Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#328395 Sat May 26 2012 03:38 PM
ToonMan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

The Bomber, Milwaukie, OR

The Bomber gas station has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. I loved to drive by and see the plane, or even be lucky enough to get gas under it massive wingspan. As I have gotten older, I have become interested in the History of the Plane, the Station and Art Lacey himself. The story is really a neat piece of our local history.

When Art Lacey, a young pilot and gasoline station owner, envisioned combining his two passions into a business, people questioned his sanity. The Bomber, located in Milwaukie, Oregon, was once a gas station and is now a restaurant with a vintage World War II B-17 G bomber—known as the “Flying Fortress”—prominently exhibited in its parking lot. It is quintessential Americana and an Oregon landmark.

Art Lacey purchased the retired war bird at an Air Force base in Oklahoma and flew it to Oregon in 1947. His idea was to fly it back to Oregon, jack it up in the air and make a gas station out of it. He paid $15,000 for it. He asked which one was his and they said take whichever you want because there were miles of them. He didn't know how to fly a 4-engine airplane so he read the manual while he taxied around by himself. They said he couldn't take off alone so he put a mannequin in the co-pilot's seat and off he went.

He flew around a bit to get the feel of it and when he went to land he realized he needed a co-pilot to lower the landing gear. He crashed and totaled his plane and another on the ground. They wrote them both off as "wind damaged" and told him to pick out another. He talked a friend into being his co-pilot and off they went.

They flew to Palm Springs where Lacey wrote a hot check for gas. Then they headed for Oregon. They hit a snow storm and couldn't find their way, so they went down below 1,000 feet and followed the Train Tracks. His co-pilot sat in the nose section and would yell, "TUNNEL" when he saw one and Lacey would climb over the mountain.

They landed safely, he made good on the hot check he wrote, and applied for a permit to move his B-17 on the state highway. The highway department repeatedly denied his permit and fought him tooth and nail for a long time, so late one Saturday night, after checking for clearances and moving a few mailboxes along the route from the airport to his place, he just hitched it to a log truck and moved it himself. Using the planes rear landing wheel to hold up the back. He got away with just a $10 ticket from a passing trooper for having too wide a load. The cop figured he had to cite Art for something and let go on his way when he realized that it was impossible to turn the aircraft around on the narrow two-lane road for a return to the airport.

Once he finally got it home and hoisted the plane up over the family-owned forty-pump gas station—the largest single-volume gas station in the United States in the 1960s—and it now sits off to the side of the home-style restaurant that serves up Bomber Burgers, chicken-fried steaks, and thick shakes. On most mornings, customers can find World War II veterans and their families dining in the restaurant, a ritual some have followed since the restaurant opened.

The property also has a children's playground and a museum, which is dedicated to World War II and houses an extensive collection of war memorabilia. Veterans meet here regularly to share stories.

The Bomber is a one-of-a-kind establishment, a place for classic American food and a reminder of times past and the men and women who served in World War II.

[img]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/RobtheToonMan/DSCN0441.jpg[/img]

Last edited by ToonMan; Sat May 26 2012 04:44 PM.

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

http://www.chevytrucks.org/squatch-art
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
ToonMan #328398 Sat May 26 2012 03:45 PM
ToonMan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
My Shop truck at the Bomber and a cartoon I did of it

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

ToonMan #328399 Sat May 26 2012 03:46 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That is so awesome. Love the way he defied those who would say neh! Gonna have to go there next time I'm down the coast. Did they restore the cockpit? Wondered if that's why the nose was off the plane in the last picture.

GasCan #328400 Sat May 26 2012 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rob, seriously, I read the story an I have one thing to ask. I want to know why yer foolin around on a bunch of pumps an tryin to make a living off them instead of doing the Art Lacey Biograpy????? Hey, tha story would have , could have been a PAID feature story in several publications !!!!!!!!

Rob, you have a talent an sorry muh friend , I'm seeing it wasted . You need to get serious on this project cause I see you're future with it an it's very BRIGHT!

Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
GasCan #328401 Sat May 26 2012 03:58 PM
ToonMan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
They are restoring the Cockpit. The nose is in the Museum there, as is the Ball Turret. The Museum was open when i was at the car show last Sunday and I snapped these Pics.

I also recommend the food at the Resaurant!!!!

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

ToonMan #328405 Sat May 26 2012 04:30 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Rob,Thanks for sharing this account.This trip is on my "Bucket List"

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
ToonMan #328406 Sat May 26 2012 04:31 PM
ToonMan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Ed,
I was there with my family for Dinner the other night and snapped photo's of the pictures on the walls. While waiting for my food to come, I read everything they had displayed regarding the history of the station and the plane. I then searched the internet for more info. I have loved seeing this plane since I was a Kid, and wanted to share it!!!

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

ToonMan #328447 Sat May 26 2012 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks Rob for the great photo's and story. I hate adding things to my already long Bucket list but thats one i will enjoy checking off!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Mike M. #328465 Sat May 26 2012 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes thanks for sharing I do believe it came from Tinker Air Force Base in OKC.

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
texacokie #328466 Sat May 26 2012 09:43 PM
ToonMan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
No problem Guys!!! You may be right texacokie!! I did not run into the name of the base in my research, only that it came from OK!!

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

ToonMan #328491 Sun May 27 2012 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rob,
Thanks for the story! You have to admire a guy like that, he had a plan and he was going to carry it out come hell or high water. This country needs more men like him! .........Looks like the restoration is going great too!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
LOWright #328523 Sun May 27 2012 08:49 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
great story on Memorial Day Wk end. definitely on my bucket list.

moonphone #328597 Sun May 27 2012 02:29 PM
ToonMan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I thought it appropriate for the weekend!!

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

ToonMan #328679 Sun May 27 2012 08:03 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thats awesome, Thanks for sharing. Does Tinker AFB have a B17 at their air park? Barksdale AFB has a B17 on exhibit as they were and still a bomber base. Memphis had the B17 Memphis Belle but lost it due to neglect. It is in Dayton, OH now getting a full blown restoration. Kinda sad driving over the bridge and seeing a big hole on Mudd Island where she once rested.

Joey

coke_and_stuff #328684 Sun May 27 2012 08:09 PM
ToonMan Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
That is sad!!! I know how I'd feel if Lacey Lady went away!!!

Bomber 8 10l.JPG

Rob the ToonMan
CAR-toons

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved