Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bob, you are a humble man!

I think we are correct to assume that is a manufacturing date code for quality control purposes. My can was dated 1955 in the same manner. Both dates are true to the time lines for the logo changes you had noted above.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Definitely some great info and I appreciate your taking the time to share this stuff Bob, and for expanding the thread. I checked the 5 gallon can and while it has that funny looking C logo on the bottom, there's no date stamp. The C59 on the side of the can is not likely a date either as I have 2 other cans of Red Head oil that both have that same marking on the side, and bottoms that have only the can makers logo and no date stamps. Weird as they'll from the same place, but no dates.

GasCan #347911 Sun Aug 12 2012 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The C within a C within a C; is the Continental Can Company markings...

I do believe your 5 gal is from the 1940s.... And is the same design as the tan Veedol Flying V cans I have been trying to gather for my little display...

As I stated before, you have a "killer" can!

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I hear ya, but wouldn't that go against the Tide Water Associated branding if all it says is Tidewater on the side of the can? That would make it years ahead of the name change which wasn't supposed to happen until 56 or did Canada make that name change ahead of schedule?

Last edited by GasCan; Sun Aug 12 2012 04:16 PM.
GasCan #347924 Sun Aug 12 2012 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tidewater Canada Ltd... Were separate from Tide Water-Associated and from Tidewater Oil... So the can could be from the 1940s to the mid 1950s....

There is a giant hole in my knowledge or lack there of... Where it comes to Tidewater Canada Ltd...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll see if I can't find you some Canadian literature to help you out there. Cheers..and thanks for sharing all that info. Very much appreciated.

GasCan #348112 Mon Aug 13 2012 09:14 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting how the earliest Canadian black Veedol quarts were just the Tide Water Oil Company, then most of the cream quarts were Tide Water Associated, and finally back to just Tide Water with the red quarts and green quarts. Most of the imperial Veedol quarts were made by Canco, the American Can Co. of Canada. Those Canadian imperial sized cans stamped with the three 'Cs', a large C with a smaller one inside and the smallest one inside again, are from the Continental Can Company and if there are two numbers beside it that is the plant code, such as 54 which I believe is one the Toronto plants. They had plants throughout Canada, one just down the road from me in Edmonton, but the majority of the quarts seemed to have been produced in Toronto. Cheers, Don.

IMG_0171.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, as you already know.... Everyone who collects Tide Water Oil, Associated Oil, Tide Water-Associated, Tidewater and Getty... knows the different Company's and mergers will drive one to drinking (if anyone needed an excuse?)

Let me preface what I am going to say next, with the facts....
I AM NOT an Expert on this subject. If I have something wrong, please do not hesitate to share the correct information:

The first (only) Veedol cans produced for Tide Water Oil out of New York. Were the "Diamond Star-burst" designs:

Small Diamond Star-burst design (1932-1933):

They are known as; "Small Diamond" because the diamond shape fits within the orange/white border...

The next design was; "Large Diamond Star-burst" (1934-1939):

The diamond goes through the border at the top and on the sides... The "Star-burst" is self explanatory...

The first Veedol cans for the "New" Tide water-Associated Oil were the tan Flying V cans (1940-1949):

The first Veedol cans for the "New" Tidewater Oil were the blue Flying A cans (from the magazine ads, I've found) (1956-1958):

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For those of you who have not committed suicide by beating your heads against your desks and walls....

If my information is correct here are the last Veedol design for Tidewater Oil and the first for Getty Oil....

Tidewater is metal, Getty is composite....

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great info to know. I'm just getting into Veedol and really like the history lesson here. Good on you for starting this thread Dave, and nice to have a couple very knowledgeable collectors Like Bob & Don chime in about the can companies, dates, and transition periods. Here are the first cans I've started to collect, but I'm sure there'll be more.

Cans1.jpg Cans2.jpg
GasCan #348194 Mon Aug 13 2012 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob,
Where are your TIDE WATER FLYING FISH Cans?

TW Fish.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob, I would never be one to get in-between a man and his drink, so perhaps I will top your glass off with an observation about the early black Veedol imperial quarts and how they don't exactly fit your neat chronology. The two following photos show two identical black Veedol quarts with the large diamond, however the side photos with their lists of cars are quite different. One lists around 39 vehicles and the other about 28. Now in the shorter list many of the vehicles were defunct by the mid 1930s such Auburn, Durant, Essex, Franklin, etc. and were not listed. However GM didn't drop the McLaughlin name from the Canadian McLaughlin Buick until 1942. So that quart with just Buick on it must be from around that time period. It is also possible that they were just slower in changing designs in the Canadian market, so we may had the black quart longer up here. Also wanted to show you my latest arrival that appeared in this afternoon's mail along with 47 other cans. I had never seen a Canadian Tide Water antifreeze before and Flying A to boot. You just never know what is still out there. Cheers, Don.

IMG_0175.jpg IMG_0174.jpg IMG_0172.jpg
Last edited by coopersplace; Mon Aug 13 2012 06:33 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, I thank you for filling in some blanks...

In 1938, here in the States Tide Water and Associated Merged... It took almost a full year before the Tide Water-Associated was able to produce the tan can...

I've found that during the time from 1947 to 1949 Tide Water-Associated in fact was advertising the tan Flying V can and the red Flying V can...

So design "over runs" seem to be common for the Company, here in the States... So such practices elsewhere doesn't surprise me...

I like your Anti-freeze can

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love the Veedol cans. Guess its too late to start collecting now? Dang

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
st.rod #348538 Tue Aug 14 2012 08:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Larry,
Bob, Alan & Don have most of what is available, so they are only after the very hard to find ones now!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved