but, seriously - when you consider that you could film your collection and put it on Youtube yourself, why involve these 'celebrities'? you're giving them free content for their show (for which, they are richly paid by their sponsors), and cheap stock for their store?...it seems like you'd do better (price-wise) selling to actual collectors...please tell me what the attraction is - I really want to know, 'cos I just don't get it...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I collect simply for my enjoyment and personal satisfaction, it's never been about money. It's for my pleasure. Like, I said...I enjoyed the day spent with them. I have had a lot of people contact me from all over Canada, who I would not have met otherwise. That's reason enough for me.

Any situation can be exploited and portrayed negatively or positively...based on the personal bias of an individual. I accept things and people for what they are. I don't expect everyone to share my views or agree with me.

Bottom line is, these shows have introduced more new people to this hobby then you and I have. In a downward global economy, gas & oil has held it's own, pretty well. In these times of fiscal restraint people are flocking to our hobby, injecting new money into it....because of these shows.

Lighten up Mark, cut them some slack. They have a place in this hobby....I'm glad I was able to contribute to their success.

Dave GILL,
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OK Dave you've had your few minutes of TV Fame.
Hope ya don't crash on landing back in the REAL WORLD! LOL
IF your buying from Dave, have a friend along to carry a Camera, he MIGHT
Quote:
"renegotiated" for the camera.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Dave, I'm not sure what their place in hobby is - but I'm not about to assign credit to the Pickers shows for making the hobby popular, nor for ensuring the long-term financial stability of the memorabilia as an investment...and I'm not cutting them (or their American counterparts, or Rick's 'restorations') an ounce of slack...

...a LOT of people - for whom it's ONLY about the money - have latched onto the hobby because of 'these shows'...because that's what 'these shows' are about - the money...otherwise, the hosts could just visit different collections to see what people have, and learn about the pieces, in the context of history - without staged buying/selling/picking entering the equation...you can't tell me that wouldn't be better for the hobby, than a couple of folksy characters hamming it up for the cameras...

...if you enjoyed the experience, felt like you were being treated fairly, and you wanted that kind of exposure, good for you...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I would love to see a TV show where once a week they would go visit somebodies collection and I could learn a little about something I've never know before, like, I don't know, board games or parking meters.
No surprises, no negotiations, no finding hidden gems, no contests, no bickering, just showing off your stuff and educating people like me.
I think HGTV used to have something like this awhile back, but I guess that was short lived.

Last edited by bppierce; Sun Sep 30 2012 06:18 PM.
bppierce #359696 Sun Sep 30 2012 09:13 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
In my experience, I wish more people would go by Picker's prices because the value they say they can sell something for is usually quite a bit less than I see them listed for.

Eddy Smith
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Gulfiend, be it Scott and Sheldon (Canadian Pickers) or Frank and Mike (American Pickers)they are fellow collectors. They were collecting long before they were involved with the TV shows.

Having said that, I agree with you that for them the money part of the hobby is of greater importance. With respect to that, I can see your point and it's an interesting perspective. You are probably right that they are responsible for attracting a lot of the people that are in this for just the money. The kind of people that have no regard or concern for the future of this hobby, and are selling repro signs as originals and ect. The influx of these people will be short term but the consequences/ damage of their actions will be with us for a long time.

I like your idea of Sunday afternoon garage/collection tours without any buying and selling. With a greater focus on history versus profits.

Dave GILL,
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Dick......stop being your name sake.

He was just sharing his experiences just like you.

Mike
strnge #359976 Mon Oct 01 2012 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't have as much fun if my name was Mike!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Imagine how many friends you'd have if your names sake was Buddy?

Just throwing it out there...:)

GasCan #360055 Tue Oct 02 2012 09:03 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
lol both of you.

Mike
strnge #360465 Wed Oct 03 2012 10:10 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Hey Graeme
Would you be the buyer of Red Indian stuff they mentioned in this weeks episode?

Looking for Canadian Imperial and Canadian North Star.
John Neilsen
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great episode Dave! It's nice to see someone's collection and passion from miles away while I'm comfortable on my couch.

Daryl
GasCan #360551 Thu Oct 04 2012 11:00 AM
Originally Posted By: GasCan
Imagine how many friends you'd have if your names sake was Buddy?

Just throwing it out there...:)

He would have one! LOL......

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thank-you Daryl. Glad you enjoyed it.

Dave GILL,
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Johnnyleduc
Hey Graeme
Would you be the buyer of Red Indian stuff they mentioned in this weeks episode?

Nope...not me John. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved