Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dick Bennett #352017 Wed Aug 29 2012 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the prices aren't 'a joke' - they are still pretty accurate, relative to one another...

...I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you're thinking of spending more than $100 on a gas pump, buy the $@&%* books...at least TRY to do some research before asking a million questions, that would be easily answered by doing the research in the first place...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
gulfiend! #352020 Wed Aug 29 2012 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd rather have a seller/farmer see book w/ a LOW Inaccurate price on pumps than current Barret Jackson/Auction Results.

gulfiend, when did you start paying more than $10ea?
ROTF,LMAO

IF ya can't rib ur friends, it's cause ya have none, they all died.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Wed Aug 29 2012 03:09 PM.
Dick Bennett #352066 Wed Aug 29 2012 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack has said that the pricing was the publishers idea to sell the book...the same occurs on pest control books. I have books that still recommend DDT but the backround information is still great which is why I keep them.

I have Jack's recent pump book and I think as Gulfiend said the prices are still good relative to each other to see which pumps may be more scace than others and therfor be worth more. You can use that scale to put current prices on pumps, allowing for regional scarity, fads, etc. So in that regard Jack listing prices is helpful.

And if I were buying pumps I would, in pencil make notes about average current prices and would update each year, for any pump I would research. I think awhile back a certain Mr. X (unnamed so he won't be bugged by newbies) gave the list a tutorial on how he figures prices by showing us his crib sheets, tho I don't remember what the cribsheet items were...

Paul, maybe you should tell them you'd be happy to talk to them about an item you have in stock, but don't like discussing pumps you haven't seen up close and in person... smile

Last edited by Nicole; Wed Aug 29 2012 06:23 PM.
Nicole #352110 Wed Aug 29 2012 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave Hathaway's monitor top restoration? I have one in my kitchen that I restored years ago and is still in good working order for an 80+ year old frig. Dave needs that frig. back quick to put all that chicken in that he is going to bring to Dixie. Home Cookin !! Dave

Last edited by 60wayne; Wed Aug 29 2012 07:31 PM.
Nicole #352111 Wed Aug 29 2012 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul, I am very familiar with what you have outlined in your post and share your fustrations.

Between balancing family & business committments, going out finding new items, restoring cars, restoring gas pumps, building signs, day to day chores of running a business. Time is a pretty rare comodity (shop rate $45.00 an hour)....if there were 48 hrs in a day; I still wouldn't get everything done that I set out to do every morning. Simply put...not enough hours in a day.

I give potential customers about 5 minutes of my time before I tell them that I have to go. Sometimes, I am forced to be blunt with people and tell them that fielding their calls does not pay my bills. They are keeping me away from paying customers and that I would rather be answering questions for people that support my business. i.e. come and spend some money and I'll answer a few questions.

People have a false sense of entitlement. They expect me to waste my time telling them what an item is worth so that they can go buy it from someone else. Waste my time, but line someone elses pockets with money....How does that benefit me, or at the end of the month pay my bills??? If they have the right to ask, then I have a right to not answer.

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Wed Aug 29 2012 07:35 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Haven't you guys seen the new TV commercial where the kid ask a question & guy behind counter/desk ask for his Credit Card?
I need your Credit Card before I can answer that question. Kid throws up his hands & walks out!
LOL

Dick Bennett #352135 Wed Aug 29 2012 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I think the skillful part of running your own business is extricating yourself out of situations that are not profitable vs. complaining about them.

I reckon business interuptions to deal with people that aren't going to buy from you has always been a part of self employment. I remember when owning a service station, elbow deep into fixing a car, having to take time out to give an estimate on tires that I knew the guy was never going to buy. Or the part store guys giving a price quote for a waterpump only to have the potential customer go elsewhere.

Regarding giving free pump appraisals over the phone, instead of looking it up, there's no harm in saying "I don't know, let me encourage you to buy Jack's pump book or check auction results online" What did that take...20 seconds?

Ohio Oil #352150 Wed Aug 29 2012 11:23 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I too get a ton of phone calls and emails. I made a great mistake when I wrote the books, I put my email address in both books and my phone number in the Air Meter book.

Since the only thing I sell is ECO parts, I try to keep the gas pump related calls to a minimum, and when it come to values, I just tell them I cannot put a value on anything I cannot see. Some tell me they will send pictures, I tell them not to bother, I have to see the pump in person.

I really agree with Dave Gill, time is money, if it is obvious that you are not making a money talking on the phone, it is time go get off the phone. My best excuse is "My wife just called me to (breakfast, lunch or dinner) or My wife just walked in the door with some hot food."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #352157 Thu Aug 30 2012 03:35 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Dick, I've thought about the credit card angle. I'll try Jack's theory about only giving opinions if I can see it in person. End of story. Thanks guys for all the help. I got a really pleasant phone call yesterday, from an Oldgasser. We talked for twenty minutes and laughted about the stupidity of all the problems in the world. Mine are nothing. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved