Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good question. I just looked at a bunch on ebay and did not see the reference number on any of them (I did not look at every one, just enough to get a sense of what might be). Sorry, but I don't know enough about Coke stuff to say one way or the other although my leaning is that it is "original", just not sure of when it's from.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doc

I would love to see the original box or packaging for this thermometer. This would clear up the thermometers original intention. Plain brown box would indicate that it was to be dispersed through coca cola. Colorful print and barcodes, ect would indicate a reproduction??? Just because it was made in the 1980's doesn't mean it is repop. I don't believe this thermometrs original intention was to offer a cheap alternative to the earlier version. Regardless, the therm is a great entry level piece that is inexpensive and extremeley popular!!!! I love this site for this very reason...... Thanks for the discussion!!!!

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I've seen TCA on the bottom as well of the bottle therms
Thermometer Corporation of America Springfield Ohio

http://www.rubylane.com/ni/iteml/559284-rl9300#pic1

The ones I see in "antique" shops now are made in Mexico.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WAS TOLD THAT THE NUMBER ON A THERMOMETER SCALE WOULD REFERENCE THE TUBE SIZE IN CASE IT NEEDED TO BE REPLACED, NOT A YEAR.

I AM TALKING ABOUT COKE BOTTLES ONLY WHEN REFERENCING THEIR CHANGE FROM EMBOSSED TO A.C.L. PAINTED LABEL BOTTLES IN THE MID-50'S.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
where the threm. says trade mark with a circle around the (R) it could not be older than 60s

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: coheley5
where the threm. says trade mark with a circle around the (R) it could not be older than 60s

Good information. Could you tell me where you found it at? I would like to read up on it.

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, please do on the trademark info. if you have it available. I spent a couple of hours last night trying to find when companies began using "Trade Mark Reg." to no avail. I have some advertising labeled this way and then some from the same company with no trade mark (which, by the way, at some point the words were joined together to just be "trademark")identification. It is my understanding that all advertising a company put out had to have the mark once they registered it. But, I do not know that for a fact.

Thanks

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
R
R
I also have this thermometer,that I have been trying to find info on.Ive seen one on a coca cola site where in 2007 it went at auction for 600.00.I have been all over this computer looking for someone to help me.You will see the numbers on the bottom ,which I am pretty sure ,when It was made.Also I read an article,which said the ones with the thermometer off to the left and with green background are extremely rare.Any info would be so appreciated.

I do have photos of the sign but they are too large to upload. I would be happy to email them to those who are interested.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I know a little about the Coke bottle therms. Ive sold about 15 in my time. The Donasco is a legit that started this post.

In my experience the most desirable among collectors is the TCA edition. The Donascos I've only sold for maybe $70-ish. The TCAs usually sell for $100. I had one in its original box one time that sold for $130.

Maybe this helps.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Go to thecoca-colacompany.com/heritage and look for Trademark chronology. The photo below is what you are looking for but I am not sure you can read the one I downloaded.

phpYEelvlPM.jpg

TCA is a repro of the original Donasco..PERIOD.

Carl #343231 Sun Jul 22 2012 04:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
rayandjulie -you are talking about the porcelain silhouette therm? The therm they are discussing here is the tin bottle therm. A few people got confused and posted/mixed in - the porcelain version into the discussion. This is an old post thats been brought back up with some previous good info. Personally I pass on these unless they are Robertson. I dont think by any stretch the TCA is the most desirable by collectors- Maybe decorators....

Last edited by JimT; Sun Jul 22 2012 04:12 AM.
JimT #343253 Sun Jul 22 2012 08:26 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As I said before look at the trade mark any thing with a R in a circle is not old buy a robertson therm if you want one

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It may just be coincedence but I think the reason the people I've sold to seem to prefer the TCA version is they usually have a sturdier loop. Almost every Robertson or Donasco I've had the loop either broke or was about to.

Again this may not matter at all. I can only speak for my buyers.

Eddy Smith
Call or Text: 678-232-4637
E-mail: eddysmithjr@gmail.com
Always looking for pump plates or small signs!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved