Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#351325 Sun Aug 26 2012 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am assuming this is a glo-dial clock I can see three neon tubes inside through the glass one clear and two white. It has some kind of electrical conections on the side of it I dont know what those are for. The clock is 32 inches and heavy!

I plugged in the clock and the time is accurate to the T!

The neon dont light up though what could be the problem?

What is the value of it also?

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
texacokie #351357 Sun Aug 26 2012 08:57 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Is this for sale?

TheRoyalCrown #351361 Sun Aug 26 2012 09:09 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
And this looks almost like a clock I have made by the ever-lite company out of Los Angeles. If it were a glo-dial usually they put their logo between the 6 and where the hands are attached.

TheRoyalCrown #351363 Sun Aug 26 2012 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No it is not for sale I looked up this clock and it says they were used for bowling alleys back in the day and thats why it has 3 different neon tubes in it.

Here is what it says:
Glo-Dial Company

Large Clocks

The same style as the basic "standard" clock, these clocks are larger, and have multiple rings of neon. Some have an external wiring switch which allows different neon tubes to be turned on at different times.

An anecdotal story mentions that one of these clocks installed in a bowling alley had three tubes of neon, a red, a pink, and a white. During "league" play, when the first game was being bowled, only the red neon would be turned on. When the second game was rolling, only the white neon would be lit. During the third game, all three neon tubes would be lit, glowing pink

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
texacokie #351367 Sun Aug 26 2012 09:29 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Mine only has a single green tube. Mine is also a bank themed clock.

TheRoyalCrown #351386 Mon Aug 27 2012 04:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If those are some kind of external switch connections,then the neon may be off since unconnected.need to open the back and see how it is wired.it may be simple to turn them on with some type of jumpers.only recommend doing this if you have some electrical knowledge. Make sure you have power going TO the transformer ,and that all connections are good. Being that there are four terminals,I would guess one is power going out to the switch,and the other three would be sending power back in to each of the neon tubes(three) this would make sense with your description. Glo dials usually go for good money on eBay,but I can't really guess at the value. Nice clock. Ps. You must be single,cause if I put a metal clock like that on one of our leather chairs,my wife would string me up!! grin

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Mon Aug 27 2012 04:48 AM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #351400 Mon Aug 27 2012 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
If those are some kind of external switch connections,then the neon may be off since unconnected.need to open the back and see how it is wired.it may be simple to turn them on with some type of jumpers.only recommend doing this if you have some electrical knowledge. Make sure you have power going TO the transformer ,and that all connections are good. Being that there are four terminals,I would guess one is power going out to the switch,and the other three would be sending power back in to each of the neon tubes(three) this would make sense with your description. Glo dials usually go for good money on eBay,but I can't really guess at the value. Nice clock. Ps. You must be single,cause if I put a metal clock like that on one of our leather chairs,my wife would string me up!! grin

Ok I will open it up and snap some pictures of the inside of it and post them here so I can get some help on the wiring I would love to see it lit up! I have a little electrical knowlege nothing to brag about though I sure dont want to screw this up. No I am married she was taking a nap when I snapped the picture...shhhh.

texacokie #351401 Mon Aug 27 2012 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just something to maybe study also,BEFORE you plug things in.

http://www.steinville.com/neon_repair.htm

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #351403 Mon Aug 27 2012 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
Just something to maybe study also,BEFORE you plug things in.

http://www.steinville.com/neon_repair.htm

Thanks for that link I will do some reading up on it.

texacokie #351408 Mon Aug 27 2012 07:06 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
if none light up, it would make sense its either the transformer or the wiring. unless there is visible damage where all three tubes come togther.

Neon/transformers are very dangerous

marxmobilgas #351411 Mon Aug 27 2012 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dangerous as in how are they dangerous?

texacokie #351420 Mon Aug 27 2012 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Read the first warning of the link! As long as careful and use common sense,you should be good.if you are unsure of messing with it,then don't. Still would like to see pics,even if you decide not to work on it. I have done the arc test described,and it works.and I'm still here to write this. Lol

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Mon Aug 27 2012 08:58 AM.

oldnfuelish #351428 Mon Aug 27 2012 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Oh the little thing about the 4,000-12,000 volts!...yeah that is a bit spooky.
Here are some pics with the cover off the back for you guys to see, what do yall think?

texacokie #351436 Mon Aug 27 2012 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like you have a 24v ? Transformer ( silver)that powers two different relays that would then turn on the power to the high voltage transformers( the heavier black transformers).thing is,it's kinda hard to tell how that works by just the pics.any chance the inside of the back has a schematic on it? Just by the view, things look like in good shape. Can you get a pic of the top of the silver transformer?(where the wires connect?). I think my first guess is close,with them using low voltage to the switch.havent worked on this particular setup(yet) but doesn't seem to complex.Also see if there is a voltage rating on the silver transformer,or the two relays. If it is 24 volts,then it should be relatively easy to check.but also gives the possibility of another bad transformer.

oldnfuelish #351451 Mon Aug 27 2012 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After having studied the wiring, I can tell you that the step down low voltage transformer (silver) is used to activate/ energize the relays. As it is sitting there; currently, there is no mechanism in place to energize the relays. They need to be energized in order for the neon to light up.

The terminals that would energize the relays go directly, to two of the four terminals in the body at the top. The remaining two terminals carry low voltage to activate/energize the relay. This leads me to believe the terminals on the top were connected to external switches that turned the neon on and off.

In your photograph you have four terminals on the body of the clock. It appears that the left terminal and the terminal beside it (to the right) if jumped (connected together) will light one tube. The remaining two terminals if jumped will light the remaining tube.

If I had it in front of me, I could 100% guarantee the foregoing...however I can't see all the leads. If you jump the terminals as I have suggested, the neon tubes should light, assuming that, all the transformers and relays are in good working order.

Good luck and always bear in mind when working with electricity... Electricity is a great servant but a terrible master!

Last edited by Dave's Garage; Mon Aug 27 2012 01:06 PM.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved